Reinstalling Windows 10 can usually make your PC as good as new (or even better). For this reason, it is generally performed as a solution when your PC stop working or doesn't work as well as it once did and cannot be repaired by some other methods. Have you encountered such a situation and been hesitated to do the job because it may cause a data loss disaster, or it is a little bit difficult, especially when you have not an installation CD?
3 Ways on How to Reinstall Windows 10 Without CD/USB
Here, we created troubleshooting solutions to reinstall windows 10 without losing data. There are three ways to reinstall windows 10 without CD in different cases. I hope it is helpful to deal with your problem.
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Tip 1. Reset the Computer||
|Tip 2. Create an Installation Disk||
|Tip 3. Use a System Image||
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC or you want a fresh copy of Windows 10, you can reinstall Windows 10 to try and fix your issues and return your PC to a cleaner state.
How to Reinstall Windows 10 Without Losing Data (Back Up)
Before you begin, make sure you back up data. To keep your computer data safe, we recommend you use the professional data backup and recovery software for Windows 10/8/7. EaseUS Todo Backup can back up files or folders with simple steps.
Step 1: Launch EaseUS Todo Backup software and then choose "File Backup", "Disk/partition Backup" or "System Backup" for different backup purpose.
Step 2: Choose the system, disk partition, files or apps that you want to back up. Then select a destination where you want to store the backup file.
Step 3: Click "Proceed" to start the data backup process.
- It is recommended to use EaseUS Todo Backup's System Backup feature for newly purchased computers or computers that have just installed the system. This will make a backup of the original clean system. You can use this image whenever you need to restore it to the original state.
For Application Backup:
Before you reinstall the system, you may still have some programs, data, and accounts to restore after reinstalling the system. EaseUS Todo PCTrans can help you. This PC transfer software moves applications, files, and accounts between computers in 1 click. It can also help you selectively back up your installed programs with all its associated data and registry keys in Windows 10.
It's time to reinstall Windows 10 without losing data. In the following sections, you will learn how to reinstall Windows 10 without CD in three ways.
- 1. Reset Computer to Reinstall Windows 10 Without CD
- 2. Create a Windows Installation Disk to Reinstall Windows 10
- 3. Use a System Image to Reinstall Windows 10 Without CD
This method is available when your PC can still boot properly. Being capable of solving most system problems, it won't be different from a clean install of Windows 10 via an installation CD. Follow the steps below to reset the computer to reinstall Windows 10 without CD.
Step 1. Go to "Start" > "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Recovery".
Step 2. Under "Reset this PC option", tap "Get Started".
Step 3. Click either "Keep my files" or "Remove everything", depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact. Either way, all of your settings will return to their defaults, and apps will be uninstalled.
Step 4. After the process, a window will pop up, saying that your apps will be removed. Click Next to go on.
Step 5. In Ready to reset this PC interface, click the Reset button to reinstall Windows 10 without CD or personal file loss.
This method is available when your PC cannot boot properly. It will use a tool to create installation media, which you can use to completely wipe the disk and install a fresh copy of Windows 10. If you don't want to use a CD or DVD, you can use a USB, SD card, or external hard drive. Before starting, prepare a USB drive (about 8GB or larger).
Step 1. Download the media creation tool from Microsoft on a working PC
Step 2. On the "What do you want to do?" interface, select "Create installation media for another PC", and then select "Next".
Step 3. Choose the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. Select media tool you want to use:
- USB flash drive - connect a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space to your computer.
- ISO file - Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the ISO file is downloaded, go to the location where the file is saved, can use the Windows Disk Image Burner to create an installation DVD with simple steps.
After the drive is selected, the tool will start downloading Windows 10, and it will take a few minutes to finish the downloading process.
Step 4. Connect the USB flash drive to the new PC where you want to install Windows 10.
Step 5. Restart your PC and boot your PC from USB or DVD media. If not, you need to press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) immediately after you turn on your PC to open the boot menu and change the boot order.
Step 6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Windows 10 installation. Enter your Windows 10 license key when a pop-up appears for a product key during installation.
After all these steps, all you need is to wait patiently, and you'll be able to clean install Windows 10 on your PC.
This method works no matter your PC can boot properly or not. But note that it helps only when you have created a recovery drive before. Next, we will show you how to use EaseUS backup software to create a system backup when you think your PC is in the optimum state.
- Please notice that if you want to backup Windows 10 system to an external hard drive, USB, or even SD card, move important data to another safe location to avoid data overwritten in advance.
Step 1. Connect your external hard drive, USB or SD card to your PC.
Note: The storage space of your external storage device should be as equal to or even bigger than your system C drive. Otherwise, the system backup process may not succeed.
Step 2. Launch and run EaseUS Todo Backup on your Windows 10 PC and choose OS. Or, you can click the menu icon at the left top corner to expand the feature pane on the left, and select the backup mode - System Backup.
Step 3. Select Windows 10 system that you want to backup and click Browse to navigate and select your external hard drive, USB or SD card as the Destination for saving Windows 10 system image.
Step 4. Click Proceed to start backing up your Windows 10 System to an external storage device now.
When the backing up process finishes, your Windows 10 system will be saved to the selected external storage device with a compressed form by then.
See? Just three simple steps can help you make a system recovery drive. And then, you can restore Windows 10 from the recovery drive whenever you need it. It is easier and faster than reinstalling Windows 10 from an installation CD.
To restore Windows 10 to your PC
Step 1. Open EaseUS Todo Backup, click the "Recovery" button on System Backup column.
Or click "Browse to Recover" to select the system backup you created in advance.
Step 2. Choose one History version of the backup image, after confirming the contents, click the "Next" button.
And select the target location to restore your Windows.
Step 3. Then click "Proceed" to start backup recovery.
Wait for the process to complete, restart your computer and then you should be able to run Windows OS on your computer again.
You have learned how to reinstall Windows 10 without CD or USB and how to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive. You can choose a method to reinstall your Windows 10/8/7 according to your needs.
Reinstall Windows 10 Without CD FAQs
You can perform a clean install of Windows 10 even if you don't have the original installation DVD if you have tried any one of these solutions. If you still have problems, you can read the following questions and answers.
How do I reinstall Windows without a disk?
Restore without an installation CD:
- 1. Go to "Start" > "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Recovery".
- 2. Under "Reset this PC option", tap "Get Started".
- 3. Choose "Remove everything" and then choose to "Remove files and clean the drive".
- 4. Finally, click "Reset" to begin reinstalling Windows 10.
How do I clean and reinstall Windows 10?
Use the installation media to perform a clean install:
- 1. Download Media Creation Tool on another PC (connected to the internet).
- 2. Create Windows Installation Media on empty USB (min 8GB).
- 3. Remove the old disk and connect the new SSD (only the SSD should be attached to the PC).
- 4. Boot PC from Installation Media.
- 5. Set language and other preferences.
- 6. Boot PC from Installation Media... Read More>>
How do I wipe and reinstall Windows 10?
In Windows 10, there is a built-in tool that can wipe your PC and restore it to a factory-fresh state. Navigate to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Then, select Get started under Reset this PC. You can keep your personal files or remove everything based on your actual needs.
Was This Page Helpful?
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Top 8 Free Video Editing Software with NO Watermark in 2020
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes