IE browser unexpected shuts down in Windows 10
"Have you ever met this case that the Internet Explorer keeps shutting down in Windows 10? I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Creator last week, and yesterday, the IE browser starts to shut down unexpectedly in my PC. I tried to reopen the browser and then it suddenly shut down again.
Is there a way to fix this issue and repair Internet Explorer to work normally again in Windows 10? How?"
Internet browser shuts down issue is no longer a new issue for most Windows users. And IE browser - Internet Explorer is a top one tool which often crashes or shut down in Windows PC. If you are having a similar issue that IE browser keeps crashing or unexpectedly shuts down in your Windows PC, don't worry and just follow effective solutions here to repair suddenly crashed or shut down Internet Explorer with ease now.
Quick fix "IE suddenly shut down" error
If Internet Explorer is outdated or your computer has updated to the latest Windows system, you are at a high risk of getting crashed IE explorer issue.
Here is a quick fix for you to update IE browser to the latest version so to avoid unexpected failure error now:
For Windows 10/8 users:
1. Open Start by pressing Windows key > Type: check for updates and press Enter;
2. On Windows Update or Update status screen, click Check for updates to look for available updates for Internet Explorer;
For Windows 7 users:
1. Click on Start to open Start menu > Type: windows update and hit Enter;
2. On Windows Update screen, click Check for updates to find an available update for IE browser by then.
Fix Internet Explorer keeps crashing error in Window 10/8/7
If the above offered quick fix doesn't work for you, the best shot to get the issue fixed is to follow below-offered methods to troubleshoot and fix "Internet Explorer shuts down" issue in Windows 10/8/7 now.
Method 1. Run SFC and partition manager to repair corrupted system files and bad sectors that stop IE browser working
If the system files corrupted or bad sectors exist on the drive where you installed IE browser, Internet Explorer is at a high risk of crashing or shutting down unexpectedly.
You can try SFC and run partition manager software here to get all problems solved with below tips:
1. Right-click Start > Select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type:sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
Wait for the process completes and then continue with the steps below:
Step 1. Open EaseUS Partition Master on your computer. Then, locate the disk, right-click the partition you want to check, and choose "Advanced" > "Check File System".
Step 2. In the Check File System window, keep the "Try to fix errors if found" option selected and click "Start".
Step 3. The software will begin checking your partition file system on your disk. When it completes, click "Finish".
Method 2. Run Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter to fix IE shut down unexpectedly error
1. Press Windows key and click Search > Type: troubleshooting and select the topmost search result.
2. Click View all > Select Internet Explorer Performance > Advanced > Apply repairs automatically.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions and wait for the process to complete.
Then Internet Explorer shall be able to run properly again.
Method 3. Disable Add-ons and reset Internet Explorer to default settings
Disable Add-ons in Internet Explorer:
1. Run Internet Explorer > Click Manage Add-ons on Tool menu.
2. Click the name of add-on and click Disable to disable all add-ons > Close the Internet Explorer.
3. Restart IE browser to see if the problem has been fixed or not.
If not, continue below steps:
4. Click Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer tool menu > Click and disable one add-on at a time.
5. Restart the Internet Explorer to check if the problem has been fixed.
6. Next time, enable the previously disabled add-on and disable another different add-on till IE browser crashing problem gets fixed.
Reset Internet Explorer to default settings:
1. Open Internet Explorer > Tool > Click Internet Options to open Internet Options box.
2. Go to Advanced > Click Reset to open Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog.
3. Click Reset and wait for the system to change IE browser to default settings.
4. Close the dialog and restart Internet Explorer browser to apply all changes.
Now that you shall be able to run and use Internet Explorer in Windows 10/8/7 PC without any problems.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
Editor's Pick Review
EaseUS Data Recovery Services
EaseUS data recovery experts have uneaqualed expertise to repair disks/systems and salvage data from all devices like RAID, HDD, SSD, USB, etc.