How to Clone Laptop Hard Drive
What Will You Need to Clone a Laptop Hard Drive
For an easy and successful laptop hard drive clone, you need to make full preparations in advance. Here are all that you need:
1. A Destination Drive
You should have a destination hard drive, no matter it's an HDD, SSD or even a removable disk, only make sure that it has at least the same size as the source disk or larger.
2. A Reliable Disk Cloning Software
You'd better find a powerful, safe and easy-to-use disk cloning software, so you can clone laptop drive to new drive successfully with no hassle. Here we recommend you EaseUS Windows backup software as well hard disk/partition cloning software. It can help you copy all the content on the previous disk to the new hard drive with the least effort.
How to Clone a Laptop Hard Drive with Easeus Todo Backup
Useful tips for you to clone a disk/partition with success:
- If the original hard disk contains the system partition, please tick "Shut down the computer when the operation completed" option. The software will shut down automatically the computer when the clone completed.
- Remove either the source disk or destination disk from the computer so that the computer can boot normally when the source disk contains boot partition.
- If you want to boot from the destination disk, we recommend you change the boot order in BIOS.
- If the computer fails to boot from the destination disk after the clone, we suggest you clone the source disk to another disk with the same HDD interface.
- If you choose to clone a hidden partition, the cloned one will be unhidden.
- The large hard drive can be cloned to small hard drive as long as the capacity of destination hard drive is equal to or larger than the used space of the original hard drive.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Todo Backup and click "Clone".
Step 2. Select a source disk/partition you want to clone. Click "Next".
Step 3. Select a destination disk/partition. Under "Advanced options", tick the option "Optimize for SSD" or "Sector by sector clone" when it's necessary. Click "Next".
Step 4. Preview the disk layout and then click "Proceed" to execute the disk/partition cloning with EaseUS Todo Backup.
Was This Page Helpful?
Author Jean has been writing tech articles since she was graduated from university. She has been part of the EaseUS team for over 5 years. Her special focuses are data recovery, disk partitioning, data space optimization, data backup and Mac OS. By the way, she's an aviation fan!
Taking everything into consideration, we can say that EaseUS Todo Backup Home can offer you a little extra sense of security with a set of advanced tools. The interface provides quick adaptation, every process guiding you all the way through so you don't get stuck or further damage your system rather than keeping it safe. Read More
EaseUS Todo Backup Free lets you create backups of your important files or your entire computer through its streamlined interface. Just choose the backup type you'd like to get started, and let the program do the reset. Read More
EaseUS includes all the features I expect from backup software like versioning, incremental backups, and scheduling. For more advanced users, EaseUS allows you to install a pre-boot environment onto your hard drive so you can use it to restore files without burning a CD or putting it on an external USB drive. Read More