About the Author
Hot Topics in 2023
How to Clone Partition or Hard Drive with Partition Copy Software
What does Partition Clone & Disk Clone Mean
Typically, one hard drive has many partitions which show as C:, D:, among others. Partition clone means clone one partition to another, like cloning your D: to E: or other partition. All content on the original partition will be migrated to the target partition. Make sure your target partition has enough space.
Disk Clone refers to clone all partitions and files and other data in one hard disk to another hard disk, such as cloning HDD to SSD. And obviously, disk clone will take more time to migrate your data. If you want to copy your hard disk to another, you need to do more preparations.
So how to do the partition copy or partition clone? Is there any easy solution? Yes, we recommend you use the robust partition/disk cloning tools, EaseUS Partition Master, without data loss.
Download the Reliable Partition/Drive Cloning Software
To avoid data loss caused by program error or some other accidental affairs, EaseUS Partition Master provides partition clone and disk clone functions. Partition copy helps you clone/migrate partition to the unallocated space on the hard disk or hard RAID for data backup.
Not only sector-by-sector copy, EaseUS Partition Master also supports file-by-file copy for FAT & NTFS partition, which is much faster than sector-by-sector copy because it only copies files. Do not worry if there is something wrong with the file system, EaseUS Partition Master will check the partition before you start copying the partition, and will choose a sector-by-sector copy automatically to ensure your files' back up.
How to Copy Partition with EaseUS Partition Master
Step 1. Select "Clone" from the left menu. Click "Clone Partition" and "Next".
Step 2. Select the source partition and click "Next".
Step 3. Choose your the target partition and click "Next "to continue.
- If you clone partition to the existing partition, you should transfer or back up data before cloning to prevent it being overwritten.
- Check warning message and confirm "Yes".
Step 4. Click Start and wait for the clone to complete.
You can check how to clone partition or system reserved partition on this video tutorial.
1. Only unallocated space can be used as the destination partition during the process of partition copy.
2. The destination partition should be equal or larger than the source partition. Otherwise, the copied data may not keep intact.
3. Before performing the copy operation, "chkdsk" function will automatically check the file system and fixes the errors if there's any. This feature makes copy operation faster and more stable.
How to Copy Hard Drive to New Hard Drive
1. Preparations for Cloning Hard Drive
- Sufficient capacity - Make sure your second hard drive has enough space.
- SATA cable - Connect your hard drive to PC.
- Initialize the new hard disk with Disk Management.
2. Download EaseUS Partition Master and follow the simple steps
Step 1. Select the source disk.
- Click the "Clone" from the left menu. Select the "Clone OS Disk" or "Clone Data Disk" and click "Next".
- Choose the source disk and click "Next".
Step 2. Select the target disk.
- Choose the wanted HDD/SSD as your destination and click "Next" to continue.
- Read Warning message and confirm "Yes" button.
Step 3. View the disk layout and edit the target disk partition size.
Then click "Continue" when the program warns it will wipe out all data on the target disk. (If you have valuable data on the target disk, back up it in advance.)
You can select "Autofit the disk", "Clone as the source" or "Edit disk layout" to customize your disk layout. (Select the last one if you want to leave more space for C drive.)
Step 4. Click "Start" to start the disk cloning process.
FAQs About Clone Partition on Windows
On this page, we gave you a clear guide on how to clone a partition or copy volume to a new partition with a clear and simple guide. Some of you may have other doubts as listed here below. And if you have the same questions, follow and find answers here on your own:
1. Should I clone or partition a disk?
It depends on your needs.
- If you want to transfer everything on your OS disk or create a duplicate copy of your data disk to a new disk, you should choose clone.
- If you want to fully use a disk and allocate its space to create multiple volumes, you can partition it.
2. Can I clone to a partitioned drive?
Yes, sure. Before starting the cloning process, ensure that you have backed up valuable files on the partitioned disk to another secure external disk. Then, you can start to clone a designed partition or disk to the partitioned drive.
3. How do I clone all partitions?
You can turn to EaseUS Partition Master with its Clone feature for help.
- Connect or install a second new disk to the computer.
- Launch EaseUS Partition Master, click "Clone" and select "Clone Data Disk", click "OK".
- Select the source disk and select the new target disk, and select "Next".
- Click "Execute Task".
How Can We Help You
About the Author
Updated by Tracy King
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 10 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions to resolve Windows & Mac data recovery, data backup, partition management, data transfer, Windows update issues, etc.
Daisy is the Senior editor of the writing team for EaseUS. She has been working in EaseUS for over ten years, starting from a technical writer to a team leader of the content group. As a professional author for over 10 years, she writes a lot to help people overcome their tech troubles.
I love that the changes you make with EaseUS Partition Master Free aren't immediately applied to the disks. It makes it way easier to play out what will happen after you've made all the changes. I also think the overall look and feel of EaseUS Partition Master Free makes whatever you're doing with your computer's partitions easy. Read More
Partition Master Free can Resize, Move, Merge, Migrate, and Copy disks or partitions; convert to local, change label, defragment, check and explore partition; and much more. A premium upgrade adds free tech support and the ability to resize dynamic volumes. Read More
It won't hot image your drives or align them, but since it's coupled with a partition manager, it allows you do perform many tasks at once, instead of just cloning drives. You can move partitions around, resize them, defragment, and more, along with the other tools you'd expect from a cloning tool. Read More
8 Fixes for There Is Not Enough Memory Or Disk Space to Run Word Error
Fix and Repair EFI Bootloader in Windows 10/8/7
How to Fix SSD Full for No Reason
Windows 11/10 Media Creation Tool: How to Download and How to Use (a Complete Guide)