How to retrieve formatted data from hard disk or partition?
In this article we can get acquaintance with how to retrieve formatted data from Hard Disk or Partition with easy recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Try to retrieve formatted data from hard disk or partition
Many people search methods to retrieve formatted data after they format hard drives by accident. Some people may ask for assistance from data recovery service center; while others may seek some data recovery software to retrieve formatted data among much same-type software. However, they don't know which one should be chosen at all to retrieve formatted data from disk/partition. Before all of them, we should learn something about format and un format.
Format a hard disk
Every hard disk should be formatted before use; it is the process of preparing a hard disk or other storage medium for use, including setting up an empty file system. Formatting a disk involves two quite different processes known as low-level and high-level formatting.
High-level formatting: a process of writing the file system structures on the disk that let the disk to be used for storing programs and data.
Low-level formatting: a process of formatting disk surfaces and installing characteristics like sector numbers that are visible to, and used by the disk controller hardware.
It is not necessary to format your disk through low-level format because it will physically damage the disk and cut short the life of the disk. A high-level format will suffice for most purposes by wiping out the control structures and writing new ones. The old information is lost and the disk appears as new after a high-level formatting.
Unformat a hard disk
Microsoft Windows Operating Systems provide a program for users to format hard disks directly, but no program to unformat hard disks. So sometimes when you accidentally format the computer system or hard disk and reformat them to retrieve formatted data, it often shows following errors: (these errors are frequently displayed on a black screen with white text)
- Operating System not found
- Invalid or corrupt FAT
- Cannot find file or program
- Invalid command.com
- Primary/Secondary Hard disk failure
- Non system disk
- Disk error
What more serious is that, if we accidentally format a disk where there are useful data, it's not useful to reformat to retrieve data from formatted disk/partition. We must note that reformatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. A computer specialist of the data recovery service center should be able to retrieve formatted data which contains vital information. You can also try using Windows data recovery software to retrieve formatted data from disk/partition by yourself.
Retrieve formatted data from hard disk or partition
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can retrieve formatted data from disk/partition in following cases:
- Unformat FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS partition from formatted hard drives via quick or complete format.
- Retrieve files & folders formatted through the Windows Command Line or from DOS.
- Retrieve files & folders formatted through disk manager tools, such as EaseUS Partition Master, Partition Magic.
- Support localized and long filenames.
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Complete Recovery can retrieve formatted data from various files types and storage media including: Hard Drives, Zip Disks. Digital camera cards, USB Drives, and any other storage device whose drive letter is displayed in Windows "My computer".
Step by step to recover data from formatted disk/partition
1. Download EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and launch it. Click the "Complete Recovery" button on the main window of Data Recovery Wizard.
2. Select the file types you want to recover.
3. The second screen on the "Complete Recovery" tool will display a list of file types. After choosing the file types, you will see a list of volumes found on the drives in your system. If the volume does not have a drive letter, the volume will be listed at the hindmost and the drive letter will be instead by "*".
4. You should choose the volume that was formatted and click "NEXT" to start searching on this volume.
5. After this scanning is finished, you will see file/folder tree very soon.
6. Select the file or directory that you want to recover and then save the data to a healthy drive.
EaseUS Software provides a trial version for data recovery and users can free download it. Actually, trial version has identification features but it cannot save recovered files. So, after identifying the lost data, users should use a full version to retrieve formatted data. If anyone wants to retrieve formatted data from disk/partition, just try EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
- How to recover formatted hard drives?
- Tutorial for recovering data after format
- How to recover files after format?
- When to use quick format recovery?