Sometimes, when you plug in your external hard drive or USB devices, you may find that it is completely not recognized or showing up on your PC. The problem occurs frequently and can finally result in data loss disaster. Until now, Hard drive not showing up issue has made trouble for a large number of users. In view of this, we create some troubleshooting steps in this page to teach you how to backup or recover data on not recognized external hard drive with EaseUS disk data recovery and how to display or find missing external hard drive on computer in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
When you find your external hard drive not showing up in Computer, you need first open the Disk Management tool and check if it shows up in disk management.
To do so, press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
This will help you determine why your hard drive isn’t recognized and find a right solution to display or find the missing drive.
If you see your external drive listed in the Disk Management window, it suggests that the drive doesn't appear in your Computer window because it doesn't contain any partitions. In this case, you can first backup or recover data on external hard drive and then format and partition it properly, so that Windows system can access and recognize it.
To backup or recover data on not recognized external hard drive:
Step 1. Connect the external hard drive to PC, launch EaseUS data recovery software, select the disk and click "Scan".
Step 2. A quick scan will start first to search all the lost and existing data on the disk. And after that, a deep scan will automatically launch in order to find more files.
Step 3. After the scan, preview all the listed recoverable files (only Word documents, text, photos and emails are supported) and choose those you want. Finally, click "Recover" button to retrieve them back from the external hard drive which is not recognized or showing up. Here, you'd better save all the recovered files on a different drive or device in case of data recovery failure.
To format and partition hard drive to make it show up on computer:
1. Press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt . msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
2. In the Disk Management, right click the disk partition you need to format and then choose Format.
3. In the pop-up window, you can set file system and cluster size and then click OK.
If you don't see the external hard drive in disk management, please try the follwing methods to make it recognized and show up on Computer.
Method 1. Change drive letter to avoid collisions
1. Press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
2. Locate your external hard drive, right-click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
3. Assign a drive letter for the drive and click OK button to save all the changes.
Method 2. Update disk driver to make Windows recognize the hard drive
1. Open Computer and choose System Properties.
2. In the task bar on the left, click device manager and next to USB controller click "+".Then you’ll see a yellow exclamation mark.
3. Right click and choose update driver software, then click automatically search for driver software online...
These are all the solutions for hard drive not recognized and showing up problem. You can try the one works best for your case to display or find missing external hard drive on computer in Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat