CMD.exe/Command Prompt Keeps Popping up in Windows 10, How to Stop and Fix It?
"Hi guys, have you ever met this problem that Command Prompt keeps popping up with a black window which shows a pathway: c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. I closed the window, but it popped up right away. I repeated several times, but the CMD window still came out continuously. Do you know how can I make this right? Please help me if you know how to get things right on my computer. Thank you very much."
According to the Microsoft community and Google search result, it's not a new problem that quite a lot of Windows users have encountered with CMD keeps popping up the error. However, most Windows users are still not quite clear about what they shall do when such a problem comes out. So what can you do when such a problem occurs to your in Windows 10/8/7?
Fortunately, right now in this article, you'll find 3 reliable methods and 2 effective options offered by EaseUS software to help you effectively fix CMD pops up randomly error. If you are having the same problem that CMD keeps coming out on your Windows PC, follow and get your problem fixed with offered solutions here right now.
Solutions to CMD.exe Keeps Popping up Error in Windows
Here we'll provide you 3 methods to assist you solving CMD popping up randomly error, and you may selectively follow any one method to get this issue fixed on your own now:
Method 1. Run a Clean Boot to Fix CMD Popping up Randomly Error
Here we'll show you how to clean boot Windows 10 as an example for you to follow and clean boot your PC.
- Please do remember to log on to your computer as an administrator so to perform a clean boot.
1. Click "Start" and search: msconfig > select "System Configuration";
2. Click "Services" on System Configuration > click and select "Hide all Microsoft services" > click "Disable all";
3. Click "Startup" on System Configuration > click "Open Task Manager";
4. Select each startup item on Startup and click "Disable" > close "Task Manager";
5. Click "OK" on Startup tab of System Configuration > Restart PC.
By doing so, your computer will be able to work normally again, and you'll see that no CMD window pops up anymore.
Method 2. Run SFC to Fix CMD.exe Keeps Popping up Issue
SFC, known as System File Checker, can be used as a tool to scan all of important Windows files on your computer and repair them if necessary. Missing or corrupted system files such as DLL files may cause CMD continuously popping up etc. errors in Windows. Let's see how to run SFC to solve CMD.exe unusually show up an error in your PC now:
1. Press Win + R > type: cmd and click "OK" to bring up Command Prompt;
2. Type:sfc /scannow and hit Enter;
3. Then restart PC after the scan and check out whether the CMD.exe issue fixed or not.
Method 3. Repair Bad Sectors and Cleanup Virus That Causes Cmd Randomly Popping Up
If the system partition contains bad sectors or gets infected by unknown virus or malware, CMD may not be able to work correctly. Therefore, the other way to fix CMD randomly popping up issue is to repair bad sectors with partition manager software and cleanup virus by applying anti-virus software in PC.
Step 4. Download and run anti-virus software on Windows PC and clean up all virus or malware that causes CMD unusually popping up an error.
After this, restart PC and check out whether everything works fine or not on your PC now.
Extra Fixes for Command Prompt Pops up Randomly Error
If the previous 3 methods didn't solve your problem, you might try another two extra options here to stop Command Prompt popping up randomly issue:
Option 1. Install the Latest Update
1. Install the latest updates in Windows PC;
2. Restart Windows system to repair corrupted files;
3. Open Command Prompt window, type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and hit Enter;
4. Wait for the process complete and run: sfc /scannow command and hit Enter.
After this, reboot PC and keep all changes. Then you can check whether CMD pops up randomly error is fixed or not.
Option 2. Create a New User Account
Sometimes, when a user's profile is corrupted, CMD may not be able to function normally. Here you may follow to try to create a new user account to see whether CMD.exe can work or not:
1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog > Type: control userpasswords2 and click "OK";
2. Click "Add" under Users tab on User Account window;
3. Click "Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)" under How will this person sign-in window;
4. Click "Local Account" on next window > Choose a username > "Next" > "Finish";
5. Select the newly created user since the previous User Account window remains on the screen > click "Properties";
6. Click "Group Membership" > select "Administrator" > "Other" > "Administrator";
7. Click "Apply" > Click "OK".
After this, you may check and see whether the Command Prompt has stopped popping up or not. If not, try to reboot PC and sign in with your new user account, then everything shall work just fine.
Was This Page Helpful?
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
Written by Tracy King
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
What Format Works on Both Mac and PC [Best Choice]
How to Factory Reset Mac Without Keyboard? Keyboard Not Working
Which USB Format to Boot Windows: FAT32, NTFS, or exFAT? [Best Solutions]
Fix macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Update Stuck or Fail to Download Error
Editor's Pick Review
EaseUS Data Recovery Services
EaseUS data recovery experts have uneaqualed expertise to repair disks/systems and salvage data from all devices like RAID, HDD, SSD, USB, etc.