"I want to reset and reinstall Windows 10. But every time when I am going to Settings-->Update & Security-->Recovery-->Reset, it says 'There was a problem resetting your PC' and then stuck during the process. Anyone have a solution to fix this issue?"
About 'There Was a Problem Esetting Your PC' Issue
Whenever something goes wrong while booting system, Windows first runs into Automatic Repair wizard and fixes the issues automatically. And if it failed, you have to Refresh or Reset the machine. But at most times, Windows 10 reset failed and generated error messages as follows.
If you try to attempt for Refresh, you will see the error message 'There was a problem refreshing your PC. No changes were made '.
And if you're going to use Reset feature, there is another error message: There was a problem resetting your PC'.
Now, Windows 10 reset stuck issue with 'There was a problem resetting your PC' error message seems to be increasingly severe. More and more users are reporting this issue and ask for help online. So, here we collect a few possible ways that confirmed by some users to be helpful. You can try them one by one to 'There was a problem resetting your PC' error and Windows 10 reset stuck issue. The solutions also work for Windows 8 and 8.1.
Method One. Fix 'There Was a Problem Resetting Your PC' Issue Using Command Prompt
1. Go to Settings-->Update & Security-->Recovery-->Advanced startup, click Restart now.
2. In the new window, Select Troubleshoot --> Advanced options --> Command prompt.
3. Next, select the administrator account.
4. Now provide the credentials for the admin account you opted in the previous step.
5. Finally, in the Command Prompt window, type following commands and press Enter key after each:
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
You can now close the Command Prompt window, which takes you to Windows Recovery Environment screen. Select Continue option to get into your operating system. After a reboot, you'll find that 'There was a problem resetting your PC' issue is solved already.
Method Two. Clean Install Windows 10/8/8.1 Using Media Creation Tool
1. Click the link provided below to create an installation media for Windows 10 /8.1/8 using Media Creation Tool.
2. Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
3. On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
4. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select Advanced Options >Reset This PC>Remove everything.
Method Three. Revert to Previous Windows Version or Reboot from a WinPE Bootable Disk
If you still suffer 'There was a problem resetting your PC' or Windows 10 reset stuck issue after trying all the above methods, you can continue to fix it by reverting to previous Windows version or rebooting the PC from a WinPE bootable disk. Of course, it requires you to create a system backup image first. Then make an emergency bootable disk of EaseUS Todo Backup, which will help users to boot the system into a safe state and restore the system to a normal state with easy steps. Here EaseUS Windows backup software is ready for help at any time!
To create a WinPE bootable disk, follow these steps:
Step 1. Prepare a USB drive which can be written and read.
Step 2. Launch and install EaseUS Todo Backup on the Computer B.
Step 3. Find and click "Tools" and choose "Create Emergency Disk".
Step 4. Choose the Boot disk location. You can create an ISO file, a bootable USB or CD/DVD disc.
Step 5. Then click "Create" to start.
Was This Page Helpful?
- Top Twitch Clip Downloaders
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Top 10 Best Data Recovery Software on Windows and Mac
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes