If you have lost unsaved Notepad ++ files because the program suddenly crashes or corrupts, do not worry. This tutorial will show you how to restore lost or crashed Notepad ++ files with effective methods effectively. Follow the details to restore Notepad ++ session.
Check and follow fixes to restore crashed Notepad++:
|Workable Solutions||Step-by-step Troubleshooting|
|Fix 1. Fix Crashed Notepad ++||End task of running Notepad ++ > Restart Notepad ++ > Update or Re-install Notepad++...Full steps|
|Fix 2. Restore from Backup||Open a new Notepad ++ file > "Settings" > "Preference" > "Backup" > Find the Notepad++ backup path...Full steps|
|Fix 3. Recover Lost Notepad ++||Run EaseUS file recovery software > Scan Notepad ++ drive > Restore lost file...Full steps|
Notepad ++ crashed and deleted a recent file, help!
"Does anyone know how to restore lost Notepad ++ files deleted by the program itself? This morning, When I was editing a text document in Notepad ++, the Notepad ++ suddenly freeze the screen for a while, and then it crashed. When I restarted it, the file was deleted. I tried to find the lost Notepad ++ file in the Recycle Bin, but nothing was found. Do you know how to restore file lost due to Notepad ++ crash and how to fix Notepad ++ crash issue?"
Notepad ++, working as a powerful and prevalent text editor, allows users to edit files with diverse file extensions like .txt, .asp, .hpp, .css, .php, .xml, .html, etc. But Notepad ++ crash, corruption, or freezing happens now and then, which might delete your files and make the files lost unsaved. This page has gathered some useful tips to help you restore lost Notepad ++ files and fix crashed Notepad ++ program with ease.
Fix Crashed/Corrupted Notepad ++
If the Notepad ++ program suddenly crashes or stuck on a freezing screen, you can try the tips below to fix the crashed Notepad ++ programs before file recovery.
- 1. Stop or end the task of running Notepad ++ in Task Manager.
- 2. Restart Notepad ++ to see if it can boots up or not.
- 3. If it works again, then you can continue using the Notepad ++ to edit your files. If not, try to update the program.
- 4. If updating notepad++ does not work or no new version that can be updated, the last way to fix this problem is to reinstall Notepad ++.
- If you've decided to reinstall the Notepad ++ program, remember to copy the Notepad backup folder in advance, which keeps the unsaved files. You can follow this path to find the Notepad ++ backup folder: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\backup.
How to Restore Lost Notepad ++ Files from Backups
As long as you have turned on the period backup feature in Notepad ++, you have the chance to recover lost or corrupted Notepad++ files after a program crash.
You can directly find the backups on your PC by navigating to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\backup (usually). If the Notepad ++ backup folder is not there, follow the guidelines below to restore lost Notepad ++ files from backups.
Step 1. Find Notepad ++ backup location on PC.
1. Open a new Notepad ++ file, click on "Settings" > "Preference".
2. Click "Backup" on the Preference window, and find the Notepad ++ backup location on your PC in the "Backup path".
Note: Remember to check the current session for next launch so as to prevent Notepad ++ files from losing again. You can adjust the intervals of "Enable session snapshot and periodic backup", like Backup in every 7 or 5 seconds.
Step 2. Find Notepad ++ backups for lost files.
1. Copy the backup path of your Notepad and paste it into your Windows Explorer, press Enter to find the exact backup folder of your Notepad ++.
2. You will be able to see all Notepad backups listed there, and you can click "Date modified" to choose the most recent notepad file that you've lost, right-click on it and choose to open with Notepad.
Step 3. Save and restore lost Notepad ++ files.
1. Now you should be able to view the lost Notepad ++ files.
2. Click "Save As" or "Rename" to save your lost or unsaved Notepad＋＋files to a safe location.
How to Recover Deleted/Lost Notepad ++ Backup Files or Folder
When the Notepad ++ program deletes your .txt files by accident or you lose useful Notepad ++ files unsaved, you can restore from the backups. But if your backup files cannot be found (deleted from outside)on your PC, you can use professional hard drive recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Edition to recover deleted files without effort.
It allows you to scan the device deeply where you save the Notepad ++ program, and find all lost or deleted files for you within three simple steps.
1. Run the Notepad ++ file recovery program > 2. Scan and find lost Notepad ++ files > 3. Preview and restore.
Was This Page Helpful?
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Why choose EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard?
"EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard is the best we've seen. It's far from perfect, partly because today's advanced disk technology makes data-recovery more difficult than it was with the simpler technology of the past, but it's fast and efficient..." —PCMag
"The first thing you'll notice about EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro is that its interface is very clear and uncluttered, with only a small collection of self-explanatory controls. You won't find lots of extra options hidden in a system of hidden menus, either; what you see really is what you get." —techradar
"Recover lost files, even after deleting a partition or formatting your drive." —Macworld
- 2. Why cannot I recover 2GB data for free?
It is recommended to check the version installed is Free or Trial because they are different versions.
Trial has data preview function but cannot save any files, while the Free version enables to recover 2 GB files. The default free space is 500 MB and you may share the product on social media to get another 1.5 GB.
- 3. Why cannot the recovered files be opened?
A file is saved as 2 parts on the storage device: directory info (which is comprised by file name, time stamp and size info, etc.) and data content.
If the files with original file names and folder structures cannot be opened, one possible reason is the corrupted directory info. There is still a chance to recover the data content with the RAW Recovery method in our software.
- 4. Why isn't it suggested to recover the files back to the original drive?
The storage structure of the lost files would be altered or damaged by any changes on the drive. If you save the recovered files back to the same drive, the original data structures and data content would be corrupted or overwritten, which causes permanent data loss. So you should prepare another disk to save the files.
- 5. How can I check whether my data is recoverable or not before purchase?
The Free version helps you save 2GB files, so verify the recovery quality of our product before purchase.
- 6. How long does it take to scan the drive?
It strongly depends on the capacity of your hard drive and the performance of your computer. As reference,most drive recoveries can be completed in around 10 to 12 hours for a 1-TB healthy hard drive in general conditions.