- Posted by u/pepino358 from Reddit.com
How Do I Fix My WD External Hard Drive Not Showing Up on My Computer
Though it's no longer a new problem that external hard drive fails to work or suddenly fail to show up in PC. But it's still a tough issue for ordinary users when their external hard drive, USB or SD card etc devices suddenly become unrecognized, not working or responding in PC. Here below, you'll find 1 quick fix and 4 methods to fix WD external hard drive not working issue. If your external hard drive or storage devices are having this issue, relax and just follow to get your problem fixed right here now.
Solutions here support to fix:
- WD elements not showing up
- WD hard disk not detected
- WD easystore not showing up
- WD discovery not finding drive
- WD my boot not showing up
- etc., more issues
In this article, you'll learn:
- Quick Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
- Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Showing Up [2 Efficient Solutions]
- Bonus Tip: Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Working
- Extra Tip: WD External Hard Drive Recovery Solution
- FAQs About WD External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
Here is a quick guide that you may follow to fix the WD external hard drive not detected, recognized, nor showing up error on your own:
1. Change the USB port/Cable to detect WD external hard drive.
If this doesn't work, continue with the following guidelines.
2. Click Start > Type: devmgmt.msc in the Search box and hit Enter.
3. Open Device Manager > Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
4. Right-click on the USB Root Hub > Select Properties.
5. Go to Power Management and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
After this, reboot the PC and reconnect WD external hard drive to your PC, then you'll be able to use the drive again.
If this quick fix doesn't work, relax and just follow the below-offered methods to repair not working WD external hard drive or devices now.
You May Also Be Interested In: If you have essential data saved on the WD external hard drive, it's important that you turn to reliable data recovery software for help as recommended here in the below page.
We are going to talk about Western Digital/WD disk recovery tool and how to easily recover data from a Western Digital hard drive with it.
Here you have two methods to follow and fix WD external hard drive not recognized or undetectable error in Windows 10/8/7:
Method 1. Reboot PC into Safe Mode to Check if WD External Hard Drive Shows Up
- Go to Setting > Update & security.
- Tab on Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now.
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen
- Press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
Then check whether the WD external hard disk shows up. If not,
Method 2. Change Drive Letter to Make Urecognized WD External Hard Drive Showing Up
The other way is to change the drive letter with Disk Management tool so to make unrecognized or undetectable WD external hard drive to show up on PC:
- Right-click on This PC/My Computer > Select Manage.
- Go Disk Management > Find your external hard drive and right click it by choosing Change Drive Letter and Path...
- Assign the drive with a new letter that doesn't exist in your PC and mark the Partition as Active.
- Click OK.
- Restart PC and your External hard drive will show up and work again.
Video Tutorial to Make WD External Hard Drive Showing Up
If the WD drive still doesn't work properly after making it show up on PC, contine with fixes in the next video for help. Here are more details:
- 00:41 - Update USB Driver
- 01:22 - Reinstall USB Driver
- 01:56 - Create New Partitions
- 02:41 - Assign New Drive Letter
- 03:43 - Fix File System Errors
With the above-listed solutions, you can also apply them to fix similar or the same issues on other types of devices, including:
When WD external hard drive, USB or other brands of storage devices are not working or not responding to any operations in your PC, don't worry. You can follow below-offered methods to get problems fixed right now:
Method 1. Update WD External Hard Drive Driver to Make It Work
1. Click on Start > Type: devmgmt.msc in Search to open Device Manager by hitting Enter.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers > Right-click every USB device found there and select Uninstall.
3. Then check out whether any devices show up as unrecognized or not:
- If WD external hard drive shows unrecognized, go to drivers tab and delete/uninstall the driver. Then check out whether the external hard drive shows up in My Computer/My PC or not.
- If it doesn't show up, reboot or restart PC;
- If it shows up but disappears later, repeat above steps and go to Disk Management, change the drive letter of your WD external hard drive and reconnect it to PC to let PC detect it again.
Method 2. Repair Corrupted System Files/Bad Sectors on Not Working WD External Hard Drive
Corrupted system files or bad sectors on WD external hard drive or other storage devices would block your device from working or responding in Windows PC.
Professional partition manager software from EaseUS will repair bad sectors and fix corrupted system files to make your WD external hard drive work again. Free download, install it and follow below guide steps to fix bad sectors and corrupted system files on your drive now:
After fixing not working external hard drive on your Windows PC, you may continue using it for storing fancy data again.
But if you lost files or valuable data on the drive, don't worry. Professional WD external hard drive recovery solution offered by EaseUS hard drive recovery software is what you exactly need. It will simply restore lost files from WD external hard drive within 3 simple steps on Windows 10/8/7 etc PC.
If you lost files after fixing WD external hard drive not working issue or cannot access saved data in your storage devices, just free download EaseUS hard drive recovery software and let it help now.
If you have further questions about WD exteranl hard drive, follow and find answers here.
1. Why can't I see my WD Passport?
The reasons of why WD Passport external hard drive not showing up could be various, including: drive letter conflict, outdated drive driver, corrupted file system error, etc.
2. What should I do when the WD 2TB external hard drive is not showing up on my PC or in Disk Management?
- First, change usb port or usb cable.
- Reboot PC into safe mode, check if WD shows up.
- Change drive letter.
- Check file system error, fix existing bad sectors.
- Create new partition on WD.
3. Can WD hard drive be repaired?
When WD external hard drive contains several bad sectors, it's essential that you take WD hard dive repair tool like EaseUS Partition Master for help. But if WD exteranl hard drive contains too many bad sectors, it's essential that you take WD HDD repair tool to upgrade data to another healthy disk with ease.
Was This Page Helpful?
- Top Twitch Clip Downloaders
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Top 10 Best Data Recovery Software on Windows and Mac
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes