Android phone users, including Samsung, OnePlus, Sony, HTC, LG, Android One & Google Pixel, encountered a common issue that happened to external SD card while they're trying to format it, especially after they updated Android OS to Marshmallow 6.0 or 6.0.1. And following is the exact error message they got.
command '10 volume partition disk:179,0 public' failed with 'null'
The figure 10 may be replaced by 8, 12, 18 and others, so does 179,0 appearing in the message. So, the general problem is that they're unable to format an SD card due to volume partition disk failed with null. Let's see an example.
"I tried to use sd card as internal storage in moto g3 running android 6.0. I followed steps on screen and while it was formatting sd card, it crashed with error "common 21 volume partition disk 179,64 public failed with null". Now my sd card can't be read by any device and Moto g3 keeps on asking to format sd card and it fails to do so with above error. Is there any way to fix this ?"
The reason for Android phone owners not being able to format the micro SD card on their phone is most probably because the card is damaged or corrupted, and it needs to be fixed in order to make the phone read or recognize the card.
Since the micro SD card has been corrupted and the cell phone sends such an error, you can only bring it back to life by a full format on PC.
Step 1. Recover data from corrupted or damaged SD card
In many cases when a card was damaged or corrupted, you can no longer access to the data inside. For a secure rescue of the memory card, you're suggested to recover data from damaged SD card with the best free data recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Altogether 3 steps will help easily restore data from a memory card with volume partition disk failed with null error (like Toshiba, Samsung, Lexar, SanDisk, etc.)
1) Select the SD memory card where data lost and click "Scan" button.
2) After quick scan finished, the deep scan will start immediately in order to find most lost data files.
3) Select the files you want to retrieve from the corrupted SD card by clicking "Recover" button.
Step 2. Format corrupted micro SD card on PC
Instead of formatting the card on the phone, where most users received the 'volume partition disk failed with null' error, we recommend you try to format it on a PC.
Usually, there are two free ways to format a corrupted SD card. It's by Windows Disk Management or a third-party free partition manager. From our experience, a majority people will have trouble in using the built-in disk management program due to Windows was unable to complete the format error.
So, please download EaseUS Partition Master, it's the best corrupted SD card format software to fix Android micro SD card volume partition disk failed with null problem.
1) Take out the SD card from your Android phone, connect it correctly to a Windows computer and wait until Windows detect the card.
2) Launch EaseUS Partition Master. Right-click the micro SD card with 'volume partition disk failed with null' error and select "Format partition".
3) A mini window pops out, on which you can edit the partition label and choose a file system. Here you should choose FAT32 so that the card can work on the phone.
4) Click "Apply" to confirm to format the SD card.
By carefully following the guides above, you shall now solve the SD card volume partition disk failed with null problem without losing important data.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat