A factory reset is the software restoration of any electronic device. The device is restored to its original manufacturer settings.
You can use factory reset to remove any bugs or chronic issues in a mobile/laptop. Sometimes factory resetting can help when your PC keeps freezing, and a smartphone gets freezes. Knowing current times, it is essential to factory reset a mobile before its sale, purchase, destruction, or change in ownership.
However, the real question is, does a factory reset delete everything? And is it the same for Windows/Mac/iPhone/Android devices?
These devices contain our personal information, which we don't want others to know. Hence, it is essential to know to what extent a factory reset removes the data.
Windows10/Mac is the most widely used operating system for desktops and laptops. Together they account for more than 88% of the desktop audience.
Individuals and companies use them to store their secretive information. In this section, we will talk about whether a factory reset deletes everything on Windows10/Mac.
1. Does a Factory Reset Delete Everything on Windows 10?
Windows 10 is flexible in this regard. It allows you the choice between keeping and deleting the files. In the main menu, you can opt for "Recovery Option". It takes you to the reset menu, where you can select either "keep my files" or "delete everything".
- If you plan to sell/replace your PC, select the "delete everything" option.
- If you want to improve the system speed and functionality, go for "keep my files".
- However, irrespective of the choice, it is always advisable to have a backup for your documents and system by using some Windows backup software.
Notice: After factory reset on Windows 10 or Windows 11 by using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, you can recover files after factory reset on Windows 10. Download and run this software to recover deleted files.
The steps for you to recover deleted files Windows 10 are as follows:
Step 1. Choose the exact file location and then click the "Scan" button to continue.
Step 2. After the process, select the "Deleted Files" and "Other Lost Files" folders in the left panel. Then, you can apply the "Filter" feature or click the "Search files or folders" button to find the deleted files.
Step 3. Click the "Recover" button and save the restored files – ideally, it should be different from the original one.
2. Does a Factory Reset Delete Everything on Mac?
Unlike its peer, Mac is relatively straightforward. Once you select the factory reset option, it removes all your personal information and files. It includes all programs, videos, images, documents, or anything else on the device.
- As a Mac user, it is necessary to do a backup Mac. It can be done via cloud storage, USB, or an external hard drive.
- For resetting, you only need to visit "macOS Recovery" and follow the provided steps.
Now let's move towards smartphones (iPhone/Android) from desktops. Smartphones are being used by 6.64 billion people, constituting 83.40% of the world's population. In human history, no other device has attracted such an audience.
Keeping that in my mind, it is essential to know that a factory reset deletes everything on iPhone/Android. We will try to answer that question here.
1. Does a Factory Reset Delete Everything on iPhone?
The factory reset option removes all the information stored in iPhone. The phone reverts to its original settings. The users will have to sacrifice their contacts, notes, videos, photos, songs, messages, and applications.
- When you tap "Erase all content and Settings", all the information is removed.
- The files synced with iCloud aren't removed in case of a factory reset.
- Jailbreak permits iPhone users to outsource applications. But with the factory reset, all these apps get removed.
2. Does a Factory Reset Delete Everything on Android?
The factory reset option of Android isn't as effective as that of the iPhone. Android data can be recovered even after the factory reset. The reset is most suitable for improving device speed and functionality.
- It would help if you always used professional android data remover before selling/purchasing an android phone.
- The SD cards should be deleted separately. Factory reset doesn't remove the data stored in SD Cards.
So far, we have discussed the factory reset and its implication for smartphones and laptops. Here, we shall guide you on factory resetting your phone and laptop in a few simple steps. So, as they say, stay tuned!
Method to Factory Reset an iPhone
An iPhone can be factory reset by following these simple steps:
Step 1. Go to General Settings.
Step 2. From general settings, go to reset settings.
Step 3. Select "Erase all content and settings".
Step 4. Enter your apple password and tap on "Erase iPhone".
The phone would start functioning. Once the process finishes, the phone will restart itself in factory settings.
- If you don't remember your Apple ID, you can use this iPhone unlocker - EaseUS MobiUnlock to remove the Apple ID and factory reset your device to factory settings.
Method to Factory Reset a Laptop
You can reset a laptop in multiple ways. You can factor reset Windows 10 without any administrative password.
However, the methods for doing this vary with every Windows version. For Windows 8 and 10, you need to follow these steps:
Step 1. To factory reset without an admin password. Click on the "Power Button" while pressing the shift button on the login screen.
Step 2. Then select "Troubleshoot" > "Reset this PC".
Step 3. Windows would show you two options: Keep My files or Remove everything.
Step 4. Select "Remove everything" for a complete reset.
The system would restart with its factory version and remove all your data. You can reset any phone and laptop by using these simple steps.
FAQs about Factory Reset Delete Everything
We hope you already know all the basics of a factory reset now. In this section, we would like to address essential FAQs about factory reset delete everything.
1. Is there any left after a factory reset?
It varies concerning the device. No personal data survives if you factory reset your iPhone, Mac, or Windows desktop. However, there is a chance of recovering the leftover in Android.
2. How do I reset my iPhone to factory settings without a password or computer?
Use "Hard Reset Feature". Press the Volume Up, Volume down, and side buttons at once. The system would perform a factory reset after some time.
3. How to factory reset your Android device?
Follow this simple sequence:
Apps > Settings > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Erase Everything.
4. How to factory reset your Dell laptop?
If you want to factory reset Dell laptop Windows 10, you can use this method:
Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
Once the recovery Windows show, click on "Get Started". The Windows 10 reset would begin immediately.
This blog post gives you a complete answer to does a factory reset delete everything and how it deletes personal information. It explains how it works on Mac, Windows 10, iPhones, and Android. The similarities and differences of factory resetting have also been highlighted.
In the end, we have also explained the easiest way of performing this action on all devices. Please give it a read, and let's know your thoughts about the subject matter.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tips & Tricks
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes