With the widespread use of USB, USB partition loss or SD card partition corruption issues are no longer tiny problems. Even when you take every precaution to avoid it, USB drive or SD card partition loss issues may still occur. Here are solutions to recover and repair USB partition.
Part 1: How to Recover USB Lost Partition
Usually, data loss issues happen to USB drive partitions due to the following reasons:
- Deleted USB drive partitions. You may mistakenly or accidentally clean an entire volume when you tried to clean a specific partition.
- Power failure. Sometimes, power failure may cause partition inaccessible.
- Repartition. You repartition hard drive, all the existing partition will be deleted.
- Formatted or reformatted USB drive or SD card partitions.
Tips for USB Drive/SD Card Partition Recovery
You may encounter one of the situations above. If the whole partition is lost, your data is lost too. To recover data and the partition, you need to:
① Do not write anything to the USB drive or SD card
After data loss from the USB drive, your data is not protected by the Operating System as it was before. The OS thinks that the USB drive space is free and can be used. This means that the next copy operation, installation of programs, or even booting from the drive can permanently overwrite your lost files.
② Find effective USB/SD card recovery software to restore data
To restore data from the USB drive or SD card, the partition recovery software should be the first choice to recover data from a USB drive. It is a safe and efficient solution to recover deleted partitions and protect your data.
How to Perform USB Drive/SD Card Partition Recovery
EaseUS Partition Recovery is partition recovery software that recovers deleted or lost partition. It supports all kinds of partitions including FAT, NTFS, HFS, HFS+, HFSX, Ext2 and Ext3 volumes in Windows. This partition recovery software provides complete USB/SD card partition recovery solution to recover data from it with simple steps. It's fully compatible with all Windows systems.
Connect the device - external hard drive, USB or SD card on which you lost partition to your PC in advance.
Step 1. Run EaseUS Partition Recovery on your PC.
Select the device - external hard drive, USB or SD card where you lost partition(s), click "Scan" to continue.
Step 2. Wait for the scanning process to complete.
Let the program scan selected device and find the lost partition(s).
Step 3. Preview and restore lost partition(s).
Double-click on the partition which is marked as "Lost" with "Good" recoverability.
Preview the content of the lost partition. Click "OK" and click "Proceed" to start restoring the lost partition.
Step 4. Click "Finish" to complete the partition recovery process.
Note: If the program warns you that there is a conflict, back up the listed partition with essential data to an another secure location on your PC. Then execute the final operation to restore your lost partition.
Part 2: How to Repair Corrupted USB Drive/SD Card
If your USB or SD card gets corrupted or damaged, you should check if your corrupted USB or pen drive can be detected by Windows PC.
If yes, follow the methods below to repair it immediately.
If not, you can refer to USB not showing up or USB not recognized to find more solutions.
1. Check USB Errors and Repair
Windows has inbuilt tools for error checking. You can run the tools in "Properties". This option will check the drive for file system errors.
- Step 1: Open Windows Explorer, right-click on the removable disk that represents your USB or SD card. Choose "Properties".
- Step 2: Switch to the Tools tab, and then click "Check" in the "Error checking" area.
- Step 3: Complete the scan & repair process.
2. Repair Corrupted USB Using CMD
- Step 1: Connect the Android SD card to your PC using a card reader.
- Step 2: On the PC, click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.
- Step 3: In the command line, enter the command: chkdsk [USB drive letter]: /r/f.
- /f -- Will attempt to fix any errors on the disk
- /x -- Will force the USB drive to be dismounted before initiating the scan
- /r -- Will scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. It will take a longer time to scan the sectors and is optional, but it might be worth checking for bad sectors if your device is having issues
If your USB is physically damaged, you can also find more solutions to fix the damaged USB with the help of EaseUS.
Was This Page Helpful?
4 Ways to Recover NTFS Partition Without Losing Data
Accidentally Formatted/Deleted HP Recovery Partition, How to Recover
FAT Recovery | Recover Data from FAT Hard Drive
EaseUS Partition Recovery Software Free Download Full Version Windows 10/11
EaseUS Partition Recovery
- Recover lost, deleted and missing partitions
- Support partition recovery with multiple file systems