How to Factory Reset MacBook Air Without Password
Are you musing about troubleshooting a faulty Mac or MacBook? Conducting a factory reset MacBook Air might eliminate several issues. Have you just got in touch with an outdated Mac and need to remember the password?
Wiping out a Mac or MacBook usually requires a password. But as you don't have that, this article will demonstrate the possible ways to factory reset MacBook Air without password. Mac users prefer factory resetting as it's the leading method to prepare their outdated Mac for a new owner to ensure no remnant data fall prey to fraudsters.
By the way, factory reset MacBook Air will lead to data loss, you should back up your Mac with EaseUS data recovery software in advance.
Back Up Your Mac and Never Lose Data
Back up and restore your MacBook/iMac without Time Machine, iCloud, or external hard drives.
Moreover, a factory reset is one of the best ways to eliminate MacBook viruses. Simply put, Mac Software Update will help you get a clutter-free and bug-free system as it will erase all contents and settings on MacBook Air. However, to better comprehend this topic, we will provide you with a video showcasing all the significant points of the factory reset MacBook Air without password.
- 01:29 Press & hold the Command + R keys until the loading bar and Apple logo pop up.
- 01:42 Choose the "Erase" button and hit the "Erase Volume Group" if available.
- 01:50 Hit "Disk Utility" in the menu bar and quit it.
- 01:53 Opt for "Reinstall macOS" and start the process of reinstallation.
However, let's see the top methods to factory reset MacBook Air without a password without any delay.
If you have utilized a MacBook Air or thought of selling an outdated Mac version, you should reset the device to its original settings. But have you ever thought of what will happen if you forget the password? It's possible to reset MacBook Air to factory settings without password by booting it into recovery mode. Let's see the steps below:
Step 1. Hit the "Apple" logo at the top left side of the MacBook's screen and the "Restart" option.
Step 2. Press the Command and R keys together until you notice a spinning globe or an Apple logo.
Step 3. MacBook Air will take some time to boot up at this stage.
Step 4. You might notice a screen wanting you to opt for a language.
Step 5. A "Recovery Mode" utility window on the subsequent screen will be seen. Choose Mac Disk Utility and continue.
Step 6. Then you should choose Macintosh HD and erase it.
Step 7. After erasing the Macintosh HD, you can reinstall macOS Ventura or Monterey.
This part will discuss unlocking and resetting MacBook Air to factory settings without a password. Let's see how to reset your password and unlock your MacBook air. This part contains two main sections, where we will discuss how to factory reset your MacBook Air with Erase Assistant and how to reset Mac password.
1. How to Reset Password and Unlock MacBook Air
You can unlock your MacBook Air by resetting your Mac password with the Apple ID. Therefore, you can continue typing a random password into the login box thrice. Your Apple ID will be linked to your Mac account in case you get the text below:
"In case the MacBook Air password has got oblivious to, you may reset it utilizing the Apple ID."
After that, you can utilize your Apple ID to modify your Mac password with the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1. Hit the arrow shown on the Password Hint window.
Step 2. You need to provide your Apple ID and password. Once done, hit the "Reset Password" option.
Step 3. Opt for "Restart to continue" whenever you're asked to restart your PC.
Step 4. In this last step, you need to unlock it by logging in with your new password.
2. Factory Reset MacBook Air with Erase Assistant
You can use Erase Assistant to reset your MacBook Air to factory settings before selling it. However, erase assistant can also eliminate your content and settings before reinstalling macOS, eliminating your settings, content, and every application installed on the MacBook Air. Follow the steps below to factory rest MacBook Air with Erase Assistant:
Step 1. You need to open "System Preferences" and select it from the menu bar.
Step 2. Choose "Erase All Content and Settings..."
Step 3. Hit Ok right after entering your MacBook Air's password.
Step 4. All the prompts need to be followed precisely.
Step 5. Your MacBook will restart quickly after the prompts have been chosen and approved for resetting.
Factory reset of your MacBook Air can eliminate all the data stored on your system. But you can now recover files after factory reset Mac without any hassle with the assistance of professional data recovery software, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac.
- Resolve complicated data loss situations, along with pictures, video content, music tracks, files, emails, and more can be recovered from Mac-based devices like HDD, SSD, fusion drives, Time Machine backup drives, memory cards, USB drives, cameras, and more. Despite not having a Time Machine backup, many Apple users downloaded it after erasing Mac or MacBook.
- Restoring lost data in a tragedy spurred by accidental deletion, formatting during a macOS update, virus attack, system breakdown, equipment malfunction, unplanned shutdown, or human mistake is upsetting. This data recovery software can recover lost files after macOS Ventura update.
- No matter their size, from a single Office Word document to a large number of images you save on a Mac, the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac can handle various data loss circumstances and restore empty trash mac.
Let's find out how to restore lost data with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac after a MacBook Air factory reset:
Note: You can create a backup of your Mac by clicking the "Disk Backup" on the left first. The software will recover the deleted files from the backup image. It can prevent further damage to your disk and data, making it safer and more reliable.
Step 1. Select the location and scan
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac and choose the disk where you lost data. Then, click "Search for lost files" to start scanning.
Step 2. Filter and preview lost files
After the scan, use the file format filter on the left or upper right corner to find the deleted files you need.
Step 3. Recover lost data or files
You can double-click a file to preview its content, or choose multiple files to recover them at once. Click "Recover" to restore the lost data to a local or cloud drive.
Don't go crazy anymore if you forget your Mac's username and password. When you forget your MacBook Air password, all the above methods have been demonstrated to unlock your Mac. But you need to take specific security measures because there's a chance your Mac password will be lost again.
If you're searching to sell it to a new customer or retrieve your Mac's former functionality, you must know how to reset your MacBook Air to factory settings without a password.
While factory resetting your MacBook Air, data will be lost, but you can recuperate each of them quickly with the help of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac. Download this professional tool today!
Factory Reset MacBook Air Without Password FAQs
To better understand this topic, the FAQs are given below:
Is it possible to factory reset my Mac without a password?
By accessing Recovery Mode and selecting Disk Utility or Reinstall macOS, you may factory reset Mac without password. Here's the detailed tutorial：
- 1. Hit the "Apple" logo at the top left side of the MacBook's screen and the "Restart" option.
- 2. Press the Command and R keys together until you notice a spinning globe or an Apple logo.
- 3. MacBook Air will take some time to boot up.
- 4. You might notice a screen wanting you to opt for a language.
- 5. A "Recovery Mode" utility window on the subsequent screen will be seen. Choose Mac Disk Utility and continue.
- 6. Then, you should choose Macintosh HD and erase it.
- 7. After erasing the Macintosh HD, you can reinstall macOS Ventura or Monterey.
Can a locked MacBook Air be unlocked?
Once you've found your Mac, use the passcode you made when you locked it using Find My to open it. If you forget that passcode, you have three choices: After logging in, choose your Macbook from the Devices option at iCloud.com/find. Follow the directions after selecting Unlock to confirm your authenticity.
Can I recover data after the MacBook Air factory reset?
It would be best to opt for "Restore" to find the lost Mac files you're willing to retrieve. On macOS, Big Sur, Catalina, or Mojave, it will immediately retrieve the lost files from Time Machine. Once your Mac has restarted, you may see and utilize any deleted files due to reinstalling macOS or Mac OS X.
How to use macOS Erase Assistant on MacBook Air?
Follow the steps below to use Erase Assistant on MacBook Air:
- 1. Open the Apple menu, and click "System Settings". After that, hit "General" in the sidebar.
- 2. On the right, select "Move or Reset", then choose "Erase All Content and Settings".
- 3. Enter your administrator credentials in Remove Assistant and select Unlock.
- 4. In contrast to your content and preferences, review the items that will be deleted.
- 5. If your MacBook has numerous user accounts, you may inspect the things by clicking the arrow button next to your username.
- 6. After clicking Continue, adhere to the on-screen directions.
Was This Page Helpful?
Dany is an editor of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. She focuses on writing articles about data recovery on Mac devices and PCs. She is devoted to improving her writing skills and enriching her professional knowledge. Dany also enjoys reading detective novels in her spare time.
EaseUS Data Recovery Services
EaseUS data recovery experts have uneaqualed expertise to repair disks/systems and salvage data from all devices like RAID, HDD, SSD, USB, etc.