How to Record Audio on Windows 8 PC for Free
The audio recording software became a popular tool not only for professionals like journalists and music producers but common people. It's a hot topic among teachers, online lecturers, gamers, or streamers. If you frequently take part in a fascinated webinar, Skype discussion, or Facebook call, and your PC is running under Windows 8, you will need some kind of good audio recorders. This article is focused on the top 5 free audio recording software which is compatible with Windows 8. Just keep on reading to find more information.
Don't Miss: How to record audio on Windows 10
# 1. EaseUS RecExperts
EaseUS RecExperts, a new application, has tons of useful features. It can help you capture the full screen, a specific area of the screen, or just video and sound of the webcam easily. It can record system sounds and the narrator's voice with a microphone. Also, you can record the background sounds and a voice from the conversation at the same time.
Moreover, the software is a useful tool for a number of different scenarios - entertainment (like easy sharing your gameplay), for work tasks (including capturing a web conference), for learning processes, etc. After recording, you can save the recorded footage for more than 10 formats, like MP4, WMV, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, and a lot more.
- Advanced editing allows you to add real-time effects to your clip, including some text or arrow
- Export your recording to YouTube and Vimeo, as well to download your clips to Google Drive or Dropbox
- Create a scheduled audio recording task to record Skype or Facebook at a specific time automatically
- This software has a version only for Windows platform
Let's see how easy it is to record audio with EaseUS RecExperts:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS RecExperts, you can choose one of the four main functions on the main screen. Here you need to click "Record Audio".
Step 2. In the "System sound" setting, you can select the audio type you need to record, such as System sound, Microphone, System sound and microphone, and Record without audio. And then click the "REC" button to start recording.
Step 3. When you finish recording, you will see your audio recording file in the video list, and then select the file and right-click it that you can compress, edit, share, and rename your audio file.
You also can click the "Open folder" button to find this audio file on your computer.
# 2. Audacity
Audacity is a popular open-source digital audio workstation. It allows you to record audio files without much of a hassle. It's truly compatible with Windows 8, and it serves as a digital audio workstation. So you can also convert tapes and records into digital recordings. Besides, you can edit your files and perform a lot of post-processing tasks, including effects, leveling, noise reduction.
- It's a free application and supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit samples.
- As open-source software, it boasts community support, lots of help documents.
- Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Tracks with different sample rates or formats are converted automatically in real time
- A cross-platform, you can work on your project on Windows and Mac
- Pretty messy dashboard
- Real-time audio effects are not automatically applied
- Some functions require expensive third-party plugins
Quick steps to audio recording:
Step 1. To start an audio recording, you have to press the Record button on the toolbar
Step 2. Use shortcut "Shift + R" to start recording in a new track at either the current cursor position or at the beginning of the current selection.
Step 3. Apply Noise Reduction, which reduces constant background sounds such as hum, whistle, whine, buzz, fan noise, or FM/webcast carrier noise.
Step 4. Export audio and save it on your computer.
# 3. Bandicam
Bandicam is an easy-to-use (partly free) screen and audio recorder for Windows 8. It allows you to capture any area of your screen both as a screenshot and as a video file. Users can record anything in quite different scenarios – from lectures to webinars, as well as games and Skype calls. Then you can share the recorded video/ audio to YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo.
- A user-friendly interface Mix your own voice with webcam recording
- A webcam recorder uses DirectX/OpenGL graphic to record HD video sessions
- Mouse effects to highlight your tutorials
- There is version only for Windows
- No editing tools No live streaming to share video with others
- The free version has a watermark
Quick steps to record audio on Windows 8:
Step 1. To record a "computer sound", choose "(Default Sound Device)" as the Primary Sound Device.
Step 2. To record your voice, you have to choose the "Microphone" device in the Sound settings window.
Step 3. To record "computer sound" and "your voice" at the same time, choose "(Default Sound Device)" and "Microphone", and then check the "Two Sound Mixing" option.
# 4. OcenAudio
OcenAudio is a free audio editing tool, available for all major operating systems: Windows, macOS, and Linux. All versions of the application have a uniform set of features and the same graphical interface. It works well both with files from your computer or laptop, as well as stored at a public cloud. Compared to many free audio editing tools, this software provides a preview in real time. Besides offering an incredible waveform view of your audio files, OcenAudio has a powerful and complete spectrogram view. In this view, you can analyze the spectral content of your audio signal with maximum clarity.
- There are different effects, you can apply to your audio
- So you can hear the result, before applying, and try other effects, including filters, gain, and equalizer
- Powerful application for beginners, as they can edit online audio files
- You can hear the applied effects immediately
- Not available for mobile devices
- No support of multi-track Irregular updates
Quick steps to capture audio on Windows 8:
Step 1. Start the audio source and just press the small "Record" button.
Step 2. When you finished the recording, you can apply noise reduction.
Step 3. Save the audio file in a different format (there are tons of supported ones).
Step 4. Start the analyzing tool to view a full detailed picture of your recorded call.
# 5. OBS Studio
This is an intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain. It's free and open-source software. It's a tool, often related to tasks like live streaming, so it's perfect for gamers. Live streaming videos can be shown through YouTube and Twitch or other platforms.
- Create scenes made up of multiple sources
- Various setting options to meet different recording needs on Windows 8
- Powerful and easy to use configuration options
- Add new Sources, duplicate existing ones, and adjust their properties
- No editing tools available to use
- It is a little bit complicated to use, especially for beginners
Quick steps to record audio with OBS Studio:
Step 1. Start OBS Studio and you'll see the Auto-Configuration Wizard. This wizard automatically tests your system and attempt to find settings that your PC can handle.
Step 2. Set up your audio devices (by default OBS is set to capture your system default desktop audio device and microphone).
Step 3. Select up to two Desktop Audio devices and up to three Microphone/Auxiliary Device (Settings -> Audio and select the devices manually).
Step 4. In the output Mode, select Advanced- > Audio Tab. By default, OBS selects 160 kbps for stereo.
If you are using a tablet or laptop, running under Windows 8, but still you're struggling with its user interface, you'll need third-party applications. The best way to record an audio tutorial, or to capture your Skype call, is to use a free audio recorder.
This guide shows 5 of the most popular audio recording software. You can download the appropriate version of the software, then start the application and adjust the recording settings. And the best choice for beginners, as well for professional users, is EaseUS RecExperts. It provides many additional features like screen recording, game recording, advanced editing functions, and it supports a lot of video and audio formats. This wonderful screen recorder will never disappoint you.