Sometimes, when you trying to access some files or folders on the computer, external hard drive or other USB devices, "The file cannot be accessed by the system" message with error 0X80070780 might pop up and prevent you from doing that. The issue can happen in Windows 10/8/7 due to various reasons.
1. System files corruption or missing
2. Hard disk errors or bad sectors
3. Unknown virus or malware infection
When the issue attacks, data recovery from external hard drive, USB drive or PC become a problem. But, don't worry! Here, we create a list of solutions to troubleshoot "The file cannot be accessed by the system" error in Windows 10/8/7. No matter you are suffering the error for what reasons, just try them one by one to find a fix and regain access to your files.
One of the factors that might be responsible for "The file cannot be accessed by the system" with error 0X80070780 is system files corruption. So, please run System File Checker tool to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If it is the problem, you will be able to access your data and no longer get the error message after repairing the system file.
1. Click Start, go to All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
2. At the command prompt, type the command “sfc /scannow” and then press Enter to continue.
3. The sfc /scannow command will automatically scan all protected system files and replace the incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Just wait patiently to let the process complete.
If the above method doesn’t work, it suggests that system file corruption is not the reason that caused "The file cannot be accessed by the system" error. So, please take several minutes to check & repair hard disk errors and bad sectors with EaseUS free partition software. It is simple but helpful in solving error 0X80070780 if disk error is the cause.
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition software, right-click the disk you want to fix and click "Check partition".
2. Choose the way that you want to use to check and repair disk errors or bad sectors: "Check Partition Properties", "Call Windows Chkdsk" or "Surface Test" and Click "OK" to continue.
3. Let the software automatically check and repair disk errors and bad sectors. And finally click "OK" to finish the process.
If "The file cannot be accessed by the system" error still exist after trying the above two methods, you may need to fix the issue and recover inaccessible data with third-party data recovery software. Here EaseUS disk data recovery is ready to helpful at any time. It provides full compatibility with Windows 10/8/7 or other Windows versions.
Step 1. Launch EaseUS data recovery software, select the disk from which you want to recover data and click "Scan" to search for all the lost and existing files.
Step 2. A quick scan will start first. After it completed, a deep scan will automatically launch in order to find more files.
Step 3. After scan, preview all the listed recoverable files (only Word documents, text, photos and emails are supported) and choose those you want. Finally, click "Recover" button to retrieve them back. Here, you'd better save all the recovered files on a different drive or device in case of data recovery failure.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat