Page Table of Contents
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
1. Transfer Programs from C Drive to D Drive using Windows Settings...Full steps
2. Transfer Programs from C Drive to D Drive using Command Prompt...Full steps
|EaseUS Todo PCTrans||Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans, choose "App Migration", and click "Start" on the main screen...Full steps|
Are you receiving a low disk space warning for only one internal disk on your Windows 11?
This is not a big problem. You simply need to move some programs to another drive on your Windows 11, and your PC will no longer disturb you with low performance or space messages.
Usually, it's recommended to at least leave 15% to 20% free space on your one drive, especially on C drive. That's because C drive is where most of your Windows 11 updates are stored, so it should have sufficient space for further updates and system settings.
Fortunately, if you have an empty space left on your other disk drives like a D drive, you can easily transfer some programs from C drive to D drive in Windows 11. This way, you can smoothly run your Windows 11 without uninstalling any program.
Plus, folks, it's not hard to move installed programs to another drive in Windows 11. You can use both manual steps and software to quickly transfer programs from C drive to D drive or any other drive.
So, let's check out how to move installed programs from one drive to another efficiently on your new Windows 11 computer.
If you are a tech-savvy person, you can move installed programs from one drive to another using three ways, such as:
You can seamlessly move programs to another drive using Apps & Features, and Apps & Games features in Windows Settings. However, this method only shifts partial C drive installed applications to D drive. If that's alright with you, follow these steps:
Transfer with Apps & Features
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Apps & Features or go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features.
- Select the application you want to transfer, click on the Move button, and select the drive where you wish to transfer the program like D: drive.
- Now, just wait for the move to complete.
Transfer with Apps & Games
- Open the search bar and type Storage to open it.
- Next, click on This PC (C:) to open the Storage usage of your C drive and then, click open Apps & Games.
- Scroll down to the Apps & Features, select the desired program and click on the Move button. Also, select the destination for your program like D: drive.
- Let's wait for a few minutes to complete the transfer and restart your PC once.
Can you handle Windows commands? If yes, you can use the Registry command to move installed programs from C drive to D drive. However, if things don't work as per your plan, small changes in Registry settings can crash your whole system. So, only follow these steps if you are super confident:
- Set up a folder named Program Files in the C: drive.
- Press Windows + R, type CMD in the run search box to copy and paste the Program Folder to a new location.
- Enter the following command line—
Robocopy" C：\ Program Files" " D：\ Program Files" / mir
Robocopy" C：\ Program Files" "D：\ Program Files" / mir
- Next, open the search box again and find the folder path using prompt in Windows 10/11–
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion"
Transferring applications from C: drive to D: drive manually isn't very hard. But if the Move option is greyed out next to the program or you aren't comfortable with the command line, the software is the best option to transfer programs between drives.
Plus, when you have an easy-to-use application transfer tool like EaseUS Todo PCTrans available, there's no need to go through all the manual trouble. You can free download this software on your Windows 11, and within three steps, you can migrate the program to another drive.
Easy steps to transfer installed programs from C: drive to D: drive using EaseUS Todo PCTrans are:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo PCTrans, choose "App Migration", and click "Start" on the main screen.
Step 2. EaseUS Todo PCTrans will automatically scan and display all the supported programs.
- Find the programs you want to change the location and select them.
- Also, click the triangle icon to select the destination to migrate the programs to.
Step 3. Click "Transfer" to start changing the program installation location.
Note: Just restart your computer after the transfer process is complete to save all the changes.
It's not at all complicated to transfer programs between your drives. You can use Windows Settings, Registry Settings, and even an easy Copy and Paste method to do it. Importantly, you have free and powerful EaseUS Todo PCTrans software when you don't want to go through all the manual transferring hassle.
So, folks, if your C drive is overburdened, just get EaseUS Todo PCTrans to reduce its burden and boost your Windows 11 performance.
About the Author
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Reviews and Awards
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Free is a useful and and reliable software solution created to serve in computer migration operations, be it from one machine to another or from an earlier version of your OS to a newer one. Read More
EaseUS Todo PCTrans is by the folks at EaseUS who make incredible tools that let you manage your backups and recover your dead hard disks. While it is not an official tool, EaseUS has a reputation for being very good with their software and code.Read More
It offers the ability to move your entire user account from your old computer, meaning everything is quickly migrated. You still get to keep your Windows installation (and the relevant drivers for your new PC), but you also get all your apps, settings, preferences, images, documents and other important data. Read More