Windows 10: Disk 1 is unknown, not initialized, unallocated - external Western Digital hard drive
"When I plug in my external hard drive, Western Digital My Passport 0740 (500GB), it says that it's successfully installed however it does not appear in My Computer. Also when I go into system tools it says that disk 1 is unknown, not initialized, unallocated. Any one knows how to recover data when hard drive not initialized or how to initialize disk without losing data? I have some important pics on the disk. please help!"
Like the above cases, "Disk Unknown Not Initialized" issue usually attacks unexpectedly in all the Windows version like Windows 10, 8, 7, 2008 and annoys numerous users. When it happens, your external hard drive may show “unallocated space” or nothing in Disk Management, so you are not able to go access the data on this disk.
Disk unknown not initialized issue can be caused by various reasons like virus infection, file system damage, bad sectors, MBR corruption, partition loss, etc. If you can’t figure out the cause, please try the following 4 solutions one by one until the issue is solved successfully!
To fix disk unknown not initialized issue, the easiest way is to initialize the hard drive first and then recover data. To do it, right-click My computer --> Manage to run Disk Management, Here, right-click the hard drive and click "Initialize Disk". In the dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize and choose MBR or GPT partition style.
To recover data after fixing disk unknown not initialized error:
Here, if you have important files on the external hard drive, you can try EaseUS free data recovery software to retrieve them back after disk initializing.
1. Connect the external hard drive to PC, launch EaseUS free data recovery software, select the drive and click "Scan" button.
2. The software will soon start a quick scan to find the lost & existing data on the disk. After it completed, a deep scan will automatically launch in order to find more files.
3. After the scan, preview and choose the files you want. Finally, click "Recover" button to retrieve and save them your PC or another disk.
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition software.
2. Select the external hard drive, right-click and select "Rebuild MBR", and then choose the proper Operating System version.
3. Apply the operation to add a pending operation of rebuilding MBR.
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition software, right-click the hard drive and click "Check partition".
2. Choose the way that you want to use to check and repair bad sectors: "Check Partition Properties", "Call Windows Chkdsk" or "Surface Test" and Click "OK" to continue.
3. Let the software automatically check and repair bad sectors. And finally click "OK" to finish the process.
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition software, go to Wizard > Partition recovery wizard, click "Next" to open EaseUSPartition recover y wizard.
2. Choose Automatic recovery mode or Manual recovery mode, and click "Next" to make the software search deleted or lost partitions on the hard drive.
3. After searching, select the partitions you want to recover and click "Next" to continue. Finally, click "Proceed" to confirm the recovery operation.
30 days Money Back Guarantee
Trusted by Millions of Users
7 X 24 Service & Live Chat