Chkdsk command prompt is a hard drive repair tool that allows you to repair corrupted USB drive, external hard drive or Micro SD card. But sometimes, when you use it to schedule a disk check, you may get 'cannot open the volume for direct access' error message.
The issue can happen in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Server 2008 or any other Windows version and prevent you from fixing corrupted SD card, USB or external hard drive. If you don’t know how to fix it, here is a solution that might help! It just takes 2 simple steps!
First backup or retrieve your data from external hard drive, SD card or USB drive. If you can open the device, you can just copy the data to your PC or any other storage devices. If not, you can try EaseUS free data recovery software to do the job.
1. Connect the external hard drive, USB or SD card to PC, launch EaseUS free data recovery software, select the drive and click "Scan" button.
2. The software will soon start a quick scan to find the lost & existing data on the device. After it completed, a deep scan will automatically launch in order to find more files.
3. After scan, preview and choose the files you want. Finally, click "Recover" button to retrieve and save them your PC or another disk.
After retrieving all your important files, you can try to fix chkdsk 'cannot open the volume for direct access' error and repair corrupted hard drive, SD card or USB drive using EaseUS free partition software. With powerful disk check and repair feature, it is the best alternative to chkdsk. It works well in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP.
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition software, right-click the external hard drive, USB or SD card and click "Check partition".
2. Choose the way that you want to use to check and repair disk errors or bad sectors: "Check Partition Properties", "Call Windows Chkdsk" or "Surface Test" and Click "OK" to continue.
3. Let the software automatically check and repair disk error or corruption. And finally click "OK" to finish the process.
And if the disk check and repair feature can not help, you can directly use EaseUS free partition software to repair your corrupted hard drive, SD card or USB drive by formatting.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat