Table of Contents
Top 8 Laptop Screen Recorder on Windows
With a large number of laptop screen recording solutions available in the market, you might feel confused while taking the end call. We have done the research on our end so that you can save time and focus more on researching and testing.
Windows 8 lacks any built-in screen recording feature, while Windows 10 is equipped with this feature. But the tools we have listed below come with professional-grade features such as adding annotations so that you can attain better results. So, without further ado, let's get on with the discussion on the top 8 laptop screen recorders which you can try absolutely for free.
Part 1. The Best Choice of Laptop Screen Recorder - EaseUS RecExperts
EaseUS RecExperts, which can help you record any portion of your Windows laptop, will bring out your inner creativity. This free utility is perfect for recording games, apps, video tutorials, Skype calls, live streams, webinars, etc. While recording, you can freely choose to record with or without system sound, microphone, and even webcam.
Moreover, to improve recording experience, it provides schedule recording, auto-stop, and auto-split features, which will free up your hand to some degree.
- Record narrations with a simple button click
- Record part of screen or capture full screen of your laptop
- Record streaming video easily
- Offer some editing tools to modify the recorded files
- Help extract audio from your recorded videos in one click
More features of EaseUS RecExperts are waiting for you to explore. Come and try this amazing laptop screen recorder!
Step 1. Launch EaseUS RecExperts. There are two different options for screen recording, i.e., "Full Screen" and "Region". If you select "Full Screen", you will capture the whole screen.
Step 2. If you select the "Region" option, this software will ask you to customize the recording area. Make sure that everything you want to capture is within the bounds of the select box.
Step 3. Tap on the button at the bottom left side of the main interface, and there will be many options you can select. This recorder supports recording microphone and system sound separately or simultaneously. The "Options" button is for you to adjust the volume and microphone device.
Step 4. If you want to record the webcam simultaneously, click on the "Webcam" icon at the bottom of the interface. Tap on the button to enable the webcam recording, and there will be a drop-down menu to select the recording device. Click on "OK" to confirm your settings.
Step 5. When you turn back to the main interface, click on the "REC" button to start recording. A floating toolbar offers you buttons to pause or stop the recording during the recording process. In addition, the camera icon can be used to take screenshots, and the timer icon can help you stop recording automatically.
Step 6. The recorded video clips will be saved on your computer. When the media player appears, you will see a set of tools you can use to trim the recordings, extract audio, and add opening title & closing credits to the recorded video.
Part 2. Other 7 Recommended Laptop Screen Recorders
Some people may ask if there are other options with different features to record screen on laptops. Sure! In this part, we will recommend 7 popular laptop screen recorders and discuss their pros and cons respectively.
1. FlashBack Express
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/7
This screen recorder is ideal for recording the full screen or a selected portion per your preference. On completion of screen recording, the video is displayed in a straightforward editorial manager from where you can trim it according to your needs. You can even add webcam footage to the screen recordings for more professional results. All the videos recorded are devoid of any watermark. You can share the results easily over YouTube, FlashBack Connect, or download them on your laptop for later reference. The easy-to-use interface of this screen recorder is a match made in heaven for novice users.
- Does not leave any watermark on the resultant files
- The footage captured can be shared online easily
- Does not impose any time limits on the recordings
- Can export videos in AVI, MP4, and WMV formats
- Does not require any license key for its activation
- Certain features can only be availed in the paid version
- The free trial period covers just 30 days
- You need to register with a valid email address for accessing the software
- Has higher CPU utilization compared to peer software
- The recorded files cannot be edited in the trial version
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/8/7
TinyTake is a feature-rich video and screen image capture tool which has been developed by MangoApps. You can easily make educational videos with this user-friendly tool which allows adding arrows, text boxes, and even highlighting certain parts of the screen recording. For capturing the entire screen, webcam, or a certain portion, you just need to right-click your mouse and choose amongst the available options. The software has a user-friendly interface that allows completing the entire recording process without any hiccups.
- Upload recordings to YouTube
- Share recorded vide easily as links.
- Allow video capture over a time span of 60 minutes
- Drag and drop functions to share and annotate your recordings
- The free version cannot be used for commercial purposes
- The trial version does not come with any online chat option to resolve your doubts
- Limited social platform sharing channels
- The basic version allows for only 2GB of cloud storage
3. OBS Studio
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/8
This open-source software allows you to record webcam, capture screen, and microphone on your laptop. You can also undertake audio capturing and mixing with OBS Studio. Professional grade results can be attained by rearranging the layout as per preference or popping out each Dock to its corresponding window.
OBS Studio records directly from the GPU, and this helps to capture games in full-screen mode. It can make optimal use of your multi-core CPUs by recording at 60FPS and even higher. Users can take their pick amongst a variety of customizable transitions while switching between scenes. Both the scenes and sources can be previewed in the Studio Mode before live streaming. The streamlined settings panel offers a plethora of configuration options that help to tweak every aspect of your recording or broadcast.
- Specially optimized for recording gaming content
- Allows working with multiple sources and mixing between them for better results
- Screen recording can be streamed to Facebook, YouTube, and Twitch
- Does not impose any time limit on the video
- The resultant video does not come with any watermark
- Has a steep learning curve
- Doesn't have the "Pause" feature
- Setup takes some time for completion
- Not well suited for beginner users
4. Acethinker Free Screen Recorder Online
Applies to: Online
Record your computer screen with top-notch quality by banking on the AceThinker Online Screen Recorder. This highly powerful web-based utility can be used without creating an account or installing any software. The recorded videos can be shared instantly over YouTube, Google Drive, or Dropbox. You can record the entire screen or just a part with Acethinker Online Screen Recorder even while being away from your laptop.
- Videos can be recorded in AVI, MP4, WMV, and MOV formats
- An intuitive interface makes it well suited for users of all experience levels
- Both video and audio can be recorded through your webcam
- Users can be selective about including or excluding system sounds
- Ideal for making tutorial videos, recording online conferences, and gameplay
- Not meant for online content creators trying to engage in professional-level editing
- Doesn't offer advanced video editing options like speed ramping, chroma-key, frames per second adjustment, etc.
- Relies completely on the internet for its operation
- Videos tend to lose their quality post-recording
- Does not have any built-in video editor or filters
5. VSDC Free Screen Recorder Software
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/7
This free program can help you capture desktop screenshots for creating video files in a variety of formats. You can either select the entire desktop or a specific portion for creating intuitive video tutorials. Voice or audio can either be recorded from different external sound devices like microphones. You can switch to drawing mode during video capture for marking a specific area with a pencil tool. These features can prove to be extremely helpful in recording laptop screens with various audio and video effects.
- You can either record without audio or record with audio from the microphone
- The screen resolution can be selected for greater versatility
- The recording area can be customized as per preference
- Simple settings of its easy-to-use interface make the software well suited for beginners
- Drawing tools like shapes and annotations delivers professional-grade results
- You cannot take screenshots with this tool
- Videos cannot be uploaded directly to various portals
- The cursor Overlay option is not of much help
- Lacks necessary video editing tools
- Webcam cannot be recorded with the VSDC free screen recorder
6. XSplit Broadcaster
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/8/7
The free-of-cost XSplit Broadcaster can record your laptop screen, webcam, video card, and any media document. You can undertake live streaming, screencasting, and game casting with this versatile tool. XSplit Broadcaster has interactive navigation along with drag-and-drop graphics. This makes it easy for users to access images from various folders and position them directly on the streaming screen. While XSplit Broadcaster supports a variety of file formats, PNG format leads to the best results while screen recording. Users can even skip the broadcast selection and switch to local recording options as per requirement.
- Offer a large selection of plug-ins and customizations
- Stream layouts can be loaded automatically for recording the screen easily
- Allow the creation of macros and hotkeys for greater ease of use
- Can broadcast to numerous platforms including custom RTMP
- The quality of the broadcast can be configured in terms of different technical aspects
- Come with a steep learning curve, making it difficult for newcomers to understand and operate
- Certain features can only be used with watermarks on the result files
- The free version is plagued with advertisements that disrupt your normal workflow
- You might face complications while working with multiple devices
- The trial version has very limited features
7. iSpring Free Cam
Compatibility: Windows 10/8/7
With this software, you can capture your laptop screen along with audio and even refine the recording by banking on its built-in editor. On completion, the recorded video can be saved in 720p resolution and in WMV format. iSpring Free Cam allows users to upload and share the screen recordings over YouTube with a single click.
- Record a voice-over using your microphone
- Record the entire screen or a selected area of the screen
- Record sounds of different applications and programs
- Built-in audio and video editors
- Allow the export of only WMV files
- Cannot record webcam videos
- Does not support cloud recording
- Relatively high CPU usage
- Lack of any annotation tool
In summary, we have discussed the 8 best laptop screen recorders. While all of these tools come with their own share of advantages and disadvantages, EaseUS RecExperts stands out from its peers with a simple and intuitive interface. In spite of being lightweight, this tool comes packed with features to deliver professional-grade results. With this program, you can save your recordings in multiple formats such as MP4, FLV, MOV, MKV, AVI, and many more.
Was This Page Helpful?
About the Author