When you try to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1/XP/Vista or Windows 10 previous build, you may receive a "Windows needs more space" error message stating that you do not have sufficient free disk space for the upgrade. Actually, it is one of the most common reasons for Windows 10 update failure.
Windows 10 needs more space on the system drive to store some necessary files, but your C: drive does not have enough free space, so "Windows needs more space" error occurs. It usually happens when you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1/XP/Vista. And sometimes, it also happens when you tried to update to the latest Windows 10 build which takes up much more disk space than previous builds.
When you fail to install Windows 10 update due to low disk space problem, please don’t worry! Here are a few possible ways for you to fix the error.
Actually, you have three ways to do this job: clean up junk files in Windows 10, remove programs that you no longer use, or backup files to external hard drive and then delete them from your computer.
When you are not able to fix insufficient disk space error during Windows 10 update by freeing up Windows 10 disk space, you can try to extend system partition with disk management or EaseUS free partition software. In fact, it is the easiest and most efficient way to "Windows needs more space" error during upgrade to Windows 10.
To extend C drive with EaseUS free partition software, follow these steps:
1. Launch EaseUS free partition software, right click the partition behind C, select "Resize/Move partition" and drag the partition handle leftwards to resize D drive. Then there will be unallocated space. If there is unallocated space behind the system partition, please directly go to step 3.
2. Move the drive rightwards to let the unallocated space be behind the system partition (C: drive) and click OK.
3. Select the system partition (C: drive), right click it and select "Resize/Move partition", drag the partition handle rightwards to extend system partition (C: drive).
4. Click "Apply" to finish the job.
To extend C drive with disk management tool, follow these steps:
Before starting to extend C drive with disk management tool, please note that it requires you to delete the partition behind system drive and result in data loss disaster. So, please make sure that the deleted partition does not contain important data. Or you need to move data to other partitions firstly.
1. Right-click computer iCon and choose Manage.
2. At the left side, click Storage and Disk Management.
3. Right click the partition behind system drive and choose Delete Volume.
4. Right-click system drive and choose Extend Volume and click Next.
5. Then you need to specify the size that you want to add to system partition and click Next. At last, click Finish.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat