Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10/11
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Why Recovered Files Not Opening
Are you having the problem of being unable to open recovered files after data recovery with third-party utilities like EaseUS data recovery, Disk Drill, Recuva, ZAR, or Stellar? Many users complain that even the data recovery is successful; however, some recovered files can't open.
There are many factors that prevent users from viewing or opening recovered files. The recovered files can be Word documents, JPEG files, videos, or emails. The following are some typical causes:
- File recovery failure (partial data were not restored correctly)
- File corruption
- File encryption (due to Virus/malware infection)
- Data overwriting
Troubleshoot Recovered Files Not Opening or Unreadable
Solutions to these issues are different. We suggest you figure out the cause first and then refer to the related method to get rid of this issue, restoring all files.
Fix File Recovery Failure - Use Another Reliable File Recovery Software
When you perform incomplete file recovery on your storage devices with Recuva, Stellar, Disk Drill, or even EaseUS file recovery software, you probably cannot open recovered files. Here's what to do:
- First, make sure that you use the software in the right way.
- Second, choose a renowned and professional third-party file recovery software for help.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard would help you out of 'recovered files not opening or recovered files can't error on all Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP and Vista. It will scan and restore all lost files in 3 steps:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Select a disk location where the corrupted files are saved. Click "Scan" to start finding the broken files. EaseUS file repair tool allows you to fix damaged documents, videos, and pictures in differnet formats.
Step 2. After scanning, you can quickly find corrupt data by file type. If you want to repair damaged Word, Excel, or PDF, select Documents and filter a specific category. For pictures and videos repair, all the common types are suppored, including JPEG, PNG, BMP, MOV, MP4, GIF, and more.
Step 3. EaseUS file repair software will automatically fix broken files. You can preview the repaired files before recovery. Last, click "Recover" and save the recovered files to a different location to avoid data overwriting.
If you took the right steps, but still the recovered files won't open, it's very likely that the files have been fragmented or corrupted.
- 1. If EaseUS file recovery software fails to restore all of your lost files, contact us by emailing [email protected] with all details of your problem.
- EaseUS data recovery experts will contact you and help to resolve your problem as soon as possible.
- 2. Also, remember to save recovered files to another secure device. Don't let the revered data get further damaged in the original device or being overwritten by new files.
Fix File Corruption - Apply File Repair Tool for Help
When the recovered files are corrupted, you certainly can't open them by simply clicking. Under this circumstance, you'll need a reliable file repair tool for help. Stellar Toolkit for File Repair is not only famous for data recovery but also competent to repair corrupted files after recovery. With this tool, you don't need to worry about the recovered files not opening problem, Stellar file repair tool will complete file repair automatically.
Stellar data recovery program supports comprehensive file repair solutions. For instance:
- Repair corrupted Word files
- Repair corrupted Excel or Word documents for various reasons
- Fix multiple broken files at the same time
- Preview the repaired files for free
- Repair damaged files from PC, laptop, external hard drive, SD card, USB flash drive, etc.
The steps below display how Stellar data repair software repairs corrupted Excel files, which helps you fix the recovered sheets not opening issue.
Step 1. Select the Excel Files
Download, install and launch Stellar Toolkit for File Repair. Go to the software's home screen and click "Repair Spreadsheet".
Step 2. Repair the Excel Files
Browse to select the corrupt Excel files (XLS/XLSX). You can click on the Search option if you don't know its location. Once the file is selected, click "Repair". The software will initiate the scanning and repairing process.
Step 3. Preview and Save
Once the scan and repair process is over, the items will be displayed in a tree-view on the software's left-hand panel. Preview the items by double-clicking on them.
If the file preview is satisfactory, click the "Save File" button on the main menu. When prompted, choose the destination to save the salvaged file. Click "OK".
Fix File Encryption - Clean Virus and Decrypt Files with
If you lost an encrypted file, after the file recovery, you could decrypt it with your password. But if your files were encrypted by a virus, here's what you should do:
Step 1. Clean up the virus on PC and storage devices by running virus cleaner software. (Free Antivirus, Virus Removal Software, etc. can all work. )
Step 2. Use file decryption tools or software for help.
The tools listed can work to decrypt your files that can't be opened:
- McAfee Ransomware Recover
- File Encrypt Decrypt
- Decryption Tool
Data Overwritten - Restore Overwritten Files
Mostly, when your files get overwritten by a new file, you can neither open the old file nor restore it by applying normal file recovery software.
Fortunately, you may still have the last chance by restoring it from the previous version or restoring the overwritten file by performing System Restore. To do so, you can refer to recover overwritten files for a detailed guide.
The Bottom Line
To sum up, on this page, we discussed the reasons that cause your recovered files not opening and offered related solutions to resolve each issue. Remember, whenever you lost files, turn to EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for emergency help.
Or if you have no luck that recovered files were corrupted or damaged, can't open them, also use EaseUS file repair software to repair corrupted files effectively.
Recovered Files Not Opening FAQs
If you have more questions about recovered files not opening or EaseUS data recovery files not opening, check the following topics and see more guides.
Can't open recovered files from EaseUS?
There might be very different causes why EaseUS data recovery files not opening after recovery. The causes might be:
- The lost file itself has been damaged
- Physical damage or bad sectors in the storage device
- The file contents are overwritten with other data
- The damaged file system on the storage device
For these reasons, you can solve EaseUS recovered files not opening in different ways. You have the option of fixing files or fixing storage devices.
Why recovered files cannot be opened?
The recover files can't open if one or more of the following conditions occurs:
- Data recovery doesn't complete or fails.
- The files have been corrupted or damaged before recovery.
- The files have been encrypted due to virus or malware infection.
- New data has overwritten the files.
- The storage device has some problems, such as bad sectors, physical damage, etc.
Can't open recovered Word files?
After data recovery, if you can't open the recovered Word files, you can use EaseUS file recovery and repair tool to help you out. This program can repair corrupted Word files during the recovery process. There is no need for you to look for another Word file repair software.
How do I open recovered files?
You can open the recovered files in the way below:
- Find the file on your computer and double-click it. This will open the file in its default application.
- Open the application, then use the application to open the file. Once the application is open, you can go to the File menu at the top of the window and select Open.
Can corrupted files be recovered?
In some cases, it is possible to recover and fix the corrupted files. You can apply a professional file repair program to troubleshoot. If you can't recover and repair the damaged files, it may be necessary to delete the file and replace it with an earlier saved version.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny is a technology enthusiast, aiming to make readers' tech life easy and enjoyable. She loves exploring new technologies and writing technical how-to tips. On her spare time, she loves sharing things about her favorite singer - Taylor Swift on her Facebook or Twitter.
Author Jean has been writing tech articles since she was graduated from university. She has been part of the EaseUS team for over 5 years. Her special focuses are data recovery, disk partitioning, data space optimization, data backup and Mac OS. By the way, she's an aviation fan!
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More