(2021) Top 7 GoPro Video Editor for Beginners & Pros
GoPro is a technology company that is famous for producing action cameras. GoPro camera is one of the most versatile cameras - It's waterproof, shockproof, dust-proof, and can survive in hostile weather and environment. That's why GoPro cameras, like GoPro HERO 7 Silver/Black, GoPro Max, and latest GoPro HERO8, are immensely popular among travelers, explorers, adventurers, sports enthusiasts, and more.
To share their interesting, adventurous, or memorable journey, many users need a GoPro video editor to merge videos into a more attractive video. If you are reading, you are probably one of them. Given that, I'm going to sharing the best GoPro video editor for you. Whether you are a beginner or professional, prefer free or paid GoPro video editor, you will find the suitable GoPro editing software for you.
# 1. EaseUS Video Editor
Whether you want to create professional high-quality movies or entertaining home videos, EaseUS Video Editor could help. It is a useful GoPro video editing software, which perfectly supports the MP4 and HEVC videos created by GoPro and many other video formats. It's more than a GoPro video editor and allows you to create videos of any complexity. It is also a good vlog editing app. Moreover, EaseUS GoPro video editing software is available for Windows 11/10/8/7.
- Trim/cut/split/rotate/merge videos
- Adds various simple or complex transitions
- Support to add filter to video
- supports multiple video/audio tracks
- Supports various audio, video, image formats
- Imports media files from storage devices and videos taken by camcorders, DVs, vidicons, webcams, cell phones...
- Provides templates that are ready for use
- Only for Windows users
How to edit GoPro videos using EaseUS Video Editor? Check the following steps.
Step 1. Open EaseUS Video Editor
You'll see there are 4:3 and 16:9 modes for your choice. Select the correct mode based on your original video aspect ratio or the websites that your video will be uploaded to.
Step 2. Import Videos
You can import the media that you are going to edit, apply texts/filters/overlays/transitions to the video clips. If you install and run the program for the first time, you can learn how to use the basic editing functions step by step via the prompts.
Step 3. Add to Project
Add video clips to the timeline panel by dragging and dropping from the Media Library. You can also right-click the clips in the "Media" and choose "Add to Project" to load them to the timeline.
Step 4. Edit Videos
Right-click the video and select "Edit".
Then, you can split, trim, speed, rotate, add watermark or enhance video clips.
Step 5. Export Projects
Click "Export" in the Toolbar to export the project. There are four available ways to save the project.
# 2. GoPro Quick for Desktop
Does GoPro have video editing software? Yes, it does. In addition to manufacturing action cameras, GoPro also develops its own free video editing software - GoPro Quik. GoPro Quik is available for both mobile and desktop, and only supports GoPro media, namely photos and videos. Here is what you can do with GoPro Quik:
- Access, edit, and enjoy your GoPro photos and videos
- Choose from a huge variety of soundtracks
- Add gauges and graphs to your videos
- Automatically import and organize your photos and videos
Being developed by GoPro, Quik is more integrated with GoPro media. However, the compatibility and video editing features of GoPro Quik are quite limited.
- Only supports Windows 10 (64-bit) and Mac OS X 10.10 or above
- Only supports photos and videos taken by GoPro
- Disallows template editing
- Disallows video editing features including: cut, split, or merge/mix videos, remove background noise, add transitions/titles/filters/subtitles/watermark...
If you are a beginner and attempt to edit your GoPro videos by rotating, flipping, or trimming the item, this free GoPro video editor can fulfill your needs.
# 3. Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a GoPro video editing software application developed by Microsoft. It helps to create and edit videos as well as publish videos on platforms like YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Flickr, and OneDrive. Thus, it can serve as a GoPro video editor to edit the videos taken by GoPro cameras.
- Video editing: trim, rotate, merge videos
- Supports video formats including MP4, WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, MPEG, MTS, JPG, PNG, GIF, MP3, M4A, and WAV
- Make videos from photos, videos, music with professional transition effects like wave, pixellate, cross-zoom, fading...
- Adds color filters to photos
- Customize the appearance and duration of photos and videos
- Add text to video
- Preview the output video before saving
Every video editing software has its pros and cons. Windows Movie Maker is no exception.
- Doesn't support HEVC videos created by GoPro
- Crashes a lot
- Has limited video and audio tracks - one video track and one audio track only
- Has no audio effects
Similar to GoPro Quik, Windows Movie Maker provides basic video editing functions for beginners. If you want more advanced video editing features, try one of the subsequent GoPro editing software instead. However, Windows Movie Maker has been officially discontinued on January 10, 2017, and it is replaced by Video Editor which is built-in with Microsoft Photos in Windows 10. Thus, if you want to download Windows Movie Maker, you will need to find another way around.
# 4. Pinnacle Studio
Want a more versatile GoPro video editor? If so, you should take a look at Pinnacle Studio. Pinnacle Studio is a creative video editing software that helps to create complex projects by offering near-professional-level features.
Key Features (of the basic version):
- Provides 1,500+ effects, titles, and templates
- Supports at most 6 tracks
- Splits screen videos
- Selective color
- Stops motion animation
- Also serves as a screen recorder
- Crashes occasionally
- The motion tracking is not precise
- Requires a high-performance computer to run smoothly
A common shortcoming of the four GoPro video editors is that they are Windows-only. If you are a Mac user, don't miss Final Cut Pro X introduced in the next part.
# 5. Final Cut Pro X
If you are a Mac user who wants to edit GoPro videos on Mac, Final Cut Pro X might be a good choice for you. This is a wonderful GoPro video editing software. The target users of Final Cut Pro are professionals who attempt to create high-quality movies or videos. This application will provide you with a seamless video editing experience via its advanced features.
- Supports multicam video/audio editing
- Allows advanced grading, HDR support, and ProRes RAW
- Supports 3D editing and VR headset playback
- Provides various effects and motion graphics templates
- Has compatibility with plug-installer
- Only supports Mac computers
Another video editing tool developed by Apple for both iOS and macOS is called iMovie. Compared with Final Cut Pro X, iMovie is much more basic since it only contains simple video editing features. Thus, iMovie is a more advisable choice for Mac users who are beginners of video editing.
# 6. DaVinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve (the free version) has claimed to be the only solution that combines professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and audio post-production all on one tool. What's amazing in DaVinci Resolve Studio (the paid version) is that it makes multi-user collaboration possible. That means you can work on the same project simultaneously together with others. DaVinci Resolve is qualified as being one of the best GoPro video editors.
- Provides basic & advanced video editing options
- Offers intelligent edit modes to auto-sync clips and edit
- Has built-in tools for retiming, stabilization, and transform
- Allows to create projects with different frame rates and resolutions
- Supports frame rate conversions and motion estimation
- The lack of ability to swap window positions
- Causes confusion about the features
- Inability to precisely move keyframes up and down to where you want them when keyframing audio
# 7. Adobe Premiere Pro
The truth that many film masterpieces are edited with Adobe Premiere Pro has proven the high professional level of the software. It's no doubt that Adobe Premiere Pro can serve the function of a GoPro video editor, and can do much more than you have expected. Besides, it's both Windows and macOS-compatible. With it, you can create any video you see.
- Enables simultaneous project and shared projects
- Offers motion graphics templates, effects, transitions, and labels
- Supports VR editing, VR audio editing, and VR rotate the sphere
- Supports multiple file formats
- Seamlessly works with other apps, including Photoshop, After Effects, Adobe Audition, and Adobe Stock
- Not intuitive enough
- Much more expensive than its equivalents
- Requires beefed-up computers to run properly
Other Hot Issues Related to GoPro Video Editor
There are some questions that users ask frequently.
Does GoPro have video editing software?
Yes, it does. Both GoPro Quik and GoPro Studio are developed by GoPro. Simply speaking, GoPro Studio is an advanced version of Quik with more video editing features. However, GoPro Studio has been discontinued officially since 2017.
What program can I use to edit GoPro videos?
There are many video editors that support GoPro videos. If you are a beginner, you can choose GoPro Quik, Windows Movie Maker, or iMovie. If you want near-professional programs, apply EaseUS Video Editor or Pinnacle Studio. While if you are a professional, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere are recommended.
What's the best video editing software for GoPro?
GoPro creates MP4 and HEVC videos, which are supported by most of the video editors. The best video editing software for you is the one that suits your needs most. Depending on the complexity of the video editing, you may need different tools. From GoPro Quik to Adobe Premiere, there must be the best GoPro video editor for you. If you are a Windows user, you'd better try EaseUS Video Editor.
The Bottom Line
There are many choices of GoPro video editors. Whether you want a free video editor or paid professional video editing software, you will find the one that meets your demands from this article. Choose the GoPro video editor you like best and start creating your unique video to share with others.