About SMC [Information You Should Know]
SMC is System Management Controller, and you should know SMC controls many Mac functions. The System Management Controller is hardware that is incorporated into Mac's motherboard. You may want to know the main functions of SMC. Just check this list:
- SMC responds to the press of the power button.
- It can detect and respond to the opening and closing of the lid of the MacBook.
- SMC can manage your MacBook's battery condition.
- SMC can sense the temperature inside the MacBook and adjust the fan speed.
- It can adjust your MacBook's lighting levels and control the keyboard backlighting.
- SMC can control the sleep mode functions.
There are many other essential functions that SMC controls. We will tell you when to do the MacBook Pro resetting SMC.
When I Need to Reset SMC on MacBook Pro
If you have one of the following troubles, that means it is time to reset SMC on your MacBook Pro.
- Mac won't shut down after pressing the power button.
- The keyboard backlight is abnormal.
- Mac won't start in safe mode.
- When you are closing or opening the lid, you find the MacBook cannot give the proper response.
- When you find the MacBook won't turn on after macOS Ventura upgrade.
- You may enter sleep mode suddenly, even if you are working with MacBook at that time.
- MacBook's fans are running too fast.
- Your MacBook Pro cannot charge through its built-in USB-C port.
- Your MacBook Pro cannot recognize the connected external devices.
Don't be bothered by these situations, and we will teach you how to do MacBook Pro resetting SMC properly.
First, you should check if the MacBook Pro is running with the T2 chip. If it is, you can skip to the next part to reset the SMC on MacBook Pro with a T2 chip. And here is a short video that can help you know how to do MacBook Pro resetting SMC exactly. You can also check the highlights here:
- 00:08 Explain what SMC is on Mac
- 00:41 How to reset SMC on Mac
- 01:24 How to reset SMC on Mac with the T2 chip
MacBook Pro Resetting SMC [Battery is Removable]
Before you do the MacBook Pro resetting SMC, you should check whether the battery is removable or not. If the battery is not removable, just skip to the next part.
Step 1. Shut down your MacBook Pro.
Step 2. Remove the battery. You can call for help at Apple Retail Store.
Step 3. Hold the Mac power button for 5 seconds.
Step 4. Reinstall the battery.
Step 5. Press the Mac power button, and you can turn on your MacBook Pro.
MacBook Pro Resetting SMC [Battery is Non-removable]
When you have a MacBook Pro whose battery can not remove, you should try to do the MacBook Pro resetting SMC with the following steps:
Step 1. Shut Down from the Apple Menu and wait for the MacBook Pro to shut down.
Step 2. Press the Shift + Control + Option and the power button simultaneously for 10 seconds. MacBook Pro has Touch ID, and the Touch ID button is also the power button.
Step 3. Release all the keys.
Step 4. Press the power button, and you can turn on MacBook Pro.
Suppose your MacBook Pro has the T2 chip. We can help you do a MacBook Pro resetting SMC with a detailed tutorial:
Step 1. It would help if you shut down the MacBook Pro from the Apple Menu.
Step 2. Press the power button or ID touch for 10 seconds.
Step 3. Release the power button or ID touch and wait for a few seconds.
Step 4. You can turn on the MacBook Pro by pressing the power button or ID touch.
If the method does not work, try the following method again:
Step 1. You should shut down the MacBook Pro from the Apple Menu.
Step 2. Press the Shift + Command+ Option for seven seconds.
Step 3. The MacBook Pro may turn and show the Apple logo, and you need to press the Shift + Control + Option and also the power button for another seven seconds.
Step 4. Release the keys and wait for a few more seconds.
Step 5. Turn on the MacBook Pro.
Although resetting SMC on MacBook Pro will not delete any data. You still may lose data when you need to reset the MacBook Pro with macOS Ventura or Monterey or you need to upgrade or download macOS Ventura.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac can recover lost data from the MacBook Pro, like Mac Trash Recovery, hard drive recovery, and Mac partition recovery. You can also recover data from USB with the Mac USB recovery option.
Are you using a cloud storage platform like Google Drive or OneDrive? You can recover lost data on MacBook Pro directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. Then you can access and read MacBook Pro's lost data anytime and anywhere with the cloud platform.
Follow the three steps, and you can win your data back:
Step 1. Select the drive to be scanned
In the main EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard window, there will be a list of the drives connected to your Mac. Select the drive you need to recover lost/deleted files from, and click the "Search for lost files" button.
Step 2. Select your lost data/files
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac will immediately scan your selected disk volume and display the scanning results on the left pane. You can sort the results to find the wanted files if you are looking for certain files.
Step 3. Recover lost/deleted data
Once you have found the desired files, preview the files and then click "Recover" to begin the recovery of your deleted/lost Mac files.
MacBook Pro with different chips or battery removal modes may need different operations when doing the MacBook Pro resetting SMC. If you feel confused with the steps in words form, you can choose to watch the provided video.
We recommend downloading the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac to avoid unnecessary data loss. Whether you want to recover deleted files on Mac or recover data from the formatted USB drive, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac will be a great help.
MacBook Pro Resetting SMC FAQs
After reading this passage, you have learned a lot about MacBook Pro resetting SMC. You can learn more in this part.
How to Reset the PRAM or NVRAM on a MacBook Pro?
Reset the PRAM and NVRAM on a MacBook Pro have the same operations:
- 1. Shut down your Mac first.
- 2. Press the power button on MacBook Pro.
- 3. Before the gray screen, press the Command + Option + P + R keys simultaneously.
- 4. Hold those keys until your computer restarts and you hear the startup sound a second time. If your MacBook has a T2 chip, you should hold the keys until the Apple logo appears and disappears for the second time.
- 5. Release the keys and turn on the MacBook Pro.
What happens when you reset the SMC on a MacBook Pro?
Resetting the SMC on MacBook Pro will adjust some low-level functions you generally can't modify in System Preferences. Like the power button mode, battery management, or sleep mode.
Suppose you factory reset the MacBook Pro by accident and lose essential data. You'd better download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac to recover data.
- 1. Locate the disk where you lost the data.
- 3. Scan the selected disk.
- 3. Preview and recover the lost data.
Does resetting the SMC on Mac delete everything?
Resetting the SMC on Mac will not delete anything. SMC is known as System Management Controller, and you should know SMC is hardware that is incorporated into Mac's motherboard, and it will not affect any data on your Mac.
Was This Page Helpful?
Editor's Pick Review
EaseUS Data Recovery Services
EaseUS data recovery experts have uneaqualed expertise to repair disks/systems and salvage data from all devices like RAID, HDD, SSD, USB, etc.