Table of Contents
Top 12 Best Free Video Recording Software on Windows/Mac
There are many reasons why you need to record a video. For example, to make a video tutorial for a better and more intuitive presentation, record a video that you can't download, record a real-time video so that you can share fun things with your friends on the social platform. All the work can be done with the best free screen recorder.
On the Internet, you can find plenty of video capture software, but they vary in functionalities. It's essential to choose the right free video recording software depending on what you intend to do. This post covers the top 12 best free video capture software. Now take a look to find the most appropriate one.
Top 12 Best Free Video Recording Software:
- 1. EaseUS RecExperts (Windows 10/8.1/7)
- 2. Xbox Game bar (Windows 10)
- 3. Flashback Express (Windows)
- 4. CamStudio (Windows)
- 5. ShareX (Windows 10/8.1/7)
- 6. Screencast-O-Matic (Windows/Mac)
- 7. EaseUS RecExperts (macOS 10.10 or later)
- 8. OBS Studio (Windows/Mac)
- 9. QuickTime Player (macOS X 10.5 or later)
- 10. Monosnap (Windows/Mac)
- 11. Jing (Windows/Mac)
- 12. VLC Media Player (Windows/Mac)
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/7
If you are looking for free video capture software on Windows 10, you cannot miss EaseUS RecExperts. This windows 10 video capture software can be regarded as the best screen recording software available for both novice and pro. It allows you to capture your screen area according to your needs, such as capture full screen, a selected area, or a specific window.
With this software, you also can record streaming video, record audio from the computer, or record Webcam and gameplay easily and quickly. Besides, this screen recorder offers you access to upload your recording to social media platforms like YouTube after recording.
- Friendly to both beginners and professionals
- Record part of screen and record full screen on Windows 10
- Enable you to add texts, lines, arrows to the video while recording
- Allows you to record audio from YouTube
- Record screen and Webcam simultaneously
- Offer many different output formats, like MP4, MOV, AVI, and more
If you want to download this useful tool to capture what you need, click on the button below to get it for free.
How to Record with Free Video Capture Software Windows 10:
Step 1. Open the web page that contains the video that you want to capture. Then launch EaseUS RecExperts on your computer and click "Record Screen".
Step 2. Click "Full" and choose the "Select region" option to adjust the area of the screen that you want to record. After that, click "Microphone" to select the "System sound" option.
If you need to leave your computer for a while, you can use the capture timer and the program will stop grabbing the video at the designed time. Just click on the "Task Scheduler(OFF)" button to set the start and stop time.
Step 3. Once done, click on the "REC" button to start the recording. While recording the video, you can use the take screenshots, add texts, and highlight the important part of the video. If you like, you also can add arrows, numbering, and something else to your video.
Step 4. Once you have captured the video from the web page, click the "Stop" button. The recorded video will be immediately saved to your computer. Then right-click on the recorded video on the Video list. You can choose to preview, compress, edit, or upload the video directly to sharing media sites like YouTube.
Compatibility: Windows 10
Windows 10 has a pre-installed free video recorder named Game Bar for anyone who wants to capture their game clips and screenshots. You can use Game Bar to record apps, especially for gaming capture.
This software is a good choice if you want to record your wonderful moments of playing games or record a teaching video of playing games.
- User-friendly, convenient to use
- Screen recorder without watermark
- Record video with audio
- No time limit for recording video, ad-free
- Record LOL gameplay or other popular games
- Edit the video after recording
- Record apps only, not available for recording full screen or a specific region
- No pause function when recording the video
- Limited video editing features
Flashback Express, released by Blueberry Software, is a free video capture software that can record screens, webcam, and sounds. It's packed with the same video recording features as the pro version.
You can use this free video recorder to capture your whole screen, a window, a selected area, or a webcam. Once the recording finishes, you can trim and crop your video with a simple editor, then export it to YouTube, an FTP server, or your PC.
- Well designed interface
- Free video recording software without watermark
- No time limit on recording
- Record screen and webcam
- Record audio while capturing video
- The free version doesn't include any video editing features
- Limited video output formats: MP4, AVI, WMV
CamStudio is one of the best free video capture tools to record screen objects and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files.
You can choose to use custom cursors to record the entire screen or just a part of it. CamStudio can also add high-quality, anti-aliased (non-aliased) screen descriptions to your video recordings quickly. After recording, you can have "best quality" ones for burning onto CD/DVD.
- Provides unique video annotation feature
- Record computer audio and user's voice
- 100% free for personal and commercial projects
- No editing feature in this application
- Not available for macOS devices
Compatibility: Windows 10/8.1/7
ShareX is a free open source screen recorder for capturing still screen grabs and recording videos. This free recording software can record an entire scrolling webpage, identify text via OCR, and even capture your screen according to a schedule.
You can also use this free video recorder to save your screenshot as a GIF instead of a video file, useful for sharing on forums and social media. After video recording, ShareX allows you to send your captured grabs and videos straight to a file-sharing or social media site.
- Easy-to-use with a user-friendly interface
- Record a GIF or videos in other formats
- Support exporting videos in various formats
- Free video recording software without watermark
- No video editing options
- It doesn't support recordings from games running in full-screen mode
Screencast-O-Matic is a browser-based free video recording software on both Windows and macOS. It offers many features ranging from screen recording, video editing, video hosting, and sharing. You can use this free video recorder to capture full screen, window, region, webcam, microphone, and computer sound.
Besides, multiple video editing features are available while recording, such as zoom, trim your recorded clips, add captions, save them to your desktop, YouTube, or the cloud, or share a video link.
- many options for recording a video: full screen, window, or region
- Provide many video editing features, such as trim, cut, change speed, annotations, etc.
- Publish videos directly to YouTube, Vimeo, and other platforms
- Available for multiple platforms, including Windows, macOS, ChromeOS (in browser)
- Time-limited, recordings are limited to 15 minutes in length
- Watermark added on the recorded video
- The free version offers limited functionality
Compatibility: macOS 10.10 or later
As the most recommended software in Mac, it is featured with its Lightweight and rich functionality. You can use it to capture whatever happens on your Mac screen while customizing the recording region according to your preference. You can record the full screen, record part of screen, or a specific application window.
Besides that, you can capture the audio simultaneously. There are several optional audio sources, including system sound, audio in the microphone, and both. If you want to record your voice with more advanced equipment, it's possible to install an external microphone since EaseUS RecExperts can be compatible with external devices like microphones and cameras.
- No watermark
- Support capturing videos in high resolution
- Schedule recording without much effort
- Export the recordings as animated GIFs
- Record a Skype call, a Zoom meeting, and online classes
- Capture the screen of iOS devices
If those features help you, you can click on the button below to download this recording tool for free.
How to Record with Best Video Recording Software on Mac:
Step 1. Download and launch EaseUS RecExperts on your Mac computer. Click on the "Screen" button in the Video tab.
Step 2. Click on the "Size" option to choose the recording area. Here you can record your full screen or capture part of the screen by clicking the "Custom" button. You also can select the quality of the recorded video in advance or configure some basic options, like the shortcut and location.
Step 3. If you want to capture screen and audio simultaneously, you can click "Audio Sources" to select an audio source. Besides, you can adjust the volume by hitting the sound icon at the bottom.
Step 4. Once done, click the big red circle button to begin your recording. It will capture anything displayed on your Mac screen. When you are done, click the stop button to end the recording. Then you can watch the recorded video in the preview window. If you are satisfied with it, you can export it as an MP4 or GIF file flexibly.
OBS Studio is a popular open-source and free video recording software tool that works well for live streaming games on Twitch and recording other information.
It has high performance in real-time video/audio capturing and mixing. It creates scenes made up of multiple sources, including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, capture cards, and more.
You can immediately start recording from multiple sources at once, with a fairly nice amount of customization in terms of the options you have. What's more, the application streams with various platforms like Facebook Live, YouTube Live, Hitbox, Twitch, and more.
- Record audio on Mac
- Intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters
- Easy to use configuration option on streamlined Settings panel
- Multiple platforms supported: Windows, Mac, or Linux
- Entirely free, with no limitations
- No pause function for recording
- Not easy for beginners to use
- Not much training material included in OBS Studio
Compatibility: macOS X v10.5 or later
QuickTime Player is the default Mac video player, but it's more than a video player. You could also use QuickTime Player to do video recording for free.
It even has some limited editing capabilities after video captures, such as cut, copies, and pastes, adds a new soundtrack, adds annotations, rotates your video, and more. This free video recording software uses onscreen controls, which are similar to a CD or DVD player.
- Record video on Mac
- Convert recorded video to a variety of formats
- Record audio with video simultaneously
- Record Skype videos in full screen
- Ability to save videos from the web
- Provide video editing features to create beautiful video and share it via email
- Limited recording and editing functionality
- System audio recording is not possible
Monosnap is one of the best free video recording software for Mac. You can use this program to record your screen and take a screenshot if you need to use it as a powerful screen recording software. It offers the option of turning on your webcam, mic, and system's audio all before the recording.
After video recording, you can connect the cloud drives such as Dropbox, CloudApp, Yandex. Disk, Box.com, Google Drive, or FTPs upload recorded videos to share with other PCs and smartphones.
- Totally free without feature limitation
- Record sound from computer
- Record in 60fps to ensure an ultra-smooth playback
- Ideal for students and professionals with its integration with the cloud
- Highlight important details with pen, text, arrow, and shape
- Video editing is not possible
- Cannot record mobile devices
Jing is another video recording software for Mac, released by Techsmith. Unlike all other screen-capture software, The captured video can be saved in SWF format or stored in the screencast. Besides screen video recording, you can use this tool to take screenshots and edit them right after capturing.
- Very simple and easy to use
- Crosshair capture on the focus area is a must to record screen
- A good option for narrating the steps to solve a problem
- Allow you to suspend while recording
- Come with a movable sun icon that enables you to utilize its function easily
- Only record up to 5 minutes
VLC is a free, open-source video capture software available on different platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. It's great music and video player of any format, including WMA, AAC, AIF, MP3, and much more on your computer.
What's more, it's also good at video recording, and you can regard it as one of the best music video recorders and use it as a free video capture software with built-in screen recording features.
- Simple and clean user interface
- Completely free and open source
- Record streaming audio
- Stream media over the network or internet
- Offer various alluring customized skins
- No audio recording options
- Only capture video playing on VLC
To Sum Up
We talked about the top 12 best screen recording software in this post. Every video recorded differs from each other in many aspects, such as the interface design, operating system, and function.
Among all those video capture programs, EaseUS RecExperts is highly recommended because of its functionality and ease of use. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced user, this video capture software will be appropriate for you just the same.
After recording, you can choose to compress, edit, or upload it to the social media website. If you want to edit the recording video more professionally, you can try a power video editor - EaseUS Video Editor. It never disappoints you!
Those FAQs are useful if you want to know more about the free video capture software on Windows and Mac.
1. What is the best video capture software or the best free screen capture software?
When it comes to free video recording software, I strongly recommend EaseUS RecExperts. This screen recorder has an intuitive workflow that is best for both beginners and professionals. It enables you to record your screen, audio, webcam, and even gameplay with a few simple clicks.
Moreover, it has a built-in video editor, and you can directly edit your recorded footage without downloading other software. For more free video recording software, the options above in the post will tell you more.
2. How do I record video and sound on my computer?
If you are using a Windows 10 computer, you can record a video from your computer for free with the built-in screen recorder. If you are a Mac user, you can rely on QuickTime Player. These tools have basic screen recording features.
If you need more recording features, you can try some video recording software like EaseUS RecExperts, OBS Studio, ShareX, and many more.
3. How do I record a video on Windows 10 for free?
To record a video on Windows 10 for free, you can use the built-in screen recorder called Game Bar.
Step 1. Press Win + G to open it.
Step 2. When you are ready, you can click the Start recording button to begin your recording. Once done, click Stop recording to save the recordings on your computer.
4. What is the easiest recording software?
The Top 12 Video Recording Software：
- EaseUS RecExperts for Windows
- Windows 10 Game bar
- Flashback Express
- EaseUS RecExperts for Mac
- OBS Studio
- QuickTime Player
- VLC Media Player
Was This Page Helpful?
About the Author
Jane is an experienced editor for EaseUS focused on tech blog writing. Familiar with all kinds of video editing and screen recording software on the market, she specializes in composing posts about recording and editing videos. All the topics she chooses are aimed at providing more instructive information to users.