Carefully follow the detailed guide to fix Android & SD card error INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE without worrying about losing data. First, download Android data backup and recovery software to backup Android files to PC, to ensure that nothing is going to lose during the fix; and then apply each of the suggested methods to resolve the insufficient storage issue while installing apps.
Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE
I'm getting "Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE" error while installing the application on my device today. I have deleted some files on my SD card, but still face the issue. I'm sure it's not the issue with the space on SD card. Can anybody suggest how to resolve this?
It's said that 9 out of 10 Android users have been facing the insufficient space on Android while installing an app or whatever, even though there is a plenty of storage space on both the internal memory or external SD card. How did the failure come?
Primarily, you got to know how an Android app installation or update takes effect. For example, the first time an app is installed, and the APK file is saved as /data/app/-1.apk (1.apk). When the app is to be updated, the updated APK file is saved as /data/app/-2.apk (2.apk). Under normal circumstances, the first version (1.apk) gets deleted.
Now you ought to get the point. When an updated app is about to install, whereas the old APK file was not deleted, and it's really happened a lot amongst many Android devices. 1.apk stays where it was, the system is now going nowhere to place the 2.apk only sends an installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE.
So, how are you going to troubleshoot the wrongly reported "insufficient storage" error? Usually, just reboot your device once or twice would clear the message away, but it'll surely come back soon. We know it's a nightmare for Android players not being able to install desired game apps, music apps, video apps and others due to such irritating prompt.That's why we did a lot of research and studies, to verify the following 3 fixing methods that can fix INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAG error.
First of all, before attempting to try the workarounds, never, on any account, forgot to backup Android to PC in advance. It's an essential procedure that you must do it likewise.
Step 1. Backup Android, including contacts, messages, pictures, videos and anything important
1) Download and install EaseUS MobiSaver for Android on a Windows PC.
2) Connect the target Android device to the PC, and wait for the software to recognize the device. Click "Start".
3) The scanning process is for searching the existing and lost data on the Android phone.
4) All the Android data is found and displayed, select all files that you'd like to save a copy and click "Recover" button. You can put the bakcup file to the PC storage or other storage media like a USB flash drive or a memory card.
Step 2. Check each workaround to fix installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAG
EaseUS Android data recovery tool has ensured the data safety, so you can carefully check each workaround we provided in the below part to nail it.
Fix 1. Delete both apk files
1) Uninstall the app
2) find the path of both files and use your method to delete them all.
Or just run(this is somewhat higher leveled):
adb shell "pm uninstall"
adb shell "rm -rf /data/app/-*"
Fix 2. Add android:installLocation attribute
1) In your AndroidManifest.xml file add android:installLocation="preferExternal" within your manifest tag.
2) Go to settings --> storage --> click on cached data and clear the cache data in your device. This will clear the cache and free the space.
3) Reconnect your device, clean your project and again run it on the device. The project will now run on your device.
Fix 3. Increase Android emulator's memory capacity
1) Right click the root of your Android Project, go to "Run As" and then go to "Run Configurations...".
2) Locate the "Android Application" node in the tree at the left, and then select your project and go to the "Target" tab on the right side of the window.
3) look down for the "Additional Emulator Command Line Options" field and finally paste "-partition-size 1024" there.
4) Click Apply and then Run to use your emulator.
Was This Page Helpful?