Norton removed your files by wrong? Do you know how to recover files deleted by Norton security programs such as Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security? As we already know that the antivirus applications from Norton are very good at checking, scanning, and clearing computer security threats, usually we say viruses, trojans, and malware. However, they may sometimes overdo their jobs by deleting every file that is suspected without asking. The deleted files include essential documents, pictures, and some paid programs.
If you are also troubled by Norton deleted files without asking, and need to restore the removed files, clam down, and follow the two effective solutions below.
|Method 1. Recover from Norton Restore
|Start Norton > Select "Advanced" > Click "Quarantine"...Full steps
|Method 2. Recover with Undelete Software
|Download file recovery software > Select a location to scan > Preview and recover...Full steps
2 Solutions to Perform Norton Deleted Files Recovery
In the following content, we provide you with two useful methods for Norton deleted files recovery: restoring from Norton's "Security History Quarantine" Window or recovering with data recovery software.
Solution 1. Recover Norton Deleted Files with Its Restore Function
Usually, Norton moves files and programs that are suspected security threats to somewhere called "Security History Quarantine". Quarantined items are placed there to isolate themselves from the safe ones in the operating system, and they can be returned to its previous location by following steps.
- Start Norton, go to find "Advanced".
- Click "Quarantine" in the “Computer Protection” section to open the Security History window.
- Now, you'll see all the quarantined files and programs, right-click any one of them you want to recover.
- Click "Options" to open the Threat Detected window. Then, click the "Restore and Exclude This File" button to open the Quarantine Restore window.
- Select the "Exclude This Risk From Future Scans" checkbox, then "Yes" button. Wait for Norton program to restore the wrongly deleted files to its previous location.
If you can't find the removed files in the "Security History Quarantine" Window or if the above way unfortunately fails, don't get discouraged and move to solution 2.
Solution 2. Recover Norton Deleted Files with a Data Recovery Tool
If you find nothing in Norton's Security History Quarantine section, it means all files are permanently deleted from your HDD, in this case, there is no choice but turn to a professional data recovery program for help. EaseUS is such data recovery software that enables you to recover files deleted by Norton antivirus programs as well as another antivirus. For example, it also works on retrieving deleted files by Avast Antivirus
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard not only works for restoring deleted files by antivirus software but also is good at virus attack recovery, like recovering files from shortcut virus.
Step 1. Select the disk drive where you have lost files after using an antivirus program and click "Scan".
Step 2. When the scan process finishes, all the lost and deleted files on the selected drive should appear. You can try to locate the antivirus deleted items from the tree-view panel on the left, or use the "Filter" function to specify particular file formats, such as pictures, videos, emails, documents and so on.
Step 3. Double-click a file to preview. After that, select the file(s) at one time and click "Recover".
Extra Tip: How to Stop Norton from Deleting/Removing Files
If you want to protect a file, folder, or game from being deleted by Norton Antivirus or Norton Security, you can add it to Exclusions n settings in the following way.
- Log into your computer as an administrator, and launch the Norton Antivirus.
- Click "START SCANNING YOUR DEVICE", tap on "EXCLUSIONS" or "LOW RISK".
- Add the path of the folder/files you want to prevent from the scanning of Norton under "ITEMS TO EXCLUDE".
- Click "Continue" and wait for the Antivirus scans your device.
After these settings, if Norton also deletes the files, you have to remove the already added files and add it exclude again.
Was This Page Helpful?
Brithny/Dec 22, 2023
Cedric/Feb 18, 2024
Jean/Jan 12, 2024
Tracy King/Jul 20, 2023