Received 'USB\Device_Descriptor_Failure' error message in Windows 10, help!
"Hey there, do you have any clues about what to do when the USB drive suddenly become unrecognized with an error message "USB Device Descriptor Failed'?
I Googled this error message; it means that my USB drive isn't recognized by my computer. And I don't know what to do with this error. So do you know any ways or solutions that can make my USB drive work again? How?"
Have you ever met such a problem that your USB drive or SD card suddenly stops working or unable to respond while connecting to PC? If you have a similar problem or device not recognized error, don't worry and you can follow offered methods here below to get your case solved now.
Method 1. Fix 'USB\Device_Descriptor_Failed' Error with Windows 10 Troubleshooter
If you are a Windows 10 user, having USB or SD card, etc. devices not recognized error in the computer, you may follow to apply Windows 10 Troubleshooter to fix 'USB\Device Descriptor Failure' error now:
- 1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog;
- 2. Type: control panel and hit Enter to open Control Panel;
- 3. Type: troubleshooter in Control Panel and click "Troubleshooting";
- 4. Click "Configure a device" under "Hardware and Sound"; log in with administrator password to confirm the operation.
- 5. Open "Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter" and click "Next" to run the troubleshooter;
- 6. Follow the onscreen instructions to finish the troubleshooting job to fix and repair unrecognized USB drive.
Method 2. Update USB Driver and Repair Bad Sectors which Cause 'USB Isn't Recognized' Error
When USB driver is outdated in a new Windows system or bad sectors exist on the USB drive, the USB drive may become unrecognized or undetectable at very high risk. So now you can follow and repair USB isn't recognized with 'Device Descriptor Failed' error now:
Part 1. Update USB Drivers
- 1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog and type: devmgmt.msc, hit Enter to open Device Manager;
- 2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus Controller", locate and find USB device with a yellow exclamation mark;
- 3. Right-click on the USB device and select "Update driver software";
- 4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and choose "Generic USB Hub";
- 5. Then click "Next" and Windows 10 will update the USB drivers for you.
After this, you can reboot PC to see whether the USB can be read and detected or not. If not, follow Step 2 to continue the job.
Part 2. Repair Bad Sectors
Here we'd like to recommend you try professional partition manager software to fix and repair bad sectors on the USB drive effectively. You may free download EaseUS Partition Master with the below steps to make the USB drive work again:
Step 1. Open EaseUS Partition Master on your computer. Then, locate the disk, right-click the partition you want to check, and choose "Advanced" > "Check File System".
Step 2. In the Check File System window, keep the "Try to fix errors if found" option selected and click "Start".
Step 3. The software will begin checking your partition file system on your disk. When it complets, click "Finish".
Part 3. Disable Fast Startup to Solve USB\Device Descriptor Failure issue
- 1. Connect not recognized USB with PC;
- 2. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type: control panel and click "OK";
- 3. Select "Control Panel" > "System and Security" > "Power Options";
- 4. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" > "Change settings that are currently unavailable";
- 5. Scroll down to "Shutdown" settings > uncheck "Turn on fast startup" > "Save changes";
- 6. Reboot PC to keep all changes.
After this, you can reconnect USB drive with PC and continue using your USB drive again.
Was This Page Helpful?
- Top Twitch Clip Downloaders
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Top 10 Best Data Recovery Software on Windows and Mac
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes