Table of Contents
Best 11 Free Screen Recorder for Mac | 2021 Updated
Do you want to record something on your Mac computer, like an online meeting, an exciting video clip, a video call, or a live streaming video? Whatever you want to capture, you need a free Mac screen recorder first.
In this article, we have rounded up the best 11 Mac video capture software to help choose. To help you select the best free screen recorder, we will introduce each software with its key feature in detail. Just read to learn more information.
#1. EaseUS RecExperts ★★★
When it comes to Mac screen recording software, EaseUS RecExperts is the best option. This software allows you to record the full screen, a selected area, or a locked window flexibly. Also, you can record screen with audio on Mac simultaneously, including the system sound, microphone, or sound from external audio devices.
Apart from capturing the screen, you can record audio or capture the screen as a GIF with one simple click. Most importantly, it won't leave a watermark on your recordings. For this screen recorder without watermark, you can miss it!
Now click the below button to try EaseUS RecExperts for free!
#2. QuickTime Player
You must be familiar with QuickTime Player. It can play, edit, and share videos on your Mac computer. But did you know it is also a screen recording app for Mac?
It lets you capture a full screen or a selected area with a few clicks. With Mac screencast software, you can easily record online meetings, streaming videos, or other activities on your Mac screen. Most importantly, it is straightforward to use even for beginners of its intuitive interface.
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Offer recording and editing options
- Allow you to share the recorded videos with your friends
#3. macOS Catalina
One recommended Mac's built-in screen recorder is macOS Catalina, which is also known as macOS 10.15. It is a cross-platform tool with numerous features. Using this program, you can record your entire screen or selected portion on your Mac with just a few clicks.
- Free and easy to use
- Record full screen or a specific region
#4. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is a free and open source screen recorder for Mac users. It has powerful and easy-to-use configuration options, which lets you add new sources or adjust the properties effortlessly.
Besides, this free Mac screen recorder offers an unlimited number of scenes to switch seamlessly via custom transitions. Also, it can be used for live streaming, which means you can download and start streaming quickly on your Mac.
- Completely free for all users
- Allow you to capture real-time activities and create great live streaming videos
- Offer intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters
- Compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux
Screenflow is another free Mac screen recorder with audio. This video capture is very polished and can record anything and give you many editing options once the recording is done.
Using Screenflow, you can record computer audio or microphone as well. In addition, this Mac screen capture even can monitors keystrokes and mouse movements, which can make the recording more interesting.
- A lightweight screen recorder and video editor
- Export almost all the major formats and directly upload recorded videos to YouTube
- Provide a lot of effects
- Enable you to record video and audio simultaneously
Screencast-O-Matic is a versatile Mac screen recorder and editor. It is free and fast to create screencast videos with this screen recording program. When the recording is done, you can personalize your video with the built-in video editor. Here it allows you to add overlays, text, animations, visual effects, and many more to your recorded video quickly.
- Available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and Chromebook users
- Offer some basic yet useful video editing tools
- Add and size your webcam for a picture in picture effect
- Share the recorded videos to YouTube with one click
Snagit is a screen recording tool, which enables you to record video and capture images. This screen recorder can capture your entire Mac screen, a region, a window, or a scrolling screen. It lets you quickly grab individual frames from the recorded videos or save your video file as an mp4 or animated GIF with ease.
In addition, this Mac screen capture enables you to remove any unwanted sections from your screen recordings by trimming after recording.
- Allow you to record iOS screen with Snagit
- Record screen, webcam, audio, and other things on your screen
- Turn video into an animated GIF and add it to your website
#8. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is another completely free and open-source screen recording software for Mac. Like QuickTime Player, it can help you play media files, convert file formats, and capture your computer screen. It is straightforward to use. When you want to do some quick screen recording on your Mac, you cannot miss VLC Media Player.
- A screen recorder, video converter, and media player at the same time
- Help you stream media on the internet
- 100% free and easy to use
Camtasia can help you record and create professional-looking videos on Windows and Mac computers. This free Mac screen recorder is easy and quick to learn, and you do not need a big budget or fancy video editing skills.
With it, you can easily record anything on your computer, including an application, website, video call, or PowerPoint presentation. Apart from that, it supports iOS capturing. You can connect your iOS device directly to your Mac to record from the screen, then add some effects to your video.
- Provide options for recording screen, webcam, and audio
- Allow you to use callouts, arrows, shapes to highlight important points in your video
- Built with many templates to reduce your editing time
- Flexibly apply device frames to your videos to make them play well on a different device screen
As another best free screen recorder for Mac, Screenflick is popular all over the world. A simple user interface helps you be more efficient to start recording tasks. Built with a smart recording engine, it lets you capture screen and audio with the highest quality and resolution. What's more, the video, audio, keystrokes, and mouse clicks are recorded in separate tracks so that you can modify them conveniently after recording.
- Record system audio, microphone, or external mic on your Mac
- Use a timer to stop or start recording automatically
- Create time-lapse screen recordings of long projects
- Export to multiple sizes, formats, and frame rates
Monosnap is a free screen capture program for Mac users. It comes with the option of recording your webcam, microphone, and system audio at the same time before starting recording. You can capture full screen, area, window, videos, or HIGs using hotkeys.
Once recorded, you can edit the video by adding annotations. Then it allows you to upload and share the link with your friends if you have connected to your Monosnap account.
- Create pixel-perfect screenshots
- Allow you to record screen to GIF with one click
- Offer editing options to highlight details, hide sensitive data with the Blur tool
- Upload and share the recorded video directly
The Bottom Line
On this page, we have discussed the top 10 best screen recorders for Mac. Which one will one choose?
Taken together, we highly recommend EaseUS RecExperts. It allows you to capture screens in high resolution, including 4K. Besides, using it, you can easily capture the system sound without downloading any other third-party software. Don't hesitate. Just download it!
Was This Page Helpful?
About the Author
Jane is an experienced editor for EaseUS focused on tech blog writing. Familiar with all kinds of video editing and screen recording software on the market, she specializes in composing posts about recording and editing videos. All the topics she chooses are aimed at providing more instructive information to users.