|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Is There A Free Partition Manager?||See real case and get basic info of Windows Disk Management...Full steps|
|Where Is Disk Management in Server 2008? Any Limitation?||To open Disk Management in Windows Server, you can press the Windows icon + R...Full steps|
|2 Best Partition Manager for Windows Server 2008||Check two software - EaseUS Partition Master and NIUBU Partition Editor...Full steps|
"I am doing some testing and looking for a free partition software that I can use on server 2008 among other operating systems. Anyone knows of anything?"
Speaking of free partition manager, Windows built-in tool - Disk Management will be the first choice for server users. It has the same features as the Disk Management on Windows 7/8/10/11, including changing drive letters and paths, extending, shrinking, formatting, delete the volume. Considering changing drive size, you'll use the most common features, "Extend Volume" and "Shrink Volume."
However, Disk Management is not perfect for you to extend a partition on Windows Server 2008. So, first, see its location and limitation, and then give a second thought to selecting a free partition manager.
To open Disk Management in Windows Server, you can press the Windows icon + R to wake the Run box. Type diskmgmt. MSC and click on OK.
- Disk Management only works to manage a disk with an NTFS file system.
- Is no allocated space adjacent to the partition? It can only extend volume while the allocated space is next to the volume. The "extend volume greyed out" happens without allocated space.
- Disk Can not shrink beyond the point that unmovable files are located. Therefore, windows disk management can not move these data generated by Windows.
What do we do if Windows built-in tool fails to extend or shrink volume? For data safety, it is better to download third-party software. Though these tools are not free, they are trusted software that performs to manage server partitions easily. If you need a helpful partition resizer on Server 2008, stay with us and see which software is worth downloading.
There is some disk partition software for Windows Server 2008. All of the tools are workable.
1. EaseUS Partition Master
To move, extend, shrink partition, you can opt to EaseUS Partition Master, which performs well on Windows 11/10/8/7 and Windows Server 2003, 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2), 2011, 2016, 2019, and the latest 2022, designed for organizations, enterprises, IT admin, technicians, consultants, and service providers.
EaseUS team has introduced the smart resize technique into the latest 16.5 version, letting users change size with a simple drag. Unlike Disk Management, this partition master can resize multiple file systems like NTFS, EXT3, EXT2, FAT32, FAT16, and ReFS. Moreover, to extend partition, it can move the unallocated space to a non-adjacent partition, increase c drive space without data loss and deletion.
Download EaseUS Partition Master or click "Pre-sale chat" to get more details from the EaseUS support team:
EaseUS Partition Master Enterprise
Your trustworthy Windows Server disk manager.
- Extend System drive, combine/split partitions.
- Clone disk, migrate OS to HDD/SSD.
- Convert MBR to GPT, GPT to MBR, no data loss.
- 1-click adjust disk layout, create volumes at one time.
More stunning features:
- Format - Support to format USB flash drive, SD card, internal hard drive, etc.
- Disk Converter: Convert MBR to GPT or vice versa, convert dynamic disk to basic disk or vice versa.
- Clone: Support clone all disk or single partitions from the old drive to a new one. Migrate OS from HDD to SSD.
- Create a WinPE bootable disk if the PC gets stuck.
- One-click Rollback - The progress won't go on if you stop to click on the "Execute Operation."
How to Extend A Partition with Partition Magic:
Option 1. Extend System C drive with unallocated space
- 1. Right-click on the System C: drive and select "Resize/Move".
- 2. Drag the system partition end into the unallocated space so to add it to the C: drive. And click "OK".
- 3. Click "Execute Task" and "Apply" to execute the operations and extend the C drive.
Option 2. Extend System C drive without unallocated space
- 1. Right-click a big partition with enough free space on the system disk, select "Allocate Space".
- 2. Select the system drive at the Allocate Space From (*) To section, and drag the end of System C drive into the unallocated space. Click "OK" to confirm.
- 3. Click "Execute Task", it will list the pending operations, and click "Apply" to save the changes and extend the C drive.
0:00-0:26 Extend System Drive with Unallocated Space; 0:27-0:58 Extend System Drive without Unallocated Space.
2. NIUBI Partition Editor
Another great partition magic is NIUBI Partition Editor, which can shrink, resize, move, merge partitions without data loss. Moreover, except for essential volume management, it can clone & Migrate partition, convert disk partition, fix system errors, etc.
How to Extend or Resize Partitions in Windows Server 2008：
Step 1. Download NIUBI Partition Editor from the official website.
Step 2. You can check all functions on the left side. Choose the partition you want to extend or shrink.
Step 3. Apply the pending operations.
See more articles about free disk partition software:
To Sum Up
This article explains to you one free partition manager - Windows Disk Management and two best partition resizers - EaseUS Partition Master and NIUBI Partition Editor.
Which software should we choose?
- For the AI space management - Pick EaseUS Partition Master. If your C drive gets a low disk alert, you can try the intelligent adjustment.
- For the fastest file moving - Pick NIUBI Partition Editor. It is equipped with a special file-moving algorithm that helps to resize volume 30% to 300% faster.
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Tracy became a member of the EaseUS content team in 2013. Being a technical writer for over 10 years, she is enthusiastic about sharing tips to assist readers in resolving complex issues in disk management, file transfer, PC & Mac performance optimization, etc., like an expert.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More