Table of Contents
10 Best Snagit Alternatives to Record Your Screen
If you have landed here on this page, you are probably looking for a Snagit alternative to record the screen on your computer. Maybe you are not happy with Snagit for some reason like it does not have the feature that you need. Or, maybe you do not find it easy to use this software for your screen recording tasks.
Regardless of the reasoning, we list several alternatives to Snagit that you can use and record the screen on your computer.
Part 1. An Introduction to Snagit
Snagit is a pretty popular screen recording tool that allows you to record and edit the screen of your computer. With this tool, you can create many types of screen recording videos. These usually include instructional and educational videos where you explain concepts using your computer's screen.
While Snagit has many features that you will find useful for your screen recording tasks, it does not have all the features that you would need. This is when you need to find a Snagit alternative to get your task done.
- Quickly create visual instructional videos
- Share your content with many sharing sites
- Record part of screen or the entire screen
- Record webcam as an overlay for your screen recording
- Record sound from computer easily
- Limited export file formats
- The trial period only lasts for fifteen days
Part 2. 10 Snagit Alternatives to Record Your Screen
If Snagit does not meet your expectations and you are looking to discover more tools, the following is a list of some of the best Snagit alternatives to record the screen on your computer.
Top 1. EaseUS RecExperts
When it comes to recording screens on a computer, EaseUS RecExperts secures the first position thanks to all of the features that it has to offer. From having a neatly organized user interface to letting users record their screens multiple ways, this tool has everything that you would ever need to make screen recordings on your computer.
This best free screen recorder allows you to choose what type of recording to make on the very first screen. This way, you are only presented with the options that are relevant to your task and that you can configure and use them in your screen recording. This one is certainly the best Snagit alternative that you can find on the market.
- Record an area or your entire computer screen
- Several file formats to choose from for your video
- Include or exclude audio in your screen recording
- Multiple audio sources for your recording
- Add a webcam overlay to your recordings
- Support auto-stop and auto-split functions
Download this free screen recording software and have a try. You may find its highlights comparing with Snagit.
Let's learn how to record screen with EaseUS RecExperts.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS RecExperts. There are two different options for screen recording, i.e., "Full Screen" and "Region". If you select "Full Screen", you will capture the whole screen.
Step 2. If you select the "Region" option, this software will ask you to customize the recording area. Make sure that everything you want to capture is within the bounds of the select box.
Step 3. Tap on the button at the bottom left side of the main interface, and there will be many options you can select. This recorder supports recording microphone and system sound separately or simultaneously. The "Options" button is for you to adjust the volume and microphone device.
Step 4. If you want to record the webcam simultaneously, click on the "Webcam" icon at the bottom of the interface. Tap on the button to enable the webcam recording, and there will be a drop-down menu to select the recording device. Click on "OK" to confirm your settings.
Step 5. When you turn back to the main interface, click on the "REC" button to start recording. A floating toolbar offers you buttons to pause or stop the recording during the recording process. In addition, the camera icon can be used to take screenshots, and the timer icon can help you stop recording automatically.
Step 6. The recorded video clips will be saved on your computer. When the media player appears, you will see a set of tools you can use to trim the recordings, extract audio, and add opening title & closing credits to the recorded video.
Top 2. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a perfect screen recording tool for those who are looking for an intuitive interface and easy to use option. This makes it easier for you to pick the option that you want to use and start recording the screen of your computer.
Not only can you record your computer's screen with this tool but you can also record audio and webcam on your computer. You can add your own watermark to your videos for brand awareness.
- Intuitive user interface
- Record your gameplay
- Quickly share your recorded content on the web
- It remembers your last selected area
- Trim your recordings
- The Windows version offers more features than the Mac version
- The free version only lets you record for up to five minutes
Top 3. Debut
Debut is not just a screen recorder like Snagit but it is actually an all-in-one solution to all of your recording needs. This tool allows you to record your screen as well as record content from your attached devices. This lets you use your IP cameras and such other gadgets to record and save videos on your computer. You can customize your screen recording so that only the parts of the screen you want are recorded.
- Record your computer screen with ease
- Capture video from your external devices
- Some editing options are included
- Add a webcam overlay to your recordings
- Support for many video formats
- You can only use the free version for personal tasks
- It does not have many editing tools
- This tool looks a bit outdated
Top 4. Bandicam
Bandicam offers many more features than just letting you record the content displayed on your screen. With this tool, you can record your computer screen, your high-end gameplays, and even capture content from the devices that are plugged into your computer. All of this is possible from a nice and clean interface of this software tool. You can schedule recording as well with this tool.
- Draw on your screen recordings
- Start your recordings at the pre-specified time
- Record the internal sound of your computer
- Include your mouse cursor in your recordings
- Chroma key support
- It does not support many video formats
- Does not come with an editor to edit your videos
Top 5. ShareX
ShareX is a free and open-source tool that helps you to take screenshots as well as make recordings of your computer screen. It does not have any advertisements and is very lightweight on your system. There are workflows that you can customize according to your own taste. You have various options to capture screenshots, record videos, and edit your content all within the tool. As if this was not enough, there are options to upload your videos to your chosen sites.
- Perform many tasks to your recordings after the recording has been made
- Record a specific area on your computer screen
- Support for drag and drop method
- Quickly copy the video URL to your clipboard
- The new users might find the tool a bit difficult to use
- There is no option to add a webcam overlay to your videos
Top 6. TinyTake
If the reason you are looking for a Snagit alternative is that you want a quick and easy way to record and annotate your screen, TinyTake could be the perfect solution for you. This tool helps you record your screen, add a webcam overlay to your screen, record certain parts of your screen, and perform such other related tasks on your computer. It is a proxy-friendly tool meaning you can use any of your proxy servers with this program.
- Record screen and webcam at the same time
- Create and use custom keyboard shortcuts
- Quickly get a shareable link for your videos
- Zoom in and zoom out effects
- Annotate your existing content as well
- You can only record for up to two hours
- The recording storage is limited to 2 GB
- A limited number of editing tools
Top 7. OBS Studio
OBS stands for Open Broadcaster Software, and although it says it is a broadcasting software, you can totally use it for your screen recording tasks as well. It is a completely free and open-source program allowing you to capture your screen like how you do with Snagit. The tool comes with a mixer in case you are looking to mix the content that you produce with the program. It has a configurable user interface that allows you to drag your panels around and keep them wherever you prefer on your screen.
- Completely free and available for all major platforms
- Record as well as stream on your computer
- Add multiple items for recording
- Customizable user interface
- There is no option to pause your screen recordings
- The setup procedure takes quite a lot of time
- Resource-hungry app
Top 8. FlashBack Express
FlashBack Express is your full solution for all your screen and webcam recording requirements. With this tool, you can record screen, record sound and record a video of yourself using the webcam. There is no limit as to how long you can record your videos and there will be no watermark in your videos even in the free version. You have several file formats to choose from for the resulting recording file.
- Record screen, sound, and webcam
- Add voice commentary to your videos
- No watermark in the free version
- Multiple video formats are supported
- The free version does not offer editing tools
- Saving in all formats requires a license key
Top 9. Screencast-O-Matic
Screencast-O-Matic might ring a bell in your mind if you have ever used or searched for a video creation tool. Not only does this tool let you make screen recordings on your computer like Snagit but the tool allows you to make the perfect type of videos for all your needs.
There are options to customize what area of your screen you want to record. You can customize the area that your webcam overlay occupies in your video. You can add voice commentary from any of your connected microphones. If you cannot find an item, there is a huge library of stock items to choose from.
- Custom area recording on your computer
- Resize the area for your webcam recording
- Add narration to your recordings
- Large stock library
- You cannot record your screen without an Internet connection
- You cannot record full screen in the free version
- Watermark is added to your recordings
Top 10. CamStudio
CamStudio might not be as modern as other tools suggested here, however, it is a good replacement for Snagit if all that you are looking for is a quick and easy way to record the screen on your computer. This tool is free, open-source, and offers all the features you need to make a good educational video on your computer. The software is actually suitable to make any kind of screen recording videos and it is up to you to choose what you want to create.
- A free and open-source program
- Convert your recordings to flash videos as well
- Add captions to your screen recordings
- Compress your videos
- Easy to learn
- Not many editing options
- Does not have many latest recording features
- The interface looks outdated
While Snagit is a good enough tool for most people to record their screens, you might want to find a Snagit alternative if this tool does not fulfill your needs. Luckily, there are programs like EaseUS RecExperts that make it extremely easy to create your recordings. There are other tools as well that you can use as a replacement for Snagit.
Was This Page Helpful?
About the Author