How to Convert RAW Drive to NTFS?
The file system of hard drive was NTFS, now it becomes raw and the hard drive couldn't be accessed. There is the important data on the hard drive, how to get data back and convert raw drive to NTFS? This article will talk about what is raw drive and how to convert raw drive to NTFS.
What is raw drive?
If a disk reads as raw in Windows, possible (but not all) symptoms are:
- Invalid media type reading drive. Abort, Retry, Fail?
- File system is displayed as "RAW"
- Windows may ask if you want to format the drive, such as warning "disk not formatted. Do you want to format now?"
- File names contain 'weird' characters
- 'Sector not found' messages
The RAW drive means the file system is corrupted, system can't identify whether it is FAT, NTFS, EXT2 or EXT3, etc. Under this condition, you can't access this RAW drive, and you can't use files in this drive either. When you access the RAW drive, you will get an error message mentioned above. The RAW drive can be caused by a number of reasons such as virus infection, format failure, accidentally shut down the Operating System, power outages, etc.
Solution one: Fix RAW drive
1. Disable the controller in the CMOS setup, and remove the SCSI drivers, etc. associated with it in the Device Manager.
2. And then reboot. If that doesn't work, and if it has a jumper on it, try removing the jumper completely. If that still doesn't work, try to format the RAW drive, using NTFS under Windows system.
3. After that, the raw drive has become NTFS file system. If there is important data on the raw drive, formatting would cause data loss, so you must pay special attention to this point. You need to recover data from RAW drive at first and then convert RAW drive to NTFS by formatting.
Solution Two: Convert raw drive to NTFS
Step 1. Recover data/files from RAW drive firstly.
To convert raw drive to NTFS doesn't mean convert raw drive to NTFS directly. If you need the data in RAW drive, do remember to restore data before taking any actions.
Step 2. Format the raw drive to NTFS file system.
If you have recovered data from the raw drive, then you can format the drive to NTFS file system and reuse it again.
There are a lot of RAW drive recovery software, but the most powerful and efficient RAW drive recovery software is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional. This data recovery software from EaseUS can help you recover files from raw drive.
To recover files from RAW drive, please refer to "How to recover raw drive?" for detailed steps.
The wizard interface of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional will guide you through the steps. It is easy-to-use. With a few clicks, EaseUS data recovery software will recover all the files from RAW drive. After data recovery, please convert RAW drive to NTFS by format. Why not download this RAW drive recovery software and have a try now?