Help: MBP suddenly shuts down while copying files, how to fix it?
"Hi there, do you know any methods that can prevent MacBook Pro from shutting down without a sign? My new MBP shut down randomly yesterday while I was copying some files from my USB. All my files were lost. How do I solve this problem? Any recommendations to fix Mac shuts down unexpectedly error? How?"
Are you having a similar problem on your Mac computer? Mac just shut down without any signs? How to fix such a problem and get all lost data restored? Don’t worry anymore. Here below we’ll provide you some quick fix method to solve MBP shut down error and effective solutions to prevent similar problem from happening on your Mac again. Just follow and find the method to help now.
Part 1. Quick fix for Mac shut down randomly without a sign
When you Mac come across a random shut down, the best choice is to reboot immediately and restart it again. And here are some operations you may need to do first:
- Press Command-Option-Escape to force quit applications that are not responding;
- Choose Sleep from Apple menu to put Mac to sleep mode, wake computer after it is in Sleep mode;
- Restart Mac by choosing Restart from Apple menu;
- Shot down Mac by clicking Shut Down from Apple menu;
- If Mac doesn’t respond, force Mac to shut down by pressing Power button for 10 seconds. (This will erase all your files.)
Part 2. Restore all lost files on Mac
If you have lost some data after restart Mac, or lost the files which you were copying when MBP suddenly shut down, your second step is to restore lost files. Here we’d like to recommend you try easy & effective Mac data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac which supports to restore all lost Mac data due to different reasons.
You can free download it, follow and refer to restore lost files on Mac hard drive now.
Part 3. Complete solution to fix Mac shut down error
You can selectively to choose one or two methods to get your problem solved now:
Method 1. Update to macOS Sierra 10.12.2
This method is officially offered by Apple to solve Mac shut down or stuck error. You can directly update macOS Sierra 10.12.2 from your Mac computer or download macOS Sierra 10.12.2 update and install in your Mac computer. If you haven’t get latest update yet in your Mac, below steps might help you get macOS Sierra 10.12.2:
- Go to developer.apple.com > Tab Develop > Click on Downloads;
- Log in with your developer account > Scroll down and click Download button for macOS Sierra 10.12.2;
- Sign in with developer account - username and password > Click Redeem to download the beta on your Mac then.
But one more thing you shall remember is to backup important data in advance so to avoid second data loss issue.
Method 2. Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
If the batter cannot be removed, follow below steps to rest SMC:
- Shut down Mac > Plug in MagSafe/USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your Mac;
- Press Shift-Control-Option and press power button at the same time;
- Release all key, press power button again to turn on Mac.
If the battery is removable, follow next steps:
- Shut down Mac > Disconnect MagSafe power adapter from Mac;
- Remove battery > Press and hold Power button for 5 seconds;
- Reconnect battery and MagSafe power adapter > Press power button to turn on Mac.
Steps to reset SMC on iMac/Mac mini/Mac pro/Xserve:
- Shut down Mac > Unplug power cord and wait 15 seconds;
- Plug the power cord back in and wait 5 seconds > Press power button and turn on Mac.
Method 3. Use anti-virus software to remove virus, ransomware and monitor batter to a healthy state
Sometimes, unknown virus or ransomware may cause unusual power off error on Mac computer. You can download and install anti-virus software to scan and remove them from Mac.
Another way is to set your battery in a healthy state that you check battery condition frequently and set computer’s Energy Saving settings to default.
If it’s hardware problems in Mac, you may also contact Apple support for help.
Was This Page Helpful?
- Top Twitch Clip Downloaders
- How to Partition A Hard Drive in Windows 10
- Fix Corrupted/Damaged SD Card Without Losing Data
- Top 10 Best Data Recovery Software on Windows and Mac
- Recover Deleted or Lost Android Photos/Videos with or without Computer
- [Easy & Fast] How to Recover Deleted Files on PC Windows 10/8/7
- How to Share Files Between Two Laptops with or Without WiFi in Windows 10
- How to Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD
- 6 Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPhone/iPad With/Without iTunes