Page Table of Contents
How can I easily transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10
"I planned to upgrade my computer from Windows 7 to the latest Windows 10 and I would like to keep all my programs. I know I can set up a new OS and reinstall all of them manually. But it is really a tedious job. So I was wondering that is there an efficient and easy way to transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Or would I have to reinstall all of them?"
Microsoft ceases support to Windows 7, including technical support, software updates, security updates, or fixes. Without continuous software and security updates, computers are at higher risk of viruses and malware attacks.
Now you have two choices to change Windows 7 to Windows 11/10:
- The first one is the internal upgrade to Windows 11/10. You'd better make a safe backup and prepare enough unused space before OS updating. Go to 'Internal upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10'
- The second choice is to take advantage of this opportunity for replacing your old PC with a new one. In this way, you’d better find a program migration tool to transfer installed programs, crucial data and user settings to the new computer. Go to ‘Transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 New Computer'
Which tool can help to transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10
It is an important task to find a reliable program that can help transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10 efficiently with ease. But which is the best one? Here to save your time and efforts, we recommend you full-featured EaseUS Todo PCTrans. This tool works best to transfer programs and files from the previous OS to new OS after Windows 11/10 upgrade in a new or local computer. Now you can download and try it.
Steps to transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10
1.Backup important data
Briefly speaking, the whole process is to create a backup file of the data, programs, and settings you want to transfer in Windows 11/10. If errors happened during the upgrade, you can immediately restore the backup file and retrieve the lost things.
Step 1. Create a backup file.
1. Connect your USB (flash) drive/external hard drive to your source computer. Launch Todo PCTrans, click "Backup & Restore > Start" on the main screen.
2. Select "Data Backup" to move on.
3. Click "Edit" at Applications, User Accounts, and Files columns to choose the specific data, applications, etc. to create a backup file.
Step 2. Recover via the created backup file.
1. Plugin your USB drive which stores the created backup file to the target PC and open EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Click "Backup & Restore > Start > Data Restore".
2. Click "Browse" to locate the Image file. Then, choose "Restore" and go to the next step.
3. Now, you can select Applications/Files/Accounts you want to restore.
Or you can click the "Edit" button to choose the specific data to be transferred flexibly. Click "Finish" to confirm. Besides, you can also click the edit icon > "Submit" to change the target path to recover and save the files.
2. Free up space for Windows 11/10 installation
Upgrading to Windows 10 needs 10 to 15 GB of storage space. And Windows 11 requires at least 64GB.
As Microsoft said, you can free up space through external storage and local PC settings. These two methods are useful but the process is a daunting task. If your C drive is run out of space, you can use App Migration of EaseUS PCTrans. After completing the above preparations, the next step is to follow the procedure to upgrade the OS.
Upgrade steps (Windows in-place upgrade/new computer):
Step 1: Purchase Windows 11/10 Edition.
Step 2: Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates
Here we introduce another method for transferring programs from PC to PC. Briefly Speaking, the files can be stored or transferred to the external hard drive. However, your applications can not migrate via copy and paste.
You can migrate the program, data, and user settings on the computer to another computer without re-installing. EaseUS PCTrans supports transferring Microsoft Office, Skype, Adobe software, and other common programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10.
Step 1. Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans on both PCs
On the source PC, select "PC to PC" on the main screen of EaseUS Todo PCTrans and move on.
Step 2. Choose transfer direction - Old or New Computer
"New" - Transfer all data from remote old computer to current new computer.
"Old" - Transfer all data from current old device to a new computer.
Step 3. Connect two computers
1. Select your target PC to connect via its IP address or device name and click "Connect".
2. Enter the login password of your target PC and click "OK" to confirm.
If you didn't see the target PC in the listed devices, you can also click "Add PC" to manually connect the target PC by inputting its IP address or device name.
Step 4. Select apps, programs, and software and transfer to the target computer
1. You can select and choose what you want to transfer from the current computer to the target PC.
2. After selecting desired applications and programs, click "Transfer" to start the transferring process.
- Windows Easy Transfer does not transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 11/10. It is not available in Windows 11/10.
Video Tutorial: Transfer Everything to New Windows 11/10
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More