An external hard drive is a removable storage device outside a computer, providing more space to keep your data. Unlike an internal hard drive, it is portable and can connect to any computer by a USB cable. So here comes the question: what is a 16 TB external hard drive? Have you ever used a 16 TB external hard drive? Follow up, and you will find the answers after reading the article.
What Is A 16 TB External Hard Drive?
In the data era, external hard drives might be less important than they used to be since the SSD is improving and replacing the hard drives. However, the modern external hard drive has become more durable and stylish to keep its status, which enables you to add extra space to your computer or PC by plugging in a USB cable. Among the excellent modern external hard drives, a 16 TB external hard drive emerges as a capacious and high-performed new external drive. As its name suggests, this kind of external hard drive can add 16 TB of storage space for your computer, reducing the heavy burden on the internal hard drive and fixing the computer running slow.
Do We Need A 16 TB External Hard Drive?
It depends. If you need to store a large pile of photos, movies, and videos, which exhausted your internal storage space, you will need a 16 TB external hard to safekeeping your valuable data. In contrast, if your storage is enough and would neither slow the computer's speed nor lower its performance, you may not be necessary to buy a 16 TB external hard drive. In addition, we will briefly discuss what factors we should take into consideration before purchasing.
How to choose a 16 TB external hard drive
Choosing the right product requires you to think from different dimensions. However, selecting an external drive isn't as simple as just considering the price, and you need to take the following factors into consideration:
- Compatible devices: It is vital to figure out which device the external hard drive support. Some support on a laptop, and some can work finely on a desktop. Of course, there are 16 TB external hard drives that support both.
- Hardware interface: There are many interfaces like USB 2.0, 3.0, and Type C. We need to choose the proper hardware interface for your computer since it's very inconvenient to use an adopter for connection.
- Item Weight: The product's weight will determine whether it is portable and easy to transfer. The lighter it is, the more convenient for it to move and transfer.
There are many options for 16 TB in the market, but which is better? The following section will introduce three powerful ones to help you choose the most suitable 16TB external hard drive, from the compatible devices to the purchase price.
Recommendation on 16 TB External Hard Drives
Before going through the details, we have outlined our three best recommendations for external hard drives after practical tests:
In this part, we have collected detailed information about the three 16 TB external hard drives, such as the specifications, pros, and cons: Read on to learn the basics of the products you should know before buying an external hard drive.
WD 16TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive
WD Elements desktop external hard drive can offer up to 22 TB of reliable, high-capacity, add-on storage with fast data transfer rates and universal connectivity. It works right out-of-the-box with Windows PCs, which can instantly add storage once you plug into the USB port. In addition, the sleek design also advanced its quality and reliability.
- Compatible Devices: Desktop
- Hardware Interface: SuperSpeed USB 3.0/2.0
- Capacity: 16TB
- Price: $317
- Dimensions (LWH): 5.31 x 1.89 x 6.53 inches
- Weight: 1.24 lbs
- Hard Drive Rotational Speed:
Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/3M83Qo1
Seagate Expansion 16TB External Hard Drive
As used for storage capacity, Seagate Expansion 16TB External Hard Drive is designed for offices, homes, and dormitories. Except for the huge capacity, it can back up and transfer files by drag and drop. It can be set up by a simple connection to the PC without any software. Furthermore, it's simple to reformat this external hard drive for Mac computers.
- Compatible Devices: Laptop, Desktop
- Hardware Interface: USB 3.0
- Capacity: 16TB
- Price: $339.99
- Dimensions (LWH): 6.93 x 4.75 x 1.44 inches
- Weight: 2.09 lbs
Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/3pEm7l5
LaCie 2 big RAID 16TB External Hard Drive
LaCie 2 big RAID 16TB External Hard Drive is an excellent solution for photographers, filmmakers, and YouTubers. It offers 16TB of massive storage space, and it enjoys compatibility with USB C and USB 3.0 computers and easily configures RAID 0/1 using the step-by-step wizard to optimize the performance or redundancy of the system.
- Compatible Devices: Desktop
- Hardware Interface: USB 2.0, USB Type C, USB 3.0
- Capacity: 16TB
- Price: $699
- Dimensions (LWH): 4.65 x 3.67 x 8.54 inches
- Weight: 4.65 lbs
Purchase Link: https://amzn.to/3O5Kqmc
After viewing the specifications, pros, and cons of the three 16 TB products, if you are still irritatingly indecisive in making up your mind, watch the following editor review, which concludes the suitable product for different needs.
- Editor Review:
- The best choice varies according to different budgets and demands. From the price, you can choose WD 16TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive for its lower cost than other 16 TB external hard drives. However, if you value reliability and transfer speed, you'd better consider LaCie 2 big RAID 16TB External Hard Drive. Seagate Expansion Drive might surprise you if you are looking for a drive that is easy and fast to set up.
This article provides complete information on the 16 TB external hard drive, including the definition of a 16 TB external hard drive and the answer to whether you need it. In the last part, we have also rounded up the top three 16 TB products after rigorous tests. Each of these external hard drives has pros and cons, and you can select one according to your need after comparing the above 16 TB hard drives. We hope this post will help you better understand 16 TB external hard drives.
Was This Page Helpful?
Updated by Roxanne
Roxanne is one of the main contributors to EaseUS and has created multiple posts on digital devices like PCs, Mobile phones, tablets, Mac, etc. She loves to share ideas with people of the same interest.
CPU Comparison Guide: Compare and Choose the Best CPU in 2023
Dual Boot vs. Virtual Machine: Which One Is Better for You?
What Is Cloud NAS (Network Attached Storage)? [Full Information]
What Is The Difference Between Binary and Text Files? [Full Information]