I still remember thinking the 10 GB drive in my Apple computer PowerBook G4/400 was more than I'd ever need - but only until I migrated to OS X. Then it was time to move to 20 GB, and someday soon I'll be replacing that drive with a 40 GB one. Part of that is because OS X is huge in comparison with OS 9. But a big part is programs and installers that accumulate and never get removed. So I decided to look at the 80 GB hard drive in my iMac to see how much unneeded stuff I could eliminate. And a ton of useless files have been found. A good free cleaner for Apple computer is really necessary to save your previous disk space.
There are some methods that you can manually clean up startup disk Mac and to free up the hard disk space.
Methods to manually clean up Mac disk
1. Empty the trash: Most of the time, it happens that Mac users delete the files but they forget to periodically empty the trash. As a result, those useless files unnecessarily occupy the hard disk space and thus making your system slow. You can do so by selecting finder and clicking on empty trash.
2. Delete logs and temporary files: Using internet or downloading or installing files add some temporary files into the system. Remove unwanted logs and temporary files to freeing space on Mac startup disk.
3. Archive old or junk files: Remove or delete the files that are no longer needed or you can also copy or back up them into CD or other secondary storage medium.
4. Uninstall unused software or application: Simply uninstall all those unused software or applications that are not intended to use.
5. Trash previously stored iTunes library files: Updating iTunes application automatically creates the update of current iTunes library; therefore, delete previously stored iTunes library files to free space.
And the ultimate way is to use the cleaner for Apple computer, such as EaseUS CleanGenius, to complete all tasks above by several clicks. EaseUS CleanGenius is the most effective Mac disk cleanup software. It allows you swiftly clean up unused applications and junk files, such as System Caches, User Caches, System Logs, User Logs, User Downloads, Trash, and Safari Internet Cache, etc. It also monitors the real time disk space usage and shows you the space status by the visual graphic. What is more, this amazing software allows you easily access the contents on the device, safely remove the mounted network drive and other removable devices . It maintains and keeps the Mac at the peak performance to ease your Mac life.
Clean up Mac fast: You can free more space on your Mac disk keeping your Mac healthy at all times. With a simple click from the utility, all junk files (System Caches, User Caches, System Logs, User Logs, User Downloads, Trash, Safari Internet Cache and more) will be removed in just a matter of seconds.
Monitor disk space: It will show you the disk space available and will alert you in advance if the disk space is already running low. You can clean or move files to free up disk space to ensure that your Mac is running smoothly.
Disk ejector: Using this one will allow you to eject the mounted drives, such as external storage disks, CD and DVD disks, SuperDrive, network storage and disk images.
Mac Uninstaller: "Uninstall Applications" safely and completely remove applications and their components, preferences, log files, etc. Select an application, just one click, the application and its additional components will be removed.
Duplicates Finder: Duplicate files have the identical contents and waste the precious disk space. CleanGenius can easily find and remove duplicate files to reclaim the wasted disk space.
Disk Usage: Visualize the size of your files & folders and remove the unwanted large files to free up more disk space.
Free Memory: When the free memory of your Mac is insufficient, you can easily use CleanGenius to free memory and speed up your Mac for better performance.
Set Login Items: Unneeded applications may auto run every time when you start Mac. This will reduce your Mac performance. If you don't want an application to start every time you launch your Mac, just open CleanGenius and disable the startup items you find annoying.
Browser Plug-ins Cleanup: Support to clean up and remove browsers such as Safari, Chrome or Firefox plug-ins, cache and cookies. Your browsing histories, bookmarks and downloaded files won't be cleaned.
Was This Page Helpful?
5 Simplest Ways to Clean up and Revive Your Sluggish Mac
How to fix low disk space on my iMac?
How to clean up Apple Mac hard drive?