How to Clone Raspberry Pi SD Card Windows 10
Q: How to clone Raspberry Pi SD Card on Windows？
“I want to make a backup of my Raspberry Pi because I have done a lot of work and repeating the process would take a lot of time. How does one go about cloning and making an image of a Raspberry Pi SD card on Windows 10? A step by step guide would be very helpful!”
The Raspberry Pi is a small device that is usually used as a media center or retro gaming station. But sometimes, it would freeze or crash, requiring you to unplug it to get it going again, which would corrupt the SD card. When facing such a situation, you have to set up the Pi from scratch. It is really annoying!
To avoid such a problem, you are strongly advised to clone Raspberry Pi SD card for backup. In this post, we will show you the simplest way to clone Raspberry Pi SD card on Windows 10 by using an easy backup and restoring software.
Free Download Data Backup Software to Clone Raspberry Pi SD Card
You can clone SD card on Raspberry Pi with EaseUS Todo Backup, which enables you to clone SD card on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP. With this data backup and restoring tool, you can:
- Clone Raspberry Pi SD card to smaller or bigger SD card with simple clicks.
- Back up SD card on Raspberry Pi to a hard drive, an external device, NAS, OneDrive, or Google Drive.
- Restore the all-set-up image back to another SD card or the same one quickly when corruption happens.
Except for SD card backup, EaseUS file backup software is also good at file backup, system backup, and disk/partition backup. What's more, the system clone feature allows you to clone Windows 10 OS to SSD without reinstallation.
How to Clone Raspberry Pi SD Card with A Step-by-Step Guide
Now, download the reliable EaseUS SD card clone tool and learn how to clone Raspberry Pi SD card with this software with simple steps. The following instructions show you how to clone Raspberry Pi SD card to another. You can change the destination device or storage according to your needs.
01. Connect A Second Hard Drive
Tools you need: a screwdriver, a Power Splitter Adapter cable, a SATA cable or an USB to SATA adapter. Make sure the target HDD/SSD is larger than the used space of the current drive.
- Connect the target disk to your computer.
- For desktop, open the mainframe with screwdriver and connect the disk to the mainboard with a SATA cable, then connect the disk's Power Splitter Adapter Cable into the power supply box.
- For laptop, you can use an USB to SATA adapter to connect the disk.
- Initialize a new HDD/SSD to MBR or GPT before you can use it (To keep the target new disk the same style as that of the current disk).
02. Download a Disk Cloning Utility
EaseUS Todo Backup is the cloning software that integrates multiple functions, including system/disk clone, backup, restoring , and system transfer, etc. In the disk clone field, this tool stands out due to the following aspects:
- Covers as many as disk cloning demands, such as update hard drive to a larger one, clone OS, etc.
- Disk cloning has the highest success rate among all similar products on the market.
- Supports all kinds of disk types, including IDE, EIDE, SATA, ESATA, ATA, SCSI, iSCSI, USB 1.0/2.0/3.0.
- Supports cloning of basic/dynamic disks and MBR/GPT disks.
03. Get Ready with the Clone Procedures
System Clone: Choose System Clone > choose the destination disk > click Proceed to start. In Advanced options, you can choose the option of Create a portable Windows USB drive to clone the system to a USB drive.
Disk/Partition Clone: Choose Clone > Select the resource disk or partition > Select the target disk > Click Proceed to start.
04. Boot from the Clone Hard Drive
Option 1. If you want to keep both the old disk and the new disk
- Restart PC and press F2 (F8,F10, DEL...) to enter BIOS settings.
- In the Boot option, select new HDD/SSD as the new boot drive.
- Exit BIOS and restart the computer.
Option 2. If you want to only keep the new disk
- Unplug the old disk and make sure the new disk is well connected.
- Restart your computer.
- Option 2 is a better hard drive retention plan for laptops
Finish all three steps, you can successfully clone Raspberry Pi SD card to another card. And if you are looking for a tutorial to clone USB flash drive, this guide is also helpful! Just try it whenever you have a need.
You can easily clone any SD card, including Raspberry Pi SD card with EaseUS disk/partition backup software to protect data. Whether you want to clone a larger SD card to a smaller SD card or copy a smaller SD card to a larger SD card, you can do it effortlessly with this data backup software.
Read More About Raspberry Pi SD Card Clone
This part covers more frequently asked questions related to how to clone Raspberry Pi SD card. Check details.
How do I clone an SD card?
Free download EaseUS Todo Backup software to clone an SD card with ease:
- 1. Connect your SD to your computer and check if it can be correctly recognized.
- 2. Start EaseUS Todo Backup. Click the left panel and choose Clone.
- 3. Select your SD card to clone and set the storage device.
- 4. Preview the disk layout and then click Proceed to clone the SD card.
How do I copy my Raspberry Pi SD card to the bigger card?
Step-by-step procedures to copy Raspberry Pi SD card to a bigger SD card:
- 1. Connect the source and target SD cards to your computer with card readers.
- 2. Download and run the powerful SD card backup tool - EaseUS Todo Backup.
- 3. Select the Clone feature and choose the Raspberry Pi SD card.
- 4. Select the bigger new SD card and start copying the files.
How do I clone a bootable SD card?
Use EaseUS data backup software to clone a bootable SD card:
- 1. Download and install EaseUS Todo Backup on your Windows OS computer.
- 2. Connect the bootable SD card to your computer and make sure it can be detected.
- 3. Launch EaseUS Todo Backup and choose the Clone option on the left pane.
- 4. Select the bootable SD card as the source disk to clone.
- 5. Select the destination device to start the backup.
How do I back up my Raspberry Pi SD card images?
You can use a data backup program to back up Raspberry Pi SD card to Windows hard drive or other storage devices. The backup software will copy the entire SD card as an image.
If the SD card and data corrupted, you can quickly restore the image back to the SD card, then, plug it into the Raspberry Pi and run again.
Was This Page Helpful?
Tracy joined in EaseUS in 2013 and has been working with EaseUS content team for over 7 years. Being enthusiastic in computing and technology, she writes tech how-to articles and share technical solutions about Windows & Mac data recovery, file/system backup and recovery, partition management and iOS/Android data recovery.
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More