Table of Contents
About the Author
Reviews and Awards
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
Why Excel Files Corrupted on Mac
Excel files and other documents are essential on Mac; you don't want to find any documents corrupted when you need to access them. How do you know if your Excel files are corrupted and you need to repair corrupted Excel file Mac? Here are some symptoms of a corrupted Excel file on Mac:
- While editing the Excel on Mac, the file suddenly closed.
- Excel files show up as 0kb or 0 bytes on Mac.
- Unable to open the Excel files on Mac at all.
- Incorrect information shows up in the Excel files on Mac.
- Parts of items in the Excel are suddenly missing.
- Keep receiving error codes when opening or editing the Excel files.
If you want to know the possible reasons for Mac Excel corruption, read the following information can help:
- The application used to open Excel files are outdated.
- Bad sectors appear on your internal hard drive or other storage devices.
- TVirus or malware may cause Excel files to be corrupted on Mac.
- Suddenly, power off may corrupt Excel files, especially when editing or saving the files on Mac.
Now, let us check how to repair corrupted Excel files on Mac with four effective methods. Don't hesitate to share this helpful passage with more Mac users to help them repair corrupted files on Mac!
1. How to Repair Corrupted Excel File Mac with Software
Let professional Excel repair software handle the Excel corruption issues on Mac will be a clever choice. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac is one of the most reliable recovery and repair programs you can find. With this software, you will never be troubled by data loss or data corruption issues.
It can help you recover and repair most files on Mac and other storage devices:
- Repair corrupted documents, including Word, Excel, and PPT documents.
- Mac video repair. You can easily repair corrupted MP4, MOV, MKV, and other videos.
- Repair corrupted photos on Mac. You can repair corrupted JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, and other images with EaseUS.
Although data recovery is the essential function of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac, it also can deal with corrupted files. You will need a few steps to repair corrupted Excel files on Mac:
Step 1. Select your disk
Select the disk location where you lost the corrupted files. Click the "Search for lost files" button.
Step 2. Scan for corrupted files
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac will immediately scan your selected device and scan for lost Word/Excel documents, videos, PDF files, and photos on the left pane.
Step 3. Repair and recover corrupted files
In the scan results, select the files to preview. If the file is corrupted, the software will automatically repair the corrupted file, and then you can preview it. Then, click the "Recover" button to recover the repaired files.
2. Repair Corrupted Excel Files on Mac with Excel Repair Tool
Microsoft Excel has a built-in repair tool to help users repair corrupted Excel files on Mac or Windows computers. Some users may open the Excel files on Mac with the Numbers application, but you need to repair corrupted Excel files on Mac with MS Excel. Check for the detailed tutorial:
Step 1. Launch MS Excel for Mac on your MacBook Pro/Air or iMac.
Step 2. Choose "File" and "Open" to select the corrupted Excel files on Mac.
Step 3. Select "Open and Repair" when you are trying to open the Excel files. Then, MS Excel will repair corrupted Excel files on Mac automatically.
Some macOS versions cannot find the Open and Repair option in MS Excel. If you cannot fix this issue with this method, try the next method. If you lost Excel files on your Mac during the repair, you can read the following passages to recover them.
Recover Unsaved or Lost Excel File on Mac
This article introduces two ways to help you recover lost unsaved Excel file document on Mac from the Temporary folder and AutoSave. Read more >>
3. How to Fix Excel Corruption on Mac by Changing File Format
It may help to save Excel files as other formats when you cannot open .xlsx extension Excel files on Mac. If the Excel files are in the wrong file format, you can convert the files to the correct format. It is straightforward to save Excel files as other formats on Mac:
Step 1. Find the corrupted Excel files on Mac and open them with MS Excel.
Step 2. Choose "File" from the top menu bar and choose "Save as".
Step 3. Then, you can choose to save Excel files in different formats. Choose "Web Page" and "Save" to confirm.
How to Fix Excel File Open But Not Visible
In this post, we will tell you what to do if you open an Excel file but find data not visible on your Mac. Read more >>
4. Restore Well-functional Excel Files from Time Machine Backup
If you have enabled Time Machine to back up Excel files frequently on Mac, you can restore the backups to regain all the well-functional Excel files on Mac. Check the following steps to learn more information:
Step 1. Launch Mac Time Machine by clicking "Enter Time Machine" in the top menu bar.
Step 2. Find the target Excel files from the recent backups. You can quickly locate the files by the backup date.
Step 3. After selecting the Excel files, click "Restore" to get them all back. Remember to delete the corrupted Excel files on Mac to avoid confusion.
(2023) How to Restore from Time Machine: for Data Recovery and macOS Recovery
Lost some essential files on Mac? If so, you need to understand How to Restore from Time Machine. Read more >>
To Wrap Up
After reading the whole methods, you should know the limits of some methods:
- ❌You cannot use the Open and Repair feature on some Macs.
- 📝If you cannot open the Excel files, you cannot save them in other formats successfully.
- 📰You need an Excel backup with Time Machine, and you cannot restore files when Time Machine is not enabled.
The first method suits most situations, no matter the corrupted Excel files' conditions. Download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac and retrieve/repair the Excel files on Mac today!
Repair Corrupted Excel File Mac FAQs
Here you come to the end of this passage. Sharing this passage on your social media can help you find this page easily.
The last section is all about some frequently asked questions:
1. Can I repair corrupted Excel files on Mac by running First Aid in Disk Utility?
Unfortunately, you can repair Mac disk in Disk Utility by running First Aid, but you cannot repair a corrupted Excel file. This built-in repair utility focuses on repairing the errors in system files. Don't bother to run this utility in Mac Disk Utility.
2. How to repair corrupted Excel files on Mac?
You can repair corrupted Excel files on Mac with four methods:
- 1. With EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac.
- 2. Use the Open and Repair option in MS Excel.
- 3. Save corrupted Excel files in web page format.
- 4. Restore Excel files from Time Machine backup.
3. Why are my Excel files corrupted on Mac?
- 1. An obsolete program is being utilized to open Excel files.
- 2. Your internal hard disk or other storage devices start to have bad sectors.
- 3. Excel files on Mac may become corrupted as a result of malware or viruses.
- 4. Excel files may become corrupt if a power outage occurs suddenly, especially if they are being edited or saved on a Mac.
4. Can I open an Excel file on Mac?
Although Excel files are usually used on Windows OS, you can open an Excel file on Mac with Microsoft Excel for Mac. This is the most recommended method, and you can also open the Excel files on Mac with the Numbers.
Was This Page Helpful?
Dany is an editor of EaseUS who lives and works in Chengdu, China. She focuses on writing articles about data recovery on Mac devices and PCs. She is devoted to improving her writing skills and enriching her professional knowledge. Dany also enjoys reading detective novels in her spare time.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More
Seagate Hard Drive Not Showing Up on Mac? Fix It!
Jean/Apr 26, 2023
How to Recover Data from Dead MacBook Pro Hard Drive in 2023
Tracy King/Apr 21, 2023
How to Recover Deleted/Disappeared Notes on Mac [Mac Notes Disappeared]
Tracy King/Feb 22, 2023
5 Easy Ways to Retrieve Your Suddenly Disappeared Files on Mac
Jean/Apr 24, 2023