|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Check Time Settings||Click the Windows icon and type CMD...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Repair System Files||Click Start and then select Control Panel...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Delete Distribution Folder||Click This PC and navigate to C:\Windows folder...Full steps|
|Fix 4. Run Troubleshooter||Search for "Troubleshooter" and download...Full steps|
For most Windows user, it is really common to be faced with this kind of situation: "An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 80070002 Windows Update encountered an unknown problem".
You might get this issue when you're trying to install some Windows 10 updates, such as KB3200970, as well as other numbers. You will notice that the update starts to download, but as soon as it gets to the screen where it should be installed, it will either fail immediately, and uninstall itself, or reboot your computer, and then fail and uninstall.
|EaseUS Todo Backup for Windows 11 - Key Takeaways|
Having a backup of all your important files is imperative. No one wants to lose their data. Your data contains valuable information that needs to have a record. Backing up your data is the best way to keep it safe. As Windows 11 is here, everyone is looking for Windows 11 system and data security solutions. EaseUS Todo Backup (website) comes with multiple features catering to the needs of a variety of Windows 11 users, including:
Solutions to Fix Error Code 0x80070002
When you got this kind of error, do not worry! Here are a couple of solutions for this issue, which is fairly easy, even for a person that doesn't have a lot of technical experience. Just follow the instructions in the methods below to simply resolve Windows Update errors 0x80070002 or 0x80070003.
Solution 1. Quick Fix: Check Time Settings
Details are the key to success, the time settings have a great influence on the Windows update. Simply check the date and time settings may solve your problem:
- Click “Control Panel”
- Open “Date and Time”
- Press on “Change date and time” and make corrections if necessary
- Configure your time zone before pressing OK
- Press on “Internet Time” tab before selecting “Change Settings”
- Check “Synchronize with an Internet time server” before choosing the Time Server from the list presented
- Press “Update Now”
- Press “OK” twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows
After this, restart your computer before accessing Windows Update. if You had Incorrect time set on your system then doing the above steps should fix the 0x80070002 error for you.
Solution 2. Check and Remove the Corrupted System Files
If the quick fix does not work, it is therefore advised to scan and see if you have any corrupted files on your system.
First, Scan and Check the Corrupted System Files
- Click Windows icon and type CMD, then right-click command prompt and choose Run as Administrator
- Type “SFC /scannow” and hit enter
- Wait for this process to complete
If you get a message that everything succeeded then try to run Windows Update again, if you get an error message which contains that corrupted files were found but cannot be repaired then please try to remove the corrupted files
Second, Remove the Corrupted Windows Update Files
1. Click "Start" button and select "Control Panel". Type "Administrative Tools" in the search box and press Enter.
2. On the pop-up windows find and double-click "Service". If you are asked to provide administrator password or confirmation, type password and give confirmation.
3. Click the tab "Name" to sort items alphabetically, after which you can find out Windows Update service easily. Right-click it and select Stop.
If deleting system files does not help you, you can fix the 0x80070002 error by deleting the software distribution folder to help you solve this case. Follow Solution 3 to get it fixed now.
Solution 3. Delete Software Distribution Folder to Fix 0x80070002
The Software distribution folder is found on the C drive of your system. It is in the folder where all downloaded Windows updates are stored.
It may turn out that some files in the folder are corrupt and therefore unable to or prevent the installation of updates. Deleting it can help in resolving error code 0x80070002. Here are the simple steps:
- Click "This PC" or "My computer"
- Navigate to "C:\Windows" folder.
- Search for and delete the folder named "SoftwareDistribution". You may also choose to rename the folder as “SoftwareDistributionOld” in case you do not wish to delete it.
- Restart your computer before accessing the Windows Update Store. You should be able to notice updates being downloaded and installed. This will make sure that this method works to fix error 0x80070002 code for you.
Solution 4. Try Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows Update Troubleshooter is always a method to consider when you have any problems running Windows Update. Go to the Microsoft official website, search for "Troubleshooter" and download it, and this tool is able to automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update.
Important Note: Backup Data When Error 0x80070002 Occurs
Data loss happens every day, any of the above solutions may cause data loss. So it is of vital importance to backup files. Some users think that backing up files may be very complicated. In fact, it is really easy if you have the help of a professional tool - EaseUS Todo Backup.
Step 1. To begin the backup process, click the Select backup contents button.
Step 2. Four data backup categories are listed: File, Disk, OS, and Mail.
Step 3. Lists of both local and network files are shown on the left-hand side of the screen. Expanding the directory so that you can choose the files to back up.
Step 4. Follow the guidance on the screen and choose the place where you want to store the back up.
Make sure that the backup is encrypted and set the backup schedule by clicking Options in Backup Options. You can also choose to start the backup at a certain time in Backup Scheme by clicking Options. There are many other customizable options that you can look into.
Step 5. You can store the backup file either on your computer, in EaseUS's cloud service, or on a network-attached storage device (NAS).
Step 6. EaseUS Todo Backup enables customers store backup copies of their files on a third-party cloud drive or on the company's own cloud storage.
If you want to back up your data on a third-party cloud drive, select Local Drive and scroll down to add Cloud Device. Then fill in your account information.
Click EaseUS Cloud, then sign up and log in with your EaseUS account if you wish to store backup files to EaseUS' own cloud storage service.
Step 7. Click on Backup Now to start a backup. When the backup process is done, it will display as a card on the left-hand side of the screen. A right-click will let you see more about how to handle the backup job in more depth.
FAQ on Fix Error Code 0x80070002 in Windows 10/11 Update
1. What does error 0x80070002 mean?
You might get this issue of Error(s) found: Code 80070002 Windows Update encountered an unknown problem when you're trying to install some Windows 10 updates, such as KB3200970, as well as other numbers. It means that Windows Update can't find the updates.
2. How do I fix a Windows 10 update error?
There are a few ways you can try to fix this problem.
- First, you can run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which is an automated tool that will check for common problems and try to fix them.
- Second, you can manually download the updates from Microsoft's Download Center and then install them.
- Third, you can try resetting the Windows Update components. This will delete any existing updates and then re-download and install them from scratch.
- Fourth, you can try temporarily disabling your antivirus software and then trying to install the updates again.
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Larissa
Larissa has rich experience in writing technical articles. After joining EaseUS, she frantically learned about data recovery, disk partitioning, data backup, and other related knowledge. Now she is able to master the relevant content proficiently and write effective step-by-step guides on computer issues.
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup
Smart backup tool for your files and entire computer in Windows 10/8/7.
Install Windows on Multiple Computers at Once? No Problem!
Learn how to install Windows 11/10/7 and special programs/software on a batch of computers. Use 10 minutes to do the 10 hours work without making a single mistake!Get Free Solution!