USB Flash Drive(USB thumb drive, or USB stick) enables people to have a convenient digital life. But what exactly is a USB flash drive? This article will show you its definition, advantages and disadvantages, main usages, types, and what you should pay attention to while using a USB flash drive.
It is a miniature, high-capacity, and removable storage product and connects to the computer via the USB port for a plug-and-play service. As a practical storage device, it has a relatively long history.
The USB flash drive was first introduced to the world in late 2000. Over the years, it has had more storage capacities and improved in every aspect after continuous optimization. And its price is going down year by year. Therefore, it is widely used in people's work and life, bringing great convenience. USB flash drive makes it convenient and easy to transfer data, store data, and backup folders to an external drive.
USB has many versions now after these years of development. You can check the list below and figure out your device's version.
In 1995, USB 1.0 was introduced to the world.
In 2000, USB 2.0 was put forward to people.
In 2008, USB 3.0 was invented with a much higher transfer speed.
In 2022, USB 4.0 was released.
After these years, people have summarized the pros and cons of the USB flash drive.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the USB flash drive? This chart will show it clearly.
|USB Flash Drive||
- Utility: the USB flash drive is easy to use, and most modern operating systems can read the USB flash drive without installing an additional driver. Once the USB flash drive is connected to a computer via the USB port, the user can format, copy, and delete it based on his needs. You can transfer the data on the USB flash drive to the computer, and you can easily transfer the data on the computer to the USB flash drive.
- Portable: the USB flash drive is portable and convenient to carry since it has no fragile moving parts inside, and most USB flash drives are small and light, most weighing less than 30g. Unlike the other removable drives, it does not require any external power supply, and it consumes little power even when it is plugged into the USB port and connects to the computer.
- Trustworthy: the USB flash drive is a safe storage device. Most are waterproof and can prevent dust from entering and destroying the data. Besides, it is hard to resist accidental external forces. Moreover, some USB flash drives provide a privileged mode and allow the users to encrypt their data to ensure their data is private and secret.
- Flexible Capacity: it has a large capacity even if it looks small. It can store more data than an ordinary CD, and its capacity is typically from 1GB to 512 GB, and even 1 T. People use USB flash drives with different capacities frequently in various fields.
People always choose a USB flash drive according to its function. The next part will show three main types of USB thumb drives.
In the past years, inventors have invented many different types of USB flash drive to meet people’s various needs. This part introduces three main types of USB flash drives based on their different usages.
Security Flash Drive
In addition to encrypting the stored content, the security USB stick can also be used as an ordinary USB stick. It can fortify the security of the data in the USB stick with physical or logical security ways, making it completely different from the other common USB flash drives in the form of protecting data.
Driverless USB Flash Drive
As a plug-and-play storage device, the driverless USB flash drive can be correctly recognized and used by the system in Windows Me or above. Most USB drives on the market are driverless, so users have different choices.
Bootable Flash Drive
The bootable flash drive makes people renew their impression of this portable product. Compared with other kinds of USB flash drives, it has the function of booting the system, as the name implies.
This table will briefly compare the three types of USB sticks mentioned above.
|Security flash drive||Encrypt the stored data.||Secure but a little expensive|
|Driveless flash drive||Encrypt the stored data.||Common and convenient|
|Bootable flash drive||Boot the system||Useful|
Different types of USB thumb drives have various application fields. Continue to read if you want to know more about its main usage.
What are the specific usages of the USB thumb drive? This part will introduce its main usages.
The typical usage is personal storage and business storage. In addition, it is widely used to exchange documents, transfer files from PC to PC, and remove pictures.
It is also useful when you need to repair your computer. The USB flash drive has been very successful in PC repair since it can deliver recovery or antivirus software to an infected computer and allow some information to remain in an emergency.
The USB flash drive is also popular among system management and network administrators. This is because they can put the setup information and the software used to manage, debug, and recover the system on the USB flash drive.
The USB flash drive has powerful functions, but it is better to be careful while using it. There is a note for using the USB flash drive.
The way of using the USB flash drive is tightly related to its life expectancy. It easily suffers from USB damage without a proper using method. Remove the USB flash drive from the operating system before plugging it out of the USB port. For example, click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" at the bottom of the computer screen taskbar in Windows and do not plug it until the indicator light goes out.
To sum up, as a portable and external storage device, the USB flash drive can help people with data security and bring people convenience.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tips & Tricks
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes