How to Convert RAW to NTFS without Losing Data
Summary: If you need to recover RAW partition to NTFS, or convert RAW to NTFS on your storage deivces, you can find wanted answer here in the below passage. Don't worry anymore when your storage deivces such as Windows partition, hard drive, USB drive, SD card etc. become RAW, you can restore files and convert them from RAW to NTFS with ease now.
Why you need to convert RAW to NTFS?
When a volume get damaged and become RAW or you receive some error messages such as "RAW error" , don't be panic. You still have chance to convert them back to NTFS. Here below are some listed symptoms when a volume become RAW file system:
1. The volume X: is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?
2. The disk in drive X: is not formatted.
3. There was an error accessing drive X: The disk is not formatted.
4. Also a CHKDSK tool will be complained that is unable to perform a RAW file system recovery.
5. The type of the file system is RAW.
6. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
When facing one of the situations mentioned above, you have to convert RAW to NTF by formatting. It is the only way to fix RAW drive to NIFS. But how can you do it without losing your data? Here most of you might think that you can get back lost and inaccessible files after converting RAW disk drive to NTFS. But, it is not the case. The fact is that you need to rely on data recovery software to recover files from raw drive. So, whenever you want to convert RAW disk drive to NTFS, please format it after a full data recovery.
How to recover data and convert RAW to NTFS?
Step 1. Restore data from RAW drive, SD card, Windows partition firstly
To recover the files from RAW Disk, you can try EaseUS hard drive recovery software. This software enables you to fully restore data from RAW disk or volumes under Windows 10/8/7/Vist etc without any obstacles. And it's 100% safe for computer system and data, no second damage will be caused.
If you need to convert RAW volums to NTFS, it's highly recommended for you to use this tool to restore all data first. If you format directly, you'll lost all important data. Now, let's see how to recover all data before converting RAW partition to NTFS.
1. Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and select the file types you want to recover from the RAW disk. Then click "Next" button to move to the next step.
2. Select the the RAW disk where you lost your data and click "Scan" button, the software will quickly scan the selected disk to find all your target files.
3. After scan, you can preview all the listed recoverable files on the RAW disk one by one and select out those you want. Then, click "Recover" button to get them back once.
Note: Here you should not save the recovered files to the original disk drive that shows RAW file system, instead, you can store those recovered files to any other partition or storage device.
Step 2. Convert RAW to NTFS/Format RAW Partition to NTFS
After following these steps, you can successfully recover all your files from the RAW disk. And then you can reformat or format RAW disk to NTFS without worrying about data loss problem.
1. Open This PC/Computer > Find the RAW partition;
2. Right-click it by choosing Format > Select the file system - NTFS and even rename it;
3. Click Start > OK.
After this, your persional files in RAW disk or storage device will be restored easily and you can convert RAW parttion to NTFS without any problems and even reuse it again.
Microsoft solution: Convert RAW hard disk/partition to NTFS format
This method is majorly offered by Microsft to convert hard disk or partitoin from RAW to NTFS by running cmd command. If you have any important data, do remember to restore them firstly.
1. Open Command Prompt > Click Run as administrator;
You may need to type your password or provide confirmation for this method.
2. Type:convert X(driver letter): /fs:ntfs and hit Enter;
3. Type: M(the mane of the partition or disk you want to convert to NTFS) and press Enter;
After this all you need is to wait patiently, the partition will be converted from RAW to NTFS automatically then.