Top 13 Best Free Video Editor for PC in 2021
With the rapid development and spread of social networking and multimedia, more and more people get the chance to create their own video works as YouTubers, bloggers, Instagramers, etc.
As to other PC users, some of them also need to make training or tutorial videos that will be played in the online classes. In a word, our demands for an excellent video editing tool grow day by day.
If you want to find the top 13 best video editing software for PC in 2021, then read on. All the answers you need are in this post.
Best Video Editing Software for Windows - EaseUS Video Editor
This full-featured software enables users to utilize both its essential and advanced functions according to their own demands. For instance, users can crop videos, cut them into pieces to remove the necessary parts, rearrange the remaining sections, and merge videos into the integrated one.
In addition to those basic features, you can also use it in your advanced editing process. Since this program can be considered a free special effects video editor, you can add cool effects to video to make it more cinematic and impressive. There are various kinds of effects available, including filters, transitions, overlays, and text.
If you need a TikTok video editor, EaseUS Video Editor is more than adequate. It allows you to trim, split, rotate, reverse your video clips, and then add suitable background music and subtitles to them. Finally, you can directly share the edited work on TikTok by clicking the "Export" button and select "TikTok" in the "Video platform" tab.
Stunning Features of EaseUS Video Editor:
- Support nearly all the popular formats of video, audio, image when you import files
- Extract subtitles from MP4/MKV/AVI and videos in other formats
- Extract audio from video and convert it to text
- Remove watermark from video for the further editing
- Share edited videos directly on social platforms, cloud storage, and video websites
Download this best video editing software on Windows and create your masterpiece now!
Steps to Edit Videos with EaseUS Video Editor:
We prepared a short tutorial for you. You can try out more functions after you download it.
Step 1. Open EaseUS Video Editor
You'll see there are 4:3 and 16:9 modes for your choice. Select the correct mode based on your original video aspect ratio or the websites that your video will be uploaded to.
Step 2. Import Videos
You can import the media that you are going to edit, apply texts/filters/overlays/transitions to the video clips. If you install and run the program for the first time, you can learn how to use the basic editing functions step by step via the prompts.
Step 3. Add to Project
Add video clips to the timeline panel by dragging and dropping from the Media Library. You can also right-click the clips in the "Media" and choose "Add to Project" to load them to the timeline.
Step 4. Edit Videos
Right-click the video and select "Edit".
Then, you can split, trim, speed, rotate, add watermark or enhance video clips.
Step 5. Export Projects
Click "Export" in the Toolbar to export the project. There are four available ways to save the project.
Free Video Editors for Beginners (All Levels of Users)
In this part, there are four recommended video editors for PC users who know nearly nothing about how to create their own videos by editing the material clips. With the following video editing software, you can create your music videos and vlogs like a breeze.
Please pick up your first video editing software and put it into use.
Windows Movie Maker (Not Support Latest Windows)
Windows Movie Maker is an easy-to-use program designed to help beginners turn video clips into eye-catching movies, and no pro skill is required in using it.
There are enough useful functions at your disposal when you edit your videos with it. You can trim, crop, and cut your video clips, as well as add titles and background music to them.
If you want to improve your video and make it a brand new one, try to use the overlays, transitions, and effects that are pre-set in this program. To edit your audio files, it's possible to add fade-in and fade-out effects to make your audios sound more natural.
- Totally free to use
- Support extensive audio track selection
- Special effects options are available
- Support multimedia editing with videos, images, and audios
- No longer available on new operating systems
- The program freezes quite often
Compatibility: Windows 7, XP, and other old Windows operating systems
VideoPad Video Editor is developed by NCH Software, aiming to assist home users in creating videos for free, and it perfectly suits beginners who have just started with video editing.
The simple operations make everyone is capable of editing videos. You can drag and drop video clips to import them, then process them by cutting, trimming, splitting, and so on. When you need a speed changer, it helps you adjust the speed of your videos.
The free version of VideoPad has some critical limitations. For example, this free version doesn't support the great social exporting features. But its users still have access to many essential editing functions.
- Offer over 50+ visual effects for video clips and transitions
- Support basic 3D video editing and 2D to 3D conversion
- Reduce camera shake
- Lack of advanced video editing features, such as modeling, animating, etc.
- Uninspired and outdated user interface
Compatibility: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista (64bit)
Avidemux is designed for simple cutting, filtering, and encoding videos so that that beginner users can make quick edits.
It comes with a brief interface with a variety of codecs for users to export videos into AVI, MPEG, MP4, and ASF, etc., formats, and for input formats, you can get more choices like TS, OGM, 3PG, and so on.
Although this program is usually considered as non-linear video editing software, you can't find an available timeline panel to be detected on its main interface. That means this application doesn't allow you to add separate video and audio tracks to it.
One of Avidemux's best features is that you can preview the real effect of the filter want plan to add to your video clips so that you can easily pick up the most suitable one to use.
- Applicable to everyone, no professional skills required
- Support simple cutting, filtering, and encoding
- Convert video to a smaller size
- Lack of visual effects, transitions, etc.
- Frequent crash issues
Compatibility: Windows (under the GNU GPL license), Linux, and macOS X
As its name indicated, Freemake is more like a video converter that involves video editing than a traditional video editing software in our mind.
It enables users to convert videos from one format to another, extract audio from videos, and even embed videos to websites. Besides, it basically supports users in creating slideshows, video clips with footages, images, audios.
To chop away the unnecessary sections, you can click the scissors button to cut videos. After your editing, another button enables you to set the end of the time sequence and export your edited videos to save them.
- Support cutting and rotating clips in videos
- Support 4 resolution and 500+ formats
- No technical skills required
- The old stylish interface is not attractive
- Not support download list
Best Free Open Source Video Editor for PC
When you grow more and more familiar with video editing, you will require software with more features. Therefore, we are going to introduce three open-source video editors to you. If you want to upgrade the quality of your works, learn to use those applications now.
Blender is a free and open-source 3D creation suite. It's more than a simple video editor supporting 3D modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, motion tracking, and video editing.
By virtue of those outstanding features, Blender is capable of creating both short animated films or beautiful movies. You can use it to change your videos' speed and select the most appropriate layers, transitions, keyframes, and filters to enhance your videos' visual effects.
Blender supports audio mixing while syncing, scrubbing, and waveform visualization can also be applied to your works if necessary.
- Support real-time viewport preview
- Support VR rendering and 3D painting with textured brushes
- Support envelop, skeleton, and automatic skinning
- The learning curve might be steep for beginners
- Lack of external support that other programs give it
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, and Linux
Like Blender, Shotcut is also a free, open-source, and cross-platform video editor. It supports hundreds of audio and video formats and codecs, allowing users to create and export all types of videos and projects.
Shotcut supports a multi-format timeline that allows users to mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project. By supporting 4K resolution, Shotcut can be applied to export HD videos, satisfying most users' needs.
Its intuitive interface makes people find the button they need as soon as possible, which can be a great convenience for users who have to process many files.
- Support 4K resolution and the latest formats of audio and video
- Offer plenty of types of visual effects, including 50+filters
- Support audio volume control
- Not available in the latest Windows operating system
- Due to quickness, mistakes are made
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, and Linux
OpenShot is a powerful open-source video editing application that can create stunning videos, films, and animations with its user-friendly interface and a full set of features.
This software is compatible with many operating systems that ensure you use it in the long term without worrying about replacing computers.
It is available in 70+ languages that worldwide users can enjoy editing videos easily and conveniently with Openshot.
- An excellent choice for video editing with unlimited layers
- The perfect balance between advanced features and brief interface
- Support unlimited tracks with clip resizing, scaling, trimming, snapping, rotation, and cutting features
- Support 3D animated titles and effects
- Beginners may easily get confused while editing a video with it for the first time
- The effects are limited due to no team is developing them
- Exist a tendency to lag
Compatibility: Windows, macOS, and Linux
Best Free Video Editor for Professionals (Experienced Users)
As for experienced video makers or moviemakers, professional or advanced video editors are what they exactly want. In this part, we collect the other 5 free video editing software to help you pick up the best one for creating fantasy visual works.
HitFilm Express is a professional video editor produced by FXhome.
Although it is the free version of HitFilm Video Editor, HitFilm Express is as rich-featured as the paid version. It is designed for people who need to make their works impressive, so that this software aims to provide some advanced filters, visual effects with VFX tools to enable users to create films, gaming videos, etc.
It's a great choice for both beginners and critical YouTubers.
- Support 180+ visual effects
- Free of charge for an advanced video editor
- Built-in YouTube uploading access
- Advanced compositing feature with amination tools for video editing
- The steep learning curve for beginners
- Transitions in the library are not enough
Compatibility: Windows and macOS
DaVinci Resolve is more than an ordinary video editor but an advanced tool for creating professional videos with an intuitive interface.
This software supports professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and adding 2D and 3D titles into a video. It enables multi-users collaboration so that editors, colorists, VFX artists, etc., can work live on the same project simultaneously.
This software also allows you to synchronize all your clips using sound so that you can save time and energy greatly in lining up all the clips for real-time editing.
- Efficient and professional video editor for film and movie makers
- Support 8K editing
- Support add 2D, 3D titles
- Support color correction
- Some advanced features may charge for money
- Continual crashes to desktop
Compatibility: Windows,macOS, and Linux
Lightwork is literally not a 100% free video editor as it offers a free 7-day license for users to enjoy and try its powerful video editing features.
Moreover, with a real-time FX feature, its intuitive interface allows users to trim, cutting images, audio, sounds, etc., footages at one time.
- Support 4K resolution
- Support multiple types of video formats
- World-class trimming for fast precision editing
- 4K video is only available in the Paid version
- Not support a smart content analyzer
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, and Linux
InVideo is more like an online video editor that supplies plenty of video templates for users to add and beautify their videos. Users can pick and choose the template's right size, depending on the platform you are using.
InVideo offers both basic and advanced video editing features. For instance, you can easily change the colors, animations, fonts, and other elements.
It supports users to upload their video, images, photos, music files, etc. onto InVideo and combine them online.
- Support high-quality video templates, filters
- Support Video Stabilization
- Support HD resolution
- Time-consuming for uploading and downloading videos
- Lags happen all the time
Compatibility: Windows and Mac
VSDC is a free video editor only available on Windows computers. With powerful features, users can correct colors and even add voice over in their videos.
- Support the latest video, audio formats, and codecs
- Support color correction
- Support audio editing
- Technical support charges money
- No built-in title presets, or animated texts
In this post, we discussed the best video editing software in 2021. There must be a program that can satisfy most of your needs, following your proficiency in editing videos.
But EaseUS Video Editor is the most multifunctional one among all the applications above. It can give beginners the ability to create video works and bring professionals a lot of conveniences. Don't hesitate to download it now!