Table of Contents
- Video Recovery
- SD Card Recovery
- Recycle Bin Recovery
- Recover Data from USB
- Recover Deleted Emails
- Hard Drive Not Showing Up in Windows
- Recover Unsaved Word Documents
- Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10
- Recover Files from Virus Infected Hard Drive
- Best Free Photo Recovery Software
- Recover Files from Formatted Hard Drive
In the following, you will find comprehensive solutions for "SD card won't read or open" error on Windows PC. If you are having this issue, follow and fix it to rescue your data now:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Recover Data||Connect SD card to PC > Run EaseUS file recovery software > Scan and recover data...Full steps|
|Case 1. Fix RAW SD||Fix 1. Run CHKFSK in Command Prompt to fix SD card error;
Fix 2. Format SD card to FAT32...Full steps
|Case 2. SD Shows Now Media||Open Device Manager > Disk drivers > Right-click SD card and select "Update driver"...Full steps|
|Case 3. SD Shows Unallocated||Open Disk Management > Right-click unallocated SD > "New Simple Volume"...Full steps|
|Case 4. SD Won't Read||1. Update SD card driver; 2. Change SD card adapter or USB port; 3. Send for repair...Full steps|
What to Do When SD Card Won't Open or Open on Computer
Many users are complaining that their SD card always worked fine, but suddenly cannot read or open on their computer and are asking for help online. Here’s a real story of a user from the Microsoft community:
"Today I've been trying to use my Toshiba SD card on my laptop, but the computer won't recognize it. Nothing comes up on my computer or anything. Any idea on how to fix it?"
If you are suffering from the same issue and worrying about the unreadable SD card, you are in the right place. We provide tried-and-true solutions to fix the issue without data loss.
Part 1: Recover Data When the Computer Cannot Read or Open SD Card
Before you get down to fix the "SD card not opening" issue, you should recover data first to avoid further data loss. How to recover your data? now EaseUS disk data recovery software can help! After data recovery, you can go to Part 2 to learn how to repair a Micro SD card that can't be read.
When you find your SD card can't be read on your computer, right-click This PC --> choose Manage --> select Disk Management. Check if the memory card is listed there. If yes, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can help you retrieve your valuable data by following a few simple steps.
Step 1. Run SD card recovery software and scan the card.
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on your PC and select your SD card. Then click "Scan" to start finding lost data on your SD card.
Step 2. Check found SD card data.
After the scanning process, you can click "Filter" to quickly find wanted files.
Step 3. Restore SD card data.
You can check and preview found files by double-clicking each one of them. Then click Recover to save found SD card files to a secure location on your PC or external storage.
Part 2: Fix SD Card Won't Read or Open on My Computer
After retrieving all your data, you can fix the "SD card can't be read or opened on the computer" issue step by step.
1 - Not Opening SD Card Becomes RAW
Your SD card can be recognized under Disk Management, but it's inaccessible. That is to say, the device becomes RAW. You can fix it through two ways - use CHKDSK or format the SD card.
① Run CHKDSK to Fix SD Card Not Reading (Fix the File System Error)
If the SD Card is detected but cannot open, run CHKDSK to scan for errors!
- Step 1: Connect the SD card to PC via an SD card reader.
- Step 2: At the start, type cmd and right-click Command Prompt. Click "Run as administrator".
- Step 3: Type "chkdsk h: /f". Replace h with your SD card drive letter.
After this, you can try again to see whether you can open it or not. If not, format the SD card.
If you don't have any technical know-how and want to minimize data risks, using third-party software could be a better choice. The Command line is suitable for computer professionals since wrong commands can cause severe problems. Therefore, we strongly recommend you try an automatic command line alternative.
EaseUS Tools M is a practical computer fixing tool that is safe and light-weighted. It's a perfect alternative to CHKDSK command. Use this one-click tool to solve your computer issues.
To fix file system error or disk error:
Step 1: DOWNLOAD EaseUS Tools M for Free and install it.
Step 2: Open the software and select the "File showing" option.
Step 3: Choose the drive and wait for repairing. After the operation completes, click the "View" button to check the drive.
② Format the SD Card (Can Also Solve Lost Partition Issue)
SD card can be recognized under Disk Management, but it's inaccessible or the partition is lost. SD card formatting can solve it easily:
- SD card formatting will cause data loss. Recover data from formatted SD card if you want to get back important data.
- Step 1: Connect the SD card to your PC. Right-click on This PC/My Computer, select "Manage".
- Step 2: Click "Disk Management", locate and right-click the SD card, then choose "Format".
- Step 3: Select wanted file system for the SD card and click "OK" to confirm.
2 - SD Card Shows No Media
If your SD card shows 0 bytes in Disk Management, you'll need to take your device to a local data recovery service center and ask for help.
But you can still try to update the drivers to fix it. Most users say it works.
- Step 1: Connect the SD card to PC. Right-click on "This PC/My Computer" icon, select "Manage" and go to "Device Manager".
- Step 2: Expand "Disk drivers", find and right-click on the no media sd card, choose "Update driver".
- Step 3: Select "Search automatically for updated driver software" and wait patiently till the process completes.
3 - SD Card Showing as Unallocated
If the device is showing as unallocated, the computer certainly cannot open the sd card. For this case, things could be easier. All you have to do is create a new volume for the SD card. The steps below are manual steps. If you prefer to using the software, refer to this page - create a new partition using the software
- Step 1: Connect the unallocated SD card to PC. Right-click on This PC/My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.
- Step 2: Locate and right-click on the unallocated space of the SD card, select "New Simple Volume".
- Step 3: Set partition size, drive letter and file system (NTFS), etc. Click "Finish" to complete the process
4 - Other Fixes for SD Card Won't Read Issue
- If the SD card partition doesn't show up in Disk Management but can be found in Device Manager:
① Update the SD card driver
② Change SD card reader, adapter or USB port
- If both the Device Manager and the Disk Management cannot recognize your SD card:
① Send it to a local device repair center
② Give up this SD card and buy a new one
That's all about how to fix the "SD card won't read or open" issue.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy is enthusiastic to share technical tips and solutions about computing and technology. Being an EaseUS member since 2013, she also writes instructional content about data recovery, file/disk partition/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is a powerful system recovery software, designed to enable you to recover files you’ve deleted accidentally, potentially lost to malware or an entire hard drive partition. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we have seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past. Read More
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro has a reputation as one of the best data recovery software programs on the market. It comes with a selection of advanced features, including partition recovery, formatted drive restoration, and corrupted file repair. Read More