Top 16 Game Recording Software for Windows PC
There are tones of game recording software on the market, many of which claim to be the best video game recording software, but which one is right for you best? When you choose game capture software, you need to consider the user-interface, output formats, FPS speed supported, benchmark-setting, the sharpness of the video screen, the utmost price, etc.
To save your time, we cover the top 16 best game recorder for PC here, including free and paid. To help you understand each product faster, we have listed their important advantages and disadvantages, hoping to help you quickly judge and find the best gaming screen recorder that suits your needs most.
- 1. EaseUS RecExperts
- 2. Built-in Xbox Game Bar/DVR Tool of Microsoft
- 3. Open Broadcaster Software
- 4. Bandicam
- 5. Movavi Screen Recorder
- 6. Nvidia
- 7. Fraps
- 8. Action
- 9. LoiLo Game Recorder
- 10. Xsplit
- 11. Dxtory
- 12. Camtasia
- 13. ShareX
- 14. Ezvid
- 15. TinyTake
- 16. Free Cam
EaseUS RecExperts is an amazing gaming screen recorder for Windows 10 PC. You can record various high-quality and popular 2D/3D games in 4K resolution. Before recording gameplay, you can create a recording task to set the start time and stop recording. When you are finishing the job, you can directly share the gameplay video to social media platforms.
Apart from that, it is a versatile free video recording software for both beginners and professionals. Using this software, you can easily capture any area of your screen (full screen, a selected region, or a specific window), record any audio coming from your computer, and record your webcam with high-quality.
- Easy to use
- Record gameplay and your voice at the same time
- Record computer audio (system sound or microphone)
- Support to create the recording tasks automatically
- Allow you to edit the video by adding texts, lines, arrows, etc. while recording
- Export the recording files in different formats
Now download the best gameplay recording software to capture your games!
Recording games on PC is not a difficult task. EaseUS RecExperts supports various FSP options to enable you to capture your gameplay without lag...
Xbox Game Bar is a pre-installed free video game recording software for Windows 10 that allows you to capture game clips and screenshots. The game bar can be used to record apps, especially for gameplay capture. It's able to record most PC games and enable you to instantly access widgets for screen and sharing, finding teammates with LFG, chatting with friends across Xbox console, mobile, and PC without leaving your game.
- Convenient to use
- Record video with audio
- No time limit for recording video, ad-free
- Completely free screen recorder without watermark
- Edit the video after recording, such as trim the beginning and end of videos
- Record apps only, not available for recording full screen or a specific region
- No pause function when recording the video
3. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a popular open-source and free game capture software that works well for live streaming games on Twitch and recording other information. It is the preferred tool for a lot of gamers out there. You are not required to change any special settings. Select the source which you would like to record and start recording. OBS is capable of recording in MP4 and FLV formats at a 1:1 ratio.
- Free and open source
- Multiple platforms supported: Windows, Mac, or Linux
- Various plugins to enhance the experience
- Support for most live streaming platforms
- Entirely free, with no limitations
- Not the most user-friendly UI
- Lack of built-in video editing functions
Bandicam is good free recording software for gaming. This best game recorder enables you to record at high bitrates and frames. You can record games at flexible frame rates and 4K Ultra HD resolution.
What's more, it offers the compression feature that ensures the recorded game video is in a small size without quality loss. The recordings can be used for gaming or other PC activities.
- Support three recording modes - Screen/Device/Game Recording
- Record game in full-screen, region, webcam, and microphone
- Support real-time drawing, add webcam overlay, schedule recording, mix voice, add mouse effect, etc.
- Built-in compression feature
- Lack of built-in video editor
- The unregistered version record game video with watermark
Movavi is a nice PC game recording software that enables you to record screen and audio simultaneously. It supports resolution up to 4K. Besides, you can sync the webcam and microphone voice-over with an on-going screen recording.
Besides that, this video game recording software provides a lot of video editing features so you can edit the recorded game video, for example, convert a video into GIF; trim, cut, and join videos; add animated titles and special effects, and much more.
- Modern user interface and easier navigation
- Set up the recording parameters
- Record video and audio simultaneously
- Come with many editing tools
- Support screen resolution up to 4K
- A bit expensive
- Limited features in the free trial version
Nvidia Geforce Experience, another free gaming recording software, enables you to capture and share videos, screenshots, and live streams with friends and keep your drivers up to date and optimize your game settings.
Apart from updating your Nvidia drivers, this game recorder for Windows provides Nvidia's Shadowplay feature, allowing you to record games easily. And it can record at the same resolution as your display, so if you have a 4K panel, your recordings will also be in 4K.
- If you have an Nvidia GPU, the GeForce Experience is free to use
- Simple and straightforward
- Use GPU to handle encoding
- Share gameplay videos and live streams on YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook
- Work only with Nvidia GPUs
- Not as versatile as other professional screen recording software
Fraps is another great game recorder for PC. It can put out some massive files due to its benchmarking nature, which provides you a wide range of resolutions. You can set the video capture frame rate manually, and it can go from 30 to 120FPS.
There is also an option to enter a custom FPS value to set the frame rate even below 30. You also can use this gameplay recording software to record both screen and audio through external input or system sound.
- User-friendly interface and simple to use
- Handle a wide variety of resolutions
- Benchmarking feature and statistics embedded
- Highlight cursor and capture audio from an external input device
- Recorded video size is large
- Lack of editing tools
Action is another game capture software on the market. You can use it to record a real-time game in high definition. This gaming screen recorder is compatible with any Windows version and supports more than one video format - AVI and MP4. It can output high-quality MP4 @ 60fps gaming clips by utilizing Intel QSV, Nvidia NVENC, or AMD APP hardware acceleration. After recording, Action allows you to stream videos on different platforms such as YouTube, Livestream, Ustream, etc.
- Good stability while recording game
- Support live streaming on different platforms
- User-friendly interface
- Frame rates cannot be customized
- struggle on older machines; require a decent spec machine
- In free mode, game recording time is limited to 10 minutes
LoiLo game recorder is a lightweight video game recording software. It offers enables you to record ongoing video games and edit the recorded game video with various features.
Moreover, it supports Motion-JPEG. With this file format, you are to reach the best balance between file size and image quality. And it shows the least performance loss compared to any competitor's non-free software.
- Minimal performance loss
- Record your games for free without any limitation
- Create outstanding Full HD video in reasonable file size
- Not compatible with Windows Vista, XP, and Windows 10
XSplit Gamecaster is one of the best game recorders for PC out there. It is compatible with Twitch and can record your game and choose the appropriate settings according to your computer's properties without manual customization.
What's more, it comes with variable video editing features, such as picture-in-picture mode, watermarks, video annotations, and social media integration.
- Enough features are embedded in the free version
- Offer many video editing options
- Record locally or stream to all popular platforms with one click
- Advanced features only come with a monthly subscription
- It's a little expensive
Dxtory is another good free recording software for gaming, which offers tons of features for game recording. Its interface is extremely user-friendly and makes it very simple to understand all settings and adjust them.
This program record a lossless video of the highest possible quality. Thus you need to prepare a lot of space for the captures. You can record the screen with game sound or microphone sound at the same time. You can customize video codecs in the video settings, frames per second from 10-120, sources, size, and format.
- Extremely flexible
- Intuitive and clear user interface
- Plenty of customization options for a video codec, sizes, and formats
- Require a lot of free space on your hard drive without compression
- Annoying trial notification
- Not suitable for ordinary users
Camtasia is an advanced video game recording software. You are free to change the recording settings and adjust the recording window size. It also supports you to record with a camera or microphone.
Camtasia offers some advanced video editing features as a comprehensive video editing software to assist users in adding effects, text, transitions, etc., fantastic features to the target video.
- Record full screen, window, region, webcam, and microphone
- Feature a video editor to edit recorded game video as imported videos
- Support green screen effect of making it seem as if you are a part of the action
- Easy to incorporate animated items, like callouts and scrolling text
- Only free for 30 days with a watermark
- Cost is high for ordinary users
ShareX is a screen recorder software, which is ad-free. This software's main thing is that it is mostly for professional developers and power users because the tools are very advanced. The editing features of this software are complex in nature, but if someone has been using a screen recorder and an editor for some time now, they can easily grasp its use.
The screen recording can be turned into a GIF. Users can set their own hotkeys, take screenshots, see the software's history, and grab content from webpages.
- The full screen can be recorded
- The user can set hotkeys for easy navigation
- Users can put up their own watermarks
- The quality of the game recording might not be up to the standards of the user
- There is no option of webcam recording
- The video editor option is not available
If you are looking for an easy and free game recorder in Windows 10, Ezvid is the right software. The speed of this software is outstanding, and it can save the time of user.
The user can record a video and upload it on YouTube within minutes. This software is specifically designed for those who make video clips from their games frequently and try to do it quickly.
- The user can control the speed of the videos
- It has a very modern interface, which is easy to use
- The video can be uploaded to YouTube easily
- There are minor bugs in this software
- Gamers can't record the full screen of their PC
This is a unique free gamer recorder in Windows 10, which would help users capture images and videos and add comments. This software comes with an online cloud gallery, where people can store all their screen captures and videos.
The user interface of this software is pretty simple and easy to use. The user can easily edit their screen with shapes, annotations, effects, font thickness, and much more.
- Users can share their files in bulk
- They can add a public URL, where people can access their files
- The user can create their own custom short keys
- The free version can record the screen for five minutes only
- Users can save files in mp4 format
- The editing features are limited
16. Free Cam
If a gamer wants a straightforward screen recorder, then Free Cam is just the software for them. The software comes with a video and audio editor and has a very user-friendly interface.
With this software's help, gamers can easily take screencasts of their game and share them with others. These screencasts are very professional in nature, and a bonus is that it doesn't put a watermark on the screen. It is also ad-free software, which is why so many gamers love it.
- There are no watermarks or time limits
- No ads
- The gamer can do voice recording
- Users can remove the background noise
- There is no webcam recording available
- The recordings are saved to WMV
To Sum Up
That's it. These are the top 12 best free game recording software for PC. They have their disadvantages and advantages, some with video editing function, some have no or limited ones. If you are a beginner, you can choose some free and simple-to-use game recording software. For advanced game recording, you can select high-level tools.
For beginners working on Windows, we highly recommend EaseUS RecExperts. This game recorder is easy to use yet powerful. You can not only record gameplay but capture your screen, audio, and webcam with it.
Best Game Recording Software FAQs
1. What is the best recording software for gaming?
There is a lot of video game recording software available on the market. If you are a novice, EaseUS RecExperts is the best option for you. It allows you to record gameplay with a few simple clicks. Apart from that, you also can use it to capture screen, audio, even your webcam according to your needs.
2. What recording software do Youtubers use?
The most common screen recording software used by YouTubers are EaseUS RecExperts, OBS Studio, ShareX, Xsplit...
3. How can I record my gameplay on PC?
To record your gameplay, you need a useful game recorder. For advanced users, OBS - an open-source screen recorder, is the best option. But if you are a novice, you'd better try some easy yet powerful screen recorder like EaseUS RecExperts.