Factory resetting your laptop can often fix many system issues like slow performance, crashing apps, and various errors. It will restore all the settings to the factory default state. If you're experiencing system issues or just want a fresh start for your ASUS laptop, resetting from the BIOS provides a complete factory restore by erasing all data and customizations. In this EaseUS post, we will introduce you to how to factory reset ASUS laptop from BIOS.
A factory reset from BIOS restores your device to its factory default settings. It erases all changes made to the device and resets it back to day one when you first took it out of the box. All personal data, customized settings, installed apps, and programs will be cleared during the process, except the pre-installed applications. It wipes the device clean as if you just bought it brand new again.
Here are the main reasons why you might need to perform a BIOS factory reset:
- Experiencing troublesome problems that you can't resolve - Factory resetting ASUS laptop will wipe out any software problems and give you a fresh start.
- Clearing viruses or malware - Resetting to factory settings can wipe out stubborn viruses and malware that you can't delete.
- Preparing to sell or give away the laptop - Wiping your personal data and settings off the laptop protects your privacy.
- Purchased a used computer - Factory resetting the laptop will secure your privacy from leaking to the former owner.
- Fixing issues caused by a Windows update - If a bad update is causing problems, factory resetting will reset the changes.
- Updating BIOS error - Factory resetting will reset your ASUS laptop back to its original state.
📚Related reading: How to Factory Reset Dell Laptop From BIOS
You are now aware of when a factory reset from the BIOS is necessary, as well as its powerful capability. Be aware that a factory reset is a total wipe, all your personal data will be erased after the process. There are certain things you need to pay attention to.
- Remove external devices: Disconnect all the external devices and peripherals to avoid software conflicts between them.
- Save License Keys: Note down the license keys or registration info.
- Charge the device: Make sure your laptop has enough power to perform a factory reset.
- Backup important data: You need backup software to back up the important files in advance before factory resetting from BIOS.
Factory reset from BIOS will cause data loss, you need to back up all the significant files to avoid losing them. Windows provides a built-in backup feature. However, it doesn't support cloud backup, and there are limits to the types of things you can back up. Here, we recommend professional backup tools - EaseUS Todo Backup.
EaseUS Todo Backup offers you multiple backup options, such as system backup, disk backup, file backup, and OS backup. You can back up your computer to an external hard drive for the safety of all the essential data. In addition, it can help you clone a hard drive and factory reset a PC without data loss easily.
Share this post with your friends if it's useful:
Now that you have finished backing up files and other preparations, it is time to execute restoring your ASUS laptop to factory settings from BIOS.
Below are the detailed steps on how to perform the reset from BIOS:
Step 1. Restart your computer.
Step 2. Press "Del" when you see the ASUS logo on the screen to enter the BIOS.
Step 3. Select the Exit section and click "Load Setup Defaults / Reset to Default / Load Optimal Defaults / Restore Settings." (The option may differ depending on your motherboard).
Step 4. Press "Enter" and select "Yes" to confirm, and BIOS reset will start.
Step 5. Under the Exit section, navigate to "Exit Saving Changes" and select "Yes". Or, press "F10" to save settings and exit BIOS.
After solving this problem, you may also be interested in:
It is an effective way to carry out a factory reset ASUS laptop from BIOS when Windows is not working properly. This enables ASUS laptops to be reset to a clean slate and can resolve many system problems brought on by software errors. However, you should use EaseUS Todo Backup to create a backup for your critical data before performing a factory reset from BIOS.
1. How do I factory reset my laptop without opening settings?
- Click on "Start", then press Shift and click on "Restart".
- Follow the guide to the troubleshooting section.
- Click on "Reset my PC" and select "Keep my files".
- The system will reboot itself, and factory settings will be restored.
2. Can you force Reset a laptop?
Disconnect all devices such as USB drives, printers, webcams, and media cards (SD/xD). Press and hold the power button for about 17 seconds to drain the residual power. After that, Connect the power cable (for desktops) or AC adapter and battery (for laptops). Turn on the computer.
3. Why can't I factory reset my computer?
One reason you get an error while resetting your PC is that the recent changes made to your PC are incorrect. You can fix that by rolling back your changes using Windows' System Restore tool. This tool restores your system to a restore point created in the past, undoing your changes.
4. How to reset the laptop using cmd?
Press Windows + R and type "cmd". Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter at the same time to launch Command Prompt as administrator. Then, type "systemreset -factoryreset" on the Command Prompt and press Enter.
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Larissa
Larissa has rich experience in writing technical articles and is now a professional editor at EaseUS. She is good at writing articles about data recovery, disk cloning, disk partitioning, data backup, and other related knowledge. Her detailed and ultimate guides help users find effective solutions to their problems. She is fond of traveling, reading, and riding in her spare time.
EaseUS Data Recovery Services
EaseUS data recovery experts have uneaqualed expertise to repair disks/systems and salvage data from all devices like RAID, HDD, SSD, USB, etc.